Texas Tech 2/3 6:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • leo from jersey
    replied
    I also like the switching of the bigs. Keep them fresh and destroy in the second half.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    I like the energy on offense. They need to have more unison, but so far so good.

    Leave a comment:


  • sedz
    replied
    We're doing the right thing against PnR, staying with Washington. TTU has already taken several midrange shots.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot

    I'll be honest Leo, I do not see the comparison there at all other than height. Lawrence smoked his way out of the rotation.
    Neither went inside. It didn't matter if he smoked. He didn't smoke in HS and still refused to go inside.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by longtimefan

    Hope he’s 100%.
    He's starting so I guess so?

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by leo from jersey

    Reminds me more of the so called #1 recruit Jermaine Lawrence. At least gets within 5 feet as Jermaine stayed at the ft line or beyond. He also refused to bang and I saw smaller guys dominate him in HS. Once he got the scholarship, that was the end although many said an injury made him timid. Regardless he was timid.
    I'll be honest Leo, I do not see the comparison there at all other than height. Lawrence smoked his way out of the rotation.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31
    hooray -- John is one tough Bearcat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • longtimefan
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31
    Hope he’s 100%.

    Leave a comment:


  • GoBearcats31
    replied
    Newman is good for tonight https://x.com/sspringersports/status...A2NHZ_hNyS2mFg

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by sedz
    Vik is mostly playing the 4 in conference play. We shouldn't expect him to play like a 5. His style isn't the problem. He's just not making shots right now. He's still creating for others, rebounding, and has the highest block plus steal rate on the team. Even with his recent dip in scoring, he's tied for third on the team in box plus minus with Aziz.
    what have you done lately and against better and stronger competition. Without fundamental skills and the toughness to bang inside, I wonder if we are seeing Vik at his best and this is what we get. Sadly, we get it in the best conference in BB. Regardless, I am hoping he was ill and tonight we see a different player.

    Leave a comment:


  • sedz
    replied
    Vik is mostly playing the 4 in conference play. We shouldn't expect him to play like a 5. His style isn't the problem. He's just not making shots right now. He's still creating for others, rebounding, and has the highest block plus steal rate on the team. Even with his recent dip in scoring, he's tied for third on the team in box plus minus with Aziz.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot

    First off, he's been sick for the last three games. Second, I think you're putting words in his mouth, so to speak. I have no idea why he would go into the portal to be honest. There's too much uncertainly in the front court roster for next year. There's also some pretty serious non-basketball reasons why Vik would stay.

    I'm repeating myself here from a while back but Viktor Lakhin was recruited by Brannen as a Euro-style stretch 3. That's his preferred position. UC has been playing Vik out of position since he got here out of necessity. Now that we have a true 4/5 combo with Aziz / Jamille, there's nowhere for him to go because we have a ton of depth at the 3, plus Rayvon in redshirt land.

    Vik's still the best offensively talented post player we have but banging in the post was never his thing. European players don't grow up playing that way. He's not really a physical guy despite his height and size. He gets flustered in the post when he's up against someone who's more athletic than he is. I was at the game in Ft. Worth against Houston in the AAC tourney last year . The Houston post players just destroyed him. He was hurt in that game but even if he hadn't been, that type of athletic post rebounder and defensive presence gives him all kinds of problems. Part of it is probably mental at this point and that's why you see him travel a lot. He gets bodied up on the catch and tries to think and gather himself rather than flowing to the hoop like he can on pick and roll action.

    I would compare the situation to our expectation of Yancy Gates way back. Huge human. Would rather shoot from 10ft. We spent a lot of energy trying to get Yancy to be something he wasn't. Same with Vik. Stop trying to force him to be Shaq and settle for Dirk. Both guys were pretty good in different ways. Dirk is something he can handle.
    Reminds me more of the so called #1 recruit Jermaine Lawrence. At least gets within 5 feet as Jermaine stayed at the ft line or beyond. He also refused to bang and I saw smaller guys dominate him in HS. Once he got the scholarship, that was the end although many said an injury made him timid. Regardless he was timid.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jeff Burk
    replied
    Originally posted by sedz
    Vik has been one of our best 5 even in conference play. He's been better than Jamille on both ends of the floor.
    I agree, even though he has struggled the last few games. I think Jamille needs a lot of work on defense.

    Leave a comment:


  • sedz
    replied
    Vik has been one of our best 5 even in conference play. He's been better than Jamille on both ends of the floor.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobot
    replied
    And now on to Lubbock
    Last edited by Lobot; 02-03-2024, 02:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...