No announcement yet.

Simas Lukosius 6'6 Wing (Butler) - Transfer Commit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good footage from 28 point effort versus Villanova in January https://twitter.com/cbb_europe/statu...A2NHZ_hNyS2mFg

Comment

Another offensive player. As I recall from last season, UC's problems did not come from the offensive side of the ball. Their problems came primarily from the defensive side of the ball. None of the portal recruits is a proven defender. Also, out of all the new players that UC brings in this upcoming season, only one is a paint player. I do NOT understand how a coach plans on winning games without an adequate supply of front court players. Somebody help me to understand what is the strategy here. So that means that UC has, for next season, nine guards and only four bigs. I am not sure if that is a winning combination. In today's game, a team needs a stretch 4 or a 3 that can play the 4 in short spans at least. I understand that Miller is trying to replace the 40 points a game from Nolley, DeJulius, and Davenport. However, that was last year. A team has to move on from what it once was to what it wants to be in the future. Also, good coaches try to fix the problems from the previous season. I do not know if Miller attempted to do that. It bothers me that Miller does NOT see the value of having an adequate supply of big men.

One last thing, Lakhin, Reynolds, and Tolentino all have injury histories. That is 3 of the 4 big men. As rugged as the BIG 12 is, why would you go into the conference with only 4 inside players? To make matters more uncertain, Tolentino is an unproven quantity and may not be ready to play. If that is the case, then what? The decision to carry only 4 big men into next season does not make good sense to me. On the other hand, I am NOT getting paid to make basketball decisions. Here is the scary part, Miller is.
      Last edited by leeraymond; 04-29-2023, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I believe that Villanova either won the NCAA or made a deep drive with a four guard starting group. I think that for a team to win, you need a star at the point and you need a star at center. However, I am an old guy and things are changing. I am not sure if a bunch of 1 through 3 stars that can score can't win games.

Comment

I can understand the sentiment when someone posted that this forum is a joke. It seems people have to constantly rag on players, question the coaches decisions and just pile on the negativity. This coach and well compensatedand and experienced staff will do what they feel gives this team the best chance to succeed. We lost some scoring but may have reloaded and improved in that area. Other than DeJulius I dont think we lost much defensively. Nobody knows how this team will fare but I am optimistic and looking forward to our Big 12 debut.

Comment

I’m pumped for the new season, lot of options, and competition for playing time. These guys will have wars in practice, and whoever doesn’t start will provide depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
              I can understand the sentiment when someone posted that this forum is a joke. It seems people have to constantly rag on players, question the coaches decisions and just pile on the negativity. This coach and well compensatedand and experienced staff will do what they feel gives this team the best chance to succeed. We lost some scoring but may have reloaded and improved in that area. Other than DeJulius I dont think we lost much defensively. Nobody knows how this team will fare but I am optimistic and looking forward to our Big 12 debut.
              I wish we were open to free discussion on this board without the negative comments directed towards other posters. A forum is to express views and not be a just a cheer leader regardless of play. I believe that a post I read today was a man's honest thoughts without any animosity towards the Cats. He wrote what he saw and what concerns him. Jeff, you did the same. This is a discussion board. Nobody has to accept all that is said, but for this board to go beyond the petty bickering about other posters, we need to accept what is said. Then, if we disagree, show where we differ and not just speak out against others and cheer lead. It is good to cheer lead, but it is good to show concern. There, in my opinion, not one poster here that isn't an intense fan of the cats. I would hope that fandom goes with the freedom to express our views. We are all adults and should be able to think and speak constructively even if it goes against the rah-rah attitude or cronyism in some.

I will say leeraymond's comments, although not just his, were well thought out and pointed out some real concerns. I am hoping Simas can do some inside work as I saw some on his video and not just shooting. The injuries to the bigs does concern me as the Cats are stepping up to a more physical conference. Much work needs to be done in the monster factory. I don't think WVU will be weak in the paint and Bill Self is pissed from last year. The whole conference wishes to send a "hello" to the new teams.

Regardless, let us spend time talking about the Cats and not each other. That is very critical/negative even if we are doing it for love for the Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                I’m pumped for the new season, lot of options, and competition for playing time. These guys will have wars in practice, and whoever doesn’t start will provide depth.
                Same, I feel like for the first time in a long time we have a full compliment of depth to withstand a seasons injuries and ups and downs. I really hope Fredrick is healthy as he can be a really special offensive player if he can get back to his old form. We've not had a shooter quite like him in a while. He's got some serious range.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Same, I feel like for the first time in a long time we have a full compliment of depth to withstand a seasons injuries and ups and downs. I really hope Fredrick is healthy as he can be a really special offensive player if he can get back to his old form. We've not had a shooter quite like him in a while. He's got some serious range.
                  I am too - any thoughts on a 9 or 10 man rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                    I believe that Villanova either won the NCAA or made a deep drive with a four guard starting group. I think that for a team to win, you need a star at the point and you need a star at center. However, I am an old guy and things are changing. I am not sure if a bunch of 1 through 3 stars that can score can't win games.
                    I agree. A team can win with one big and four guards. Villanova had a number of teams that played that way. Villanova went on to win the NCAA championship in 2016 playing that kind of line-up. Cincinnati's last Sweet-16 team played with 4 guards. In fact, that Sweet-16 is my favorite UC team all time (yes, I liked that team more that the last Final Four team). Here is the big difference. The 2016 Villanova team had three pros on that team (Brunson, Arcidiacono, and Hart). Brunson and Hart are currently playing for the NY Knicks. Also, Jay Wright was a pretty good defensive coach. In 2016 Villanova held teams to about 63 points a game. In their win over Oklahoma in the Final Four, Villanova held Oklahoma to just 51 points. The last UC Sweet-16 team held teams to 62 points a game (keep in mind that UC only scored about 68 points a game that year). UC can play with four guards and one big. I just do NOT see how they can win giving up 70 points a game (Miller's average while at UC).
                    Last edited by leeraymond; 04-30-2023, 06:05 PM.

Comment

No need to get sensitive. We are all Cincinnati fans just having fun blogging about college basketball. To be honest with you, I have no clue how UC is going to do next season. I hope that they can win the NCAA Championship. Is that realistic with this program right now? Probably not. However, based on the sample size of 69 games that I have seen on Miller at this point, I have some concerns about Miller and his ability to win games against top level competition. My concern is on the defensive side of the floor. Will they be able to play enough defense to win in the BIG 12, especially if they are having a hard time scoring? That concern extends to the recruiting as well. Millers seems to be recruiting the same type of player over and over again (6'1' to 6'7" guard/wing and has a scoring history). Keep in mind that I have SEEN every UC game that Miller has coached for UC. Miller is going into his 3rd year with a number of different guys that have a history of being able to score. Can they stop anybody? Can they rebound? Can they make winning plays when the game is on the line? Winning basketball games takes much more that just scoring.
                      Last edited by leeraymond; 04-30-2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

I wish we were open to free discussion on this board without the negative comments directed towards other posters. A forum is to express views and not be a just a cheer leader regardless of play. I believe that a post I read today was a man's honest thoughts without any animosity towards the Cats. He wrote what he saw and what concerns him. Jeff, you did the same. This is a discussion board. Nobody has to accept all that is said, but for this board to go beyond the petty bickering about other posters, we need to accept what is said. Then, if we disagree, show where we differ and not just speak out against others and cheer lead. It is good to cheer lead, but it is good to show concern. There, in my opinion, not one poster here that isn't an intense fan of the cats. I would hope that fandom goes with the freedom to express our views. We are all adults and should be able to think and speak constructively even if it goes against the rah-rah attitude or cronyism in some.

I will say leeraymond's comments, although not just his, were well thought out and pointed out some real concerns. I am hoping Simas can do some inside work as I saw some on his video and not just shooting. The injuries to the bigs does concern me as the Cats are stepping up to a more physical conference. Much work needs to be done in the monster factory. I don't think WVU will be weak in the paint and Bill Self is pissed from last year. The whole conference wishes to send a "hello" to the new teams.

Regardless, let us spend time talking about the Cats and not each other. That is very critical/negative even if we are doing it for love for the Cats.
                        Well said.

Comment

Getting back on the topic. Is it just me or is anyone else getting enormous pleasure in that we yanked Simas out of the grasp of Thad Matta! I'm not pleased with myself for feeling this way but I am pleased that Simas will be a
                          bearcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                            Getting back on the topic. Is it just me or is anyone else getting enormous pleasure in that we yanked Simas out of the grasp of Thad Matta! I'm not pleased with myself for feeling this way but I am pleased that Simas will be a
                            bearcat.
                            I don't care who we get or from where as long as the Cats get more wins. I do believe we have a better team (on paper) than we had this time last year. I also hope that these new guys listen to the coaches and play under structure. The transfers seem to have shown that at their previous schools. I hope the three new to D1 players learn from a different style of leadership than the last few years teams had. A leader needs to step up.

Comment

I agree with you. Voicing a concern about whether we have adequate bigs is valid IMO. Making an ascertain on what it takes to win in division 1 college basketball is prolly best left to coach Miller.

My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

The thing that sticks out to me, and I'm not pointing any one poster out here, is that we've hung our hat on defense for the better part of most of our lifetime as fans. You obviously still need defense but this staff and even the previous staff have focused primarily on offense. I think a lot of fans are still having a hard time adjusting to the change in philosophy.

It remains to be seen if this will play out in a good way or a bad way but I think being critical of the staff is somewhat questionable at this point if you're of the mindset of "we should always be a defensive team first". You are probably setting yourself up for disappointment there.

There's no denying that Cronin and Huggins were very successful here with that defensive mantra. Deflections and similar stats are useful in tracking defense but you don't win games if you can't score on the other end. To me, that was one of the main differences between UC under Cronin and Louisville under Pitino. SImilar schools with almost identical defensive systems but Pitino had disruptive defense that could score in transition and a better offensive scheme with players who could run it effectively.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X