Alabama St. 12/17 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bearcatbret
    replied
    Baba Miller’s Career-High Night Powers Bearcats Past Alabama State
    The Cincinnati men’s basketball team delivered its most lopsided victory of the 2025–26 season Wednesday night, rolling past Alabama State 88-51 inside Fifth Third Arena.



    The 37-point margin marked the Bearcats’ largest win of the campaign, fueled by a dominant showing from senior forward Baba Miller. Miller poured in a career-high 26 points on an ultra-efficient 11-of-12 shooting performance, while pulling down 14 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season. He became just the second player in college basketball this year to record at least 25 points and 14 rebounds while shooting better than 90 percent from the field — and the first Bearcat to accomplish the feat since the 1996–97 season.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by Rufus
    I'm not a stat guy like Sedz, although I do find them fascinating and a place for them in today's bball evaluations. But I did see a different energy, a different dynamic, different demeanor in the players last night. It may have been JJ's return or it may have been Harris' not getting hardly any pt. But with JJ back I think if anyone needs benching it is Kriisa. Harris has his share of to's like Kriisa but the majority of his shots come from drives or inside the arc whereas Kriisa thinks he's Jadon Kidd with the ball and most of his shots are airball threes. So I don't know why "Buck " was left out. Miller seems enthralled with Kriisa potential that really isn't consistent enough to warrant starting him. I think too if Day Day is going to get his points he needs to be more assertive as well. And as someone said above, the last five minutes or so was a show of air balls from three land worth cringing about, and I don't know why Miller tolerates that. We have a team that too easily gets in that habit and even though we had an over thirty point lead it's no excuse to just the lunatics run the assylum so to speak. I don't know who the guilty parties were but the guilty should be benched.
    Terry alluded to Harris and his limited PT. It may have had something to do with practice. Nothing more was said. Again, I am glad Tillery ran the point. Was he Jason Kidd? No, But he needs the development before he transfers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rufus
    replied
    I'm not a stat guy like Sedz, although I do find them fascinating and a place for them in today's bball evaluations. But I did see a different energy, a different dynamic, different demeanor in the players last night. It may have been JJ's return or it may have been Harris' not getting hardly any pt. But with JJ back I think if anyone needs benching it is Kriisa. Harris has his share of to's like Kriisa but the majority of his shots come from drives or inside the arc whereas Kriisa thinks he's Jadon Kidd with the ball and most of his shots are airball threes. So I don't know why "Buck " was left out. Miller seems enthralled with Kriisa potential that really isn't consistent enough to warrant starting him. I think too if Day Day is going to get his points he needs to be more assertive as well. And as someone said above, the last five minutes or so was a show of air balls from three land worth cringing about, and I don't know why Miller tolerates that. We have a team that too easily gets in that habit and even though we had an over thirty point lead it's no excuse to just the lunatics run the assylum so to speak. I don't know who the guilty parties were but the guilty should be benched.

    Leave a comment:


  • sedz
    replied
    Originally posted by swilsonsp4

    Defense was not an issue last night. The Hornets rarely got a good look and took to playing one-on-one, often just jacking up an off-balance prayer. UC, which have been elite at forcing low shooting percentages all season (#12 nationally, per barttorvik.com), were just as effective against ASU. The 51 points that ASU scored were their fewest, by a large margin, thus far in the season. For example: @ FSU 64, @ UAB 74, @ CO 66, @ NM 87, @ Mizzou 77.

    Yes, the defensive rebounding was an issue, but the Hornets shot 29% from the floor, largely because they weren't open. They crashed hard, which often led to fast breaks. Despite the Bearcats yielding 17 offensive boards, ASU managed only five second-chance points.
    Agree. We surrendered 0.73 points per possession, the lowest we've surrendered all year and the lowest ASU has scored all year.

    They only had more offensive rebounds because they missed so many shots. We missed 34 field goals, ASU missed 49. We had a higher OReb rate.


    Leave a comment:


  • swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by leeraymond372@gmail.com

    I was really bothered by the bad defense all game.
    Defense was not an issue last night. The Hornets rarely got a good look and took to playing one-on-one, often just jacking up an off-balance prayer. UC, which have been elite at forcing low shooting percentages all season (#12 nationally, per barttorvik.com), were just as effective against ASU. The 51 points that ASU scored were their fewest, by a large margin, thus far in the season. For example: @ FSU 64, @ UAB 74, @ CO 66, @ NM 87, @ Mizzou 77.

    Yes, the defensive rebounding was an issue, but the Hornets shot 29% from the floor, largely because they weren't open. They crashed hard, which often led to fast breaks. Despite the Bearcats yielding 17 offensive boards, ASU managed only five second-chance points.

    Leave a comment:


  • BearKatz
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatjd
    I thought Jizzle played a great game for his first game back. On CWM post game show he complained that we took some bad shots. However, what did he do about it. NOTHING. These players stayed in the game.
    If this were Huggins, they would have been immediately taken out of the game. So what is CWM doing to stop the bad shots? Nothing & that's why they continue shoot them, no repercussions. Horrible coaching!
    Jizzle played great last night, was in game shape. The last (5) Minutes of the game was nothing but bad shots! Everyone was jacking up 3s, Jizzle finally hit one to push the score to 88.

    Most Coaches would find that unacceptable, but Wes sit's on his hands and does absolutely nothing! and that's one of the biggest problems with the team.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatlifer
    replied
    To answer bearcatbret: I prefer the blowouts. If we get behind by too much then we leave. As a side note...there was a pretty hearty chorus of boos when Wes Miller was announced last night.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatjd
    replied
    I thought Jizzle played a great game for his first game back. On CWM post game show he complained that we took some bad shots. However, what did he do about it. NOTHING. These players stayed in the game.
    If this were Huggins, they would have been immediately taken out of the game. So what is CWM doing to stop the bad shots? Nothing & that's why they continue shoot them, no repercussions. Horrible coaching!
    Last edited by bearcatjd; 12-18-2025, 10:16 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by Gmann
    I agree with Leeraymond. It was nice to get a win and see Jizzle play well and help the team. However none of that matters unless they go to Clemson and WN not just play well or show progress. It's too late for any moral victories to matter because of the hole they dug for themselves. Also 23% (8-35) on 3PT shots is just awful yet they continue to want to shoot them because it's easy. Kriisa, Abaev and Tillery were the main culprits.
    I think CWM tells Tillery to shoot the three to draw defenders in his role as PG. Time will tell if the defenders back off and pack the inside. Time will tell if Tillery starts to hit the threes. he is a very nervous player and need a boost in confidence. Last night he got time running the point even with JJ in the game. He plays like a frosh, but we are going to need him very much to play with confidence.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gmann
    replied
    I agree with Leeraymond. It was nice to get a win and see Jizzle play well and help the team. However none of that matters unless they go to Clemson and WN not just play well or show progress. It's too late for any moral victories to matter because of the hole they dug for themselves. Also 23% (8-35) on 3PT shots is just awful yet they continue to want to shoot them because it's easy. Kriisa, Abaev and Tillery were the main culprits.

    Leave a comment:


  • leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by leeraymond372@gmail.com
    I was not impressed with this win. An undermanned and undersized team came into UC's gym and pulled down 17 offensive rebounds to UC's 13. Kriisa and Abaev combined went 4-20 and 2-16 from three to shoot 20% and 12.5% (three), respectively. James back in the lineup was good to see. He hit for 16 off of 6-9 shooting. Both Kriisa and Abaev combined to hit for 16.

    I was really bothered by the bad defense all game. Alabama State did not have the shooters to take advantage of the bad defense. ASU actually had more shots at the rim than UC. Miller allows any and everything to occur on the court without accountability. That is why we see any and everything, good and bad, from UC players. How many times will Miller let Thiam take those silly threes? A waste of possessions.

    Miller has not established roles for this team. Certain players should have certain tasks when they are on the floor. UC players do not have roles, so they do whatever they want to do whenever they want. Look at the results of that approach; a 7-4 record with no wins over Power 4 or Big East schools.

    Sunday's game against Clemson is a very big game for UC. Clemson is a Q1 game, a Power 4 team, and the last major nonconference team before the conference season starts. This game really is a must-win game for UC. Let's see what UC does against Clemson on Sunday. Let's see what happens when UC plays a team that has the personnel to punch back, and punch hard.

    Miller should treat the Clemson game as a one game championship. If UC loses this game, I do not know if UC can win enough games inside the conference, besides from winning it all, to make it to the NCAAs.

    Losses to Louisville, Xavier (beat by 41 last night by Creighton. Worst home loss in Xavier history), Eastern Michigan (at home), and Georgia. Zero nonconference wins against Power teams. UC cannot afford another nonconference loss.
    I made a comment about a Tillery pass last night trying to be positive towards Tillery. Lee I know you had to see a tired Alabama state team that didn't get down the floor, had nobody in the passing lane and nobody near JJ for the shot. The thing I liked was that while a cross court pass might not work against a fresh team, at least Tillery passed to an open teammate for 3 instead of the bunny for two. He is looking at the court which is promising. Like you though, Clemson will pressure the Cats. My hope is for a quality showing. I did like that when the game was out of reach Tillery's development took center stage as he ran the team. CWM said he has to be ready by January. I wonder if that has changed with JJ back.

    Leave a comment:


  • Geaux Juan
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret

    Did I miss it but Nelson was not on the radio. It may have been Logan but I did not hear that.
    Terry Nelson was on espn+, and I heard that comment, too.

    Leave a comment:


  • leeraymond372@gmail.com
    replied
    I was not impressed with this win. An undermanned and undersized team came into UC's gym and pulled down 17 offensive rebounds to UC's 13. Kriisa and Abaev combined went 4-20 and 2-16 from three to shoot 20% and 12.5% (three), respectively. James back in the lineup was good to see. He hit for 16 off of 6-9 shooting. Both Kriisa and Abaev combined to hit for 16.

    I was really bothered by the bad defense all game. Alabama State did not have the shooters to take advantage of the bad defense. ASU actually had more shots at the rim than UC. Miller allows any and everything to occur on the court without accountability. That is why we see any and everything, good and bad, from UC players. How many times will Miller let Thiam take those silly threes? A waste of possessions.

    Miller has not established roles for this team. Certain players should have certain tasks when they are on the floor. UC players do not have roles, so they do whatever they want to do whenever they want. Look at the results of that approach; a 7-4 record with no wins over Power 4 or Big East schools.

    Sunday's game against Clemson is a very big game for UC. Clemson is a Q1 game, a Power 4 team, and the last major nonconference team before the conference season starts. This game really is a must-win game for UC. Let's see what UC does against Clemson on Sunday. Let's see what happens when UC plays a team that has the personnel to punch back, and punch hard.

    Miller should treat the Clemson game as a one game championship. If UC loses this game, I do not know if UC can win enough games inside the conference, besides from winning it all, to make it to the NCAAs.

    Losses to Louisville, Xavier (beat by 41 last night by Creighton. Worst home loss in Xavier history), Eastern Michigan (at home), and Georgia. Zero nonconference wins against Power teams. UC cannot afford another nonconference loss.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatbret
    replied
    From the home boys:
    Baba Miller’s Career-High Night Powers Bearcats Past Alabama State - University of Cincinnati Athletics - Official Athletics Website

    Leave a comment:


  • sedz
    replied
    Originally posted by BearKatz
    One last thought, going forward the starting lineup should be:

    Thomas
    James
    Abaev
    Miller
    Thiam

    The remainder of the season.
    Yes, definitely.

    Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...