Game 16: SMU 1/6 9:30 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    Right? I'm seeing energy I'm seeing legitimate attempts at defense, Im seeing rebounding, and I' m seeing just a tinge of some toughness. All these things can be built upon. But I'm still seeing some selfishness. Somebody needs to help DDJ understand that their is four other players on his team. Once he gets the ball it ain't getting passed. He' s going to shoot it.
    Saunders still has the shoot first and every time mentality. MM played some - I understand bad hip, butttttttttt. I liked the energy an attempt at a team game. What I didn't like was with 10 plus in the first half, CWM yanked 4 players out who were smoking and for the next 5 minutes 1 for 11. Over all, a much better effort and a win is great. The Cats were better on rebounding and sometimes fought each other for the ball.

Comment

They need to work with Lakhin on his moves in the post. He's got great touch but he gets tied up or turns it over at an alarming clip. As soon as they throw it in to him the defense collapases and ties him up. So frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
        What I didn't like was with 10 plus in the first half, CWM yanked 4 players out who were smoking and for the next 5 minutes 1 for 11.
        Exactly! We noticed this as well! Puzzling substitution patterns, but whatever.

Mika was 5-8 from 3, and Newman 2-5 from 3 (his career average is 29%). The difference in this game is our 3s were falling. Still didn’t see much cutting to the basket, post presence, etc.

Hopefully the hot shooting continues

Comment

Much better effort, rebounding & shooting. However, the 3 point shooting is still not where it needs to be & need more shots taken from 15 ft & in.
          Bring on Memphis!

Comment

#58 in the NET (up from 75)
            #78 on KenPom

Up next: Memphis who is 51 in NET, 34 in KenPom

Comment

I really like Madsen when hes not pouting and dragging his butt. It was good to see him contribute. The thing that sticks out to me is that if UC's shots aren't connecting early then it becomes apparent that DDJ and JD take it upon themselves to score points resulting in forcing things and Newman going invisible. But when they allow the flow of the game to dictate who takes the shot its seems it goes a lot better. 39% 3 pt shooting last night compared to 20% against Tulane. Im convinced that JD would be better suited coming off the bench as an igniter. Hes much better when he isn't pressed to score. I would seriously start McGinnis rather than JD to give us 4 potential 3 pt scoring threats to get things heated up at the start, bring Saunders in like normal to speed up the tempo/ spell DDJ/ MAW, and then use JD & MM to rest Newman / McGinnis. Continue to use all the bigs exactly as you have with the exception of attempting to develope both Hensley and Lahkin. This is what I would do but Im no coach. If the run and gun offense as what were going with then why not put as many of your 3 points scorers in as possible to start games to get things rolling. If SMU would have started this game in a zone defense and DDJ's or MAW's shots would not have connected early on, it would have been a carbon copy of Tulane.

Comment

Team effort ($)

https://theathletic.com/3056251/2022...he-difference/
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Saunders still has the shoot first and every time mentality. MM played some - I understand bad hip, butttttttttt. I liked the energy an attempt at a team game. What I didn't like was with 10 plus in the first half, CWM yanked 4 players out who were smoking and for the next 5 minutes 1 for 11. Over all, a much better effort and a win is great. The Cats were better on rebounding and sometimes fought each other for the ball.
                  I agree Leo. Best effort, rebounding and attacking the ball since Illinois. I will never endorse small, shoot first guards over assists but when ours 3's go in, we win. For 10 games they didn't fall and we either won ugly or lost. Drive draw and dish is a much better team concept and recipe for success. Its not that our guys are terrible shooters, its that they take terrible contested shots. If you get the 3 out of the offense and are open, I don't care how many we take.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X