UC - Loyola Championship video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC - Loyola Championship video

If any old timers are interested, the still painful to watch 1963 championship game can be viewed on YouTube.

Here's the link for that. Nice Find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSMQTbXf5o
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Any chance you could get the video for the 61 & 62 championship games?

Comment

I looked for 62 right after I found the above lnk and there's an old black and white news reel highlight of 62 but I didn't see the whole game. I'll look again.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Ok thanks. I would rather watch an old game that they won.

Comment

I've always been curious of why there's no video (that I can find) of UC's 1983 victory over Penn St. in football. I know it was an early season game (Sept. 10), and not as many games were telecast as today, plus if PSU telecast it locally I'm sure they didn't want to post it. But still, no video anywhere? That was a pretty big deal back in the day. One would think UC would have something to post. But do they do that sort of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
              If any old timers are interested, the still painful to watch 1963 championship game can be viewed on YouTube.
              Why on earth would I want to see that again? It was excruciatingly painful the first time, and many believe had we won that game our recruiting would have been absolutely awesome over the next several years, after winning 3 in a row. Perhaps from an impact standpoint the worst loss in UC basketball history!

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                I've always been curious of why there's no video (that I can find) of UC's 1983 victory over Penn St. in football. I know it was an early season game (Sept. 10), and not as many games were telecast as today, plus if PSU telecast it locally I'm sure they didn't want to post it. But still, no video anywhere? That was a pretty big deal back in the day. One would think UC would have something to post. But do they do that sort of thing?
                I don't think that game was televised unless it was local to Happy Valley. I remember listening to it on radio. UC was almost never on TV during the Metro Conference era. If anyone has it is would be PennLive.com . Bits and pieces of the 86, 87 and 91 games were out there.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                  Ok thanks. I would rather watch an old game that they won.
                  The whole 61 or 62 basketball game is not posted on Youtube that I can find. I have no idea who owns the rights to it but guessing ABC or CBS
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

The whole 61 or 62 basketball game is not posted on Youtube that I can find. I have no idea who owns the rights to it but guessing ABC or CBS
                    I doubt that. Those games were not nationally televised, but were carried locally. As I recall the TV game was called locally by the late Ed Kennedy, who also called Reds and Royals games on TV; the Dan Hoard of his time. Of course I might be wrong about that, but I'm sure there was no national TV.

Comment

I inquired about videos of the 61 and 62 UC vs Ohio State championship games back in the 'gooner' days of this forum, and was told that they were not available. My guess is that these games were recorded on motion picture film which would have decayed long ago if not specially preserved. As already noted, I do not think there was national TV coverage. There were only 3 stations (ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates) in Cincy at the time, and these games were on one of these stations . The announcer for the UC - Loyola video being discussed on this forum was an unabashed Loyola fan. It sounds to me like the announcing is geared towards a simultaneous radio broadcast.

Comment

I wonder if the UC Archives team has them? I'll think I'll ask them for kicks
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                          The game wasn't televised was it? I remember listening to it on radio as a kid in my bedroom and occasionally having to run up and down the hall because I was so excited. If it were on TV, I'm sure I would have watched. The 81-0 drubbing 7-8 years later was on tv. That was despicable. They claimed they couldn't help it if their second, third, and fourth stringers were simply better than our first team....what a horrible display of sportsmanship.
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

The game wasn't televised was it? I remember listening to it on radio as a kid in my bedroom and occasionally having to run up and down the hall because I was so excited. If it were on TV, I'm sure I would have watched. The 81-0 drubbing 7-8 years later was on tv. That was despicable. They claimed they couldn't help it if their second, third, and fourth stringers were simply better than our first team....what a horrible display of sportsmanship.
                            No, it wasn't on TV; I, like you, did a lot of pacing in my backyard while the game was on.

I was at the 81-0 game but have a different take on the sportsmanship aspect. PSU was so much better than UC; UC was bad. PSU did go deep into their depth but UC just couldn't do anything to stop them. We had our starters in for the whole game and were exhausted; PSU would break a tackle at the line of scrimmage and then the RB was off to the races. I don't know what else PSU could have done; it would have been a farce for PSU to take a knee for a whole half. It was bad, but it was a bad matchup not poor sportsmanship.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X