Rule Changes for '22-23

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Changes for '22-23

Caught this this morning. Flopping is now a Class B technical foul. No more warnings. Class B is one foul shot and the ball. We can thank Bob Huggins for this. He's the head of the rules committee. ($?)

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-elimin...b-bob-huggins/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I like this actually. I used to get tired of people flopping when the Bearcats were the biggest and strongest plyers on the floor. Huggins happened to be UC's coach then, so it seems this has been with him for many many years.

Comment

I oppose this rule and here is why. How hard an offensive or defensive player falls or flops must not be an influence on the referee. The question is was there contact that affected the play. If the ref sees an illegal contact call the foul whether the offender falls or not. If the offender falls or flops where there was no contact and the ref's judgment is no contact then the player that fell by losing his balance or flopping is at a disadvantage being on the floor while the play continues. Simply, the refs should be making the call based on seeing an illegal contact or not; not on how a player falls. The game played in high school, college, or professional does not need the constant adding of rules that just complicates the game. The three second rule in the key and the ten second rule to get over the half court line are not always judged fairly.

Comment

Originally posted by SawyerHall68 View Post
        I oppose this rule and here is why. How hard an offensive or defensive player falls or flops must not be an influence on the referee. The question is was there contact that affected the play. If the ref sees an illegal contact call the foul whether the offender falls or not. If the offender falls or flops where there was no contact and the ref's judgment is no contact then the player that fell by losing his balance or flopping is at a disadvantage being on the floor while the play continues. Simply, the refs should be making the call based on seeing an illegal contact or not; not on how a player falls. The game played in high school, college, or professional does not need the constant adding of rules that just complicates the game. The three second rule in the key and the ten second rule to get over the half court line are not always judged fairly.
        I think you make a valid point that the flopper's team is at disadvantage. However, the playacting usually leads to play stoppage, referree huddles, coaches yelling, and players overreacting on both sides. If offender makes illegal contact call it makes sense, but also consider a few positive things that should come out of this:

1. Defenders hold their ground. Eliminate the flops and the offense should get fewer freebies.
        2. I truly believe or want to believe, the trade-off will be the refs paying more attention to offensive fouls by ball handler.
        3. Faster ace to game, less stops, and less real clock time.
        4. with less emphasis on practicing their flop, maybe some of these guys will practice free throw shooting, or one of several other skills required to play the game.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X