WBB and VBall in 2017-2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB and VBall in 2017-2018

GoBearcats has announced that Both the women's basketball and volleyball teams will play the 2017-2018 season at St. Ursula Academy while 5/3 in being renovated.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

With all the money Marge Schott left them they should have nice facilities. Maybe it will help recruiting - they generally have an outstanding volleyball team.

Comment

Well, I saw this coming when they announced this arena arrangement and chose not to say anything for fear of someone getting ideas but they got them anyway. This is a Title IX problem.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...sula/98805914/
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

WBB average around 800 per game. 4,000 showed up for the UConn game (who will not play here next year). And they (fans) all, ALL, got in free!

This is an extraordinary situation, for ONE year. It's sad logic goes out the window and we've got to go all-PC.

I wonder what would have happened if they would have gone with one of the original ideas (Whitt Babcock's) which was to rehab the Armory for WBB and VB?

Comment

Let them play on campus in the football bubble.

Comment

I don't really think this is a Title IX situation personally, I just knew someone was going to go in that direction and they did. It's not a permanent arrangement for starters. As someone on Twitter pointed out, UK's Women's team doesn't play in Rupp Arena. This is one of those things where there's plenty of precedent for teams outside the main revenue sports to play in different venues either on or off campus and it'll probably come down to either all universities with teams in separate venues are guilty of a violation or none of them are.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I can see how the women feel that they are being treated unfairly. On the other hand, I can see where AD Bohn doesn't want to pay to rent the 10,000 seat BB&T Center for games that draw 800 people. Fortunately it's only for a year.

Comment

I'm curious if anyone else out there that's on LinkedIn in UC Alumni groups got spammed by a title IX lawyer out of ATL last week? Probably had something to do with this.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Enquirer just posted an opinion article where Oscar has made his feelings known in favor of the women playing before the men's game double header at BB&T. It's a great idea but I'm not sure it actually works because TV sets the game times for the men's team.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...eam/100130866/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yes, a doubleheader, like ML baseball's Day-Night "doubleheaders", which are actually two separate games in one day.

Can you imagine what it would be like if the WBB game went into overtime, and the TV producer steps in and says, "Uh, ladies, you'll have to come back in two hours to finish"? Yikes!

And the opposite wouldn't always work; some WBB games would have to tip off at 11 PM. By the way, have you ever gone to a MBB game that did have the women playing afterwards? The effect of most fans heading for the exits is like a sink that just had its stopper pulled.

Except for peoples "feelings" being hurt, I think it would be energizing for the WBB team to play in the smaller venue (again, for only one year) that was packed with fans. Plus it's not unheard of for some MBB teams to play in home/campus/alumni gyms for some games and in larger city arenas in others.

Comment

Something in that article is that the decision to do it the way it was presented was solely based on tickets sales. The only game where we went well over capacity of St. Ursula was UConn at 4000 and they don't play here next season.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I didn't read the article, but if "ticket sales" was actually used, then the writer was incorrect. In August of 2015 UC initiated "Experience UC", which is "complimentary admission (i.e., free admission) was introduced for all sports except football, baseball, and men's basketball.

4,000 people may have walked into the Shoe on that day, but UC wasn't selling any tickets. I don't want to seem to be harping on this issue, but too often feelings get introduced into discussions and the truth gets disregarded.

Comment

You're right but I think in this case" ticket sales" = tickets distributed
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X