2024 Class update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Class update

With the Travis Perry to UK commitment, there's really no one in the HS ranks left on the board that we were pursuing to my knowledge. If the staff wanted a guard in the class they're going to have to look at the transfer portal at this point or JuCo ranks. The portal for basketball opens after Selection Sunday for 45 days.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

There may be a transfer portal, but I'm sure there is rampant abuse of the system, with surreptitious contact between school representatives and players throughout the year. Far too many commitments come immediately after the players' portal announcements.

Comment

I could be misremembering, but felt like under Mick Cronin that UC would often have no one signed in the fall (or maybe one guy) and then they'd add a few pieces late including some complete under-the-radar prospects.

Having two consensus 4-star recruits plus the portal to work with (all while not projected to have as many open spots available next spring compared to recent years), seems pretty dang solid to me.

Comment

Not sure how many spots we have open. Assuming Bandoago and Reynolds stay, I believe we have 3 openings. Frederick, Oguama, and Newman are definitely in their last year. So it seems we have one spot left to offer, unless I'm wrong about the eligibility of anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
          Not sure how many spots we have open. Assuming Bandoago and Reynolds stay, I believe we have 3 openings. Frederick, Oguama, and Newman are definitely in their last year. So it seems we have one spot left to offer, unless I'm wrong about the eligibility of anybody else.
          Oguama and Newman are the only guys with no eligibility left

Fredrick came to UC with the possibility of two years (2021-2022 redshirted due to injury + picked up the bonus COVID year)

Comment

Based on that we would have had to punt someone or CJ if Perry had committed?
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Based on that we would have had to punt someone or CJ if Perry had committed?
              I'd say it is a safe bet that 1-2 players (at minimum) will transfer each year... and sometimes there are surprises, like Mika Adams-Woods, so doesn't feel like you worry too much about spots open in November

Comment

2024/2025 Roster

10-13-2023, 11:04 AM
                As we look at recruits, two verbal commits so far, I was curious how many spots we would have so copied this from around page 4 or 5 of the 23/24 roster discussion.The years left indicate how many years after 23/24. We have two definite open recruit slots for 24/25 (Ody, and John Newmann III), with two others possible if we get waivers or the player goes pro if waiver falls thru (Jamille and Aziz). Of course things could change during the season, players transfer, or hopefully someone like Vik or Skillings is so impressive they enter the draft. Either way, minimum 3 slots open.

1. Rayvon Griffith (FR, 3 years left no COVID waiver)
                2. Jizzle James (FR, 3 years left no COVID waiver)
                3. Sage Tolentino (RS FR, 3 years left)
                4. Dan Skillings (SO, 2 years left no COVID waiver)
                5. Josh Reed (SO, 2 years left no COVID waiver
                6. Viktor Lakhin (RS JR 1 year left, maybe 2 years, assuming he can get a COVID year for the season he was hurt or Medical Redshirt)
                7. DaVeon Thomas (JR 1 year left)
                8. Jamille Reynolds (SR one year left, could be 23/24 if he gets waiver - maybe open for recruit) Still awaiting waiver appeal
                9. CJ Fredrick (Graduate transfer - 2 years)
                10. Simas Lucosius (JR 1 year left)
                11. Ody Oguama (Graduate - last year/open for recruit)
                12. John Newman (Graduate - last year/open for recruit)
                13.Aziz Abandaogo (SR one year left, would be 24/25 if he sticks around - maybe open for recruit) updated. Waiver appeal denied
                Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 11-17-2023, 01:30 PM.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/4/2...-fredrick.aspx

"Fredrick ... will have up to two years of eligibility in Clifton."

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/4/2...-fredrick.aspx

"Fredrick ... will have up to two years of eligibility in Clifton."
                    And yet Wes is recruiting for more than two slots, which is good. AS much as I wanted Nolley back for UC this year, he is better off trying the pros. That may be true for at least Vik, plus 1-2 others.

Comment

Sage is listed as a freshman on the roster. Did he get medical redshirt last year and still has 4 years to play after rrdshirting this year?

Comment

My thinking is... both Sage and CJ are in the category of... if you have a portal person interested that is better than them... both are encouraged to move on... scholarship positions are too valued to be getting no production from them.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                          My thinking is... both Sage and CJ are in the category of... if you have a portal person interested that is better than them... both are encouraged to move on... scholarship positions are too valued to be getting no production from them.
                          I don’t know his thinking, but if I’m Sage I’d rather go someplace where I can play basketball. He’ll never get better with zero minutes. Perhaps CWM sees something and has a future plan for him, but as I said, I’d rather play.

Comment

I don’t know his thinking, but if I’m Sage I’d rather go someplace where I can play basketball. He’ll never get better with zero minutes. Perhaps CWM sees something and has a future plan for him, but as I said, I’d rather play.
                            You have to wonder if Sage would be out there in reserve minutes if Aziz and Jamille weren't eligible.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X