X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainProbasco
    replied
    Originally posted by waterhead View Post
    I am trying to figure out the real reason for holding these teams hostage.

Is it for BCS AQ evaluation points?

Is it to keep the league stable until we add the teams we are looking at?

Is it meant as a deterent for other teams to leave?
    This is not without precedent. On Oct 12, 2003, BC accepted an invite to the ACC. But they played the 2004-2005 academic season in the Big East.

On Nov 11, 2003, UC, UL, USF, Marquette, and Depaul accepted invites to the Big East. But they played the 2004-2005 academic year in C-USA.

We want to keep WVU because it will be very difficult to add teams in time for next year, and we probably need at least 8 teams to keep our media contract. At the very least, we have the legal right to keep them, so we should exercise it in order to demand a bigger buyout from them.

Leave a comment:

• Helicopter
    replied
    Originally posted by binturong07 View Post
    There isnt a court in the country that will place an injunction on WVU leaving the BE next year.
    I beg to differ. I found a court that ordered the words "rape" "sexual assault" "battery" "rape kit" not be used in a rape proceeding. I also found one that ordered a man castrated. Some courts are just a little bit wonky...

Leave a comment:

• binturong07
    replied
    Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
    Even if the Big East stands ground, I believe 100% that WVU will play in the Big 12 next year. A court isn't going to order WVU to play against their will. The only thing the courts can do is justify damages WVU has to pay the Big East for breach of contract.

I definitely feel that the Big East and WVU will settle on a number that suits them both. It is a gamble to try and seek damages because lawyer costs can be very high depending on how long the case would drag out, and the amount of damages may be less than what could be settled for out of court.
    You are 100% correct. There isnt a court in the country that will place an injunction on WVU leaving the BE next year. The only thing left to do will be for the court to determine what the potential damages to the Big East are for WVU leaving 27 months early.

Its in everybody's best interest to settle this out of court, and it will be settled, and WVU will be playing in the Big XII next year.

Leave a comment:

• cafemerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat22 View Post
    If WVU gets away with it, what will stop syracuse and pitt from doing the same thing?

This is a good reason why the BEast will/should not cave.
    Get away with what? Leaving? They are going to leave. Period. WVU will not be playing in the Big East next year. The Big East can not force WVU to play in it's conference. The only thing they can do is seek reparations for breach of contract.

Pitt and 'Cuse don't care because the ACC is in no dire need of them next year. However the Big 12 needs atleast 10 teams to keep their tv contract valid... hence the need for WVU next year.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat22
    replied
    If WVU gets away with it, what will stop syracuse and pitt from doing the same thing?

This is a good reason why the BEast will/should not cave.

Leave a comment:

• cmm27
    replied
    AQ points travel with teams, not conferences.

The league is anything but stable with or without those teams because everybody knows they are leaving.

I doubt it, because it isn't stopping the other teams from actively looking.

If I were to hazard a guess, its merely to buy time. A conference needs at least 8 playing members to count as a conference in football. The Big East seems incredibly disorganized and surprised by all of this, and does not seem to have put a decent plan in place to replace the teams at any expedient manner. What this tells me is that the league does not know what to do, and will therefore hold off making any decisions as long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• waterhead
    replied
    Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
    The lawsuit is an attempt to gain negotiating leverage to leave the conference in stime to start Big 12 play next season. It will be interesting to see if the BEast stands ground or caves in exchange for cash.

I am trying to figure out the real reason for holding these teams hostage.

Is it for BCS AQ evaluation points?

Is it to keep the league stable until we add the teams we are looking at?

Is it meant as a deterent for other teams to leave?

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat22
    replied

I think this is a good reason why the BEast will not cave.

Leave a comment:

• cafemerald
    replied
    Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
    The lawsuit is an attempt to gain negotiating leverage to leave the conference in stime to start Big 12 play next season. It will be interesting to see if the BEast stands ground or caves in exchange for cash.
    Even if the Big East stands ground, I believe 100% that WVU will play in the Big 12 next year. A court isn't going to order WVU to play against their will. The only thing the courts can do is justify damages WVU has to pay the Big East for breach of contract.

I definitely feel that the Big East and WVU will settle on a number that suits them both. It is a gamble to try and seek damages because lawyer costs can be very high depending on how long the case would drag out, and the amount of damages may be less than what could be settled for out of court.

While I think WVU's case is mediocre at best, I have to agree (and many of you have been vocal in the past about this) that the Big East, specifically the commisioner, has not been acting in the best interest of the conference as a whole. The Big East has been acting in the best interest of a few while ignoring (at best) or harming the interests of the football schools.

Leave a comment:

• BackInBlack
    replied
    Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0101/310310064

It's going to be a kangroo court. According to this article the lawsuit was filed in Monogalia County Circuit Court and they want jury trial.

Big East should get it moved to New York.
    The Big East will no doubt file a motion to remove this to federal court and then change the venue to a federal district court in New York.

Leave a comment:

• London 'Cat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bearcattitue92
    replied
    "West Virginia places the blame on Big East commissioner John Marinatto for the instability of the conference."

Here in lies the problem, Marinetto needs to go!

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboy
    replied
    With the pace at which the legal system moves, it will take 27 months to resolve this thing.

Leave a comment:

• cpawstoney
    replied
    IMO, WVU will lose this suit. (barring a kangaroo court)
    It's going to be a kangroo court. According to this article the lawsuit was filed in Monogalia County Circuit Court and they want jury trial.

Leave a comment:

• cpawstoney
    replied
    IMO, WVU will lose this suit. (barring a kangaroo court)

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X