Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Finebaum (CF expert) on COVID cancellations!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Finebaum (CF expert) on COVID cancellations!

“I think you’d be pretty naive to think this is all COVID-related,” Finebaum said. Finebaum lamented that bowl games have lost their value to some schools, and it’s different than it was a generation ago.

“When going to a bowl game was considered a reward, now it’s just a pain,” Finebaum said. “It’s something you have to do to get the season finished, and a lot of players and obviously coaches and programs are thinking you know what, the money’s great, but we’ll be OK by not playing.”

Finebaum said even before COVID-19, there were bowl opt outs, but one positive on the horizon is that a potential 12-team Playoff would move more teams to the center stage.

“Right now you have 4 teams playing in big bowl games, and outside of the 2 games Friday, I suppose probably only the Rose Bowl is a game that stands alone that players are saying, you know what, I’m not going to miss it, maybe the Sugar Bowl, to a second degree,” he said.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
    “I think you’d be pretty naive to think this is all COVID-related,” Finebaum said. Finebaum lamented that bowl games have lost their value to some schools, and it’s different than it was a generation ago.

“When going to a bowl game was considered a reward, now it’s just a pain,” Finebaum said. “It’s something you have to do to get the season finished, and a lot of players and obviously coaches and programs are thinking you know what, the money’s great, but we’ll be OK by not playing.”

Finebaum said even before COVID-19, there were bowl opt outs, but one positive on the horizon is that a potential 12-team Playoff would move more teams to the center stage.

“Right now you have 4 teams playing in big bowl games, and outside of the 2 games Friday, I suppose probably only the Rose Bowl is a game that stands alone that players are saying, you know what, I’m not going to miss it, maybe the Sugar Bowl, to a second degree,” he said.

B.C.
    oh st just had their star WR and 3 or 4 other players opt out of the Rose Bowl. Even the "Grandaddy of 'em All" isn't immune to apathy.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

oh st just had their star WR and 3 or 4 other players opt out of the Rose Bowl. Even the "Grandaddy of 'em All" isn't immune to apathy.
      It will be nice to see tosu lose to a second PAC team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

It will be nice to see tosu lose to a second PAC team this year.
        That would be nice, if it happens. These teams seem to be able to reload, even before a bowl game. I'm still rooting for Tavion and the Utes.

Comment

It's not apathy. It's about not wanting to risk losing a lot of money and draft position. In Chris Olave's case, he came back for his senior year when he didn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

It's not apathy. It's about not wanting to risk losing a lot of money and draft position. In Chris Olave's case, he came back for his senior year when he didn't have to.
            If it's not apathy toward the Bowl game, and only risk of injury,then why play regular season games either? I get a sense that players opt out of bowl games because the apathy makes them meaningless and I get not risking injury in a meaningless game. Though for 98% of the teams, the last 3 games were meaningless if CFP are only meaningful bowl games

Comment

If it's not apathy toward the Bowl game, and only risk of injury,then why play regular season games either? I get a sense that players opt out of bowl games because the apathy makes them meaningless and I get not risking injury in a meaningless game. Though for 98% of the teams, the last 3 games were meaningless if CFP are only meaningful bowl games
              They play the season to establish their draft position, which bowl games, for the most part do not for the elite players.

Comment

Still, if these players were playing for a possible National championship, they most likely would not be opting out. So, you can call it apathy or a meaningless bowl game, but the opportunity to play in a Rose Bowl is not enough lure to risk injury.
                ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Bowl games are the ultimate money grab for the schools and conferences. They can be great for fans to take a short vacation if the location is right. They are a nice opportunity for the players who are not going pro to get one more chance to play. They are of no value to the players who aspire to play pro or especially if they already have lofty draft status. There are way too many games which has devalued the priviledge of qualifying. Why risk injury if your season is over and your bowl opponent is 6-6?

Comment

The draft process includes interviewing the players for character. What does it say about character if a player leaves his teammates just before a big game? Never mind, a player opted out of the entire 2020 season and was still one of the top draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                      The draft process includes interviewing the players for character. What does it say about character if a player leaves his teammates just before a big game? Never mind, a player opted out of the entire 2020 season and was still one of the top draft picks.
                      well he is Number 1 in many of Cincinnati Bengals fans.

Comment

I am watching parts of the Gator Bowl. It seems 1/4 full at best. It is a filler game on TV though until the real bowls come on.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X