Early season observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early season observation

I know we are only (4) Games into the season, but after last nights embarrassing lost I wanted to give my observation on this years Team. So I'll address our current roster first, finishing up with the coaching.

MAW & Davenport: I figured I'd address both at the same time, two of (3) holdovers from the Brannen regime. Neither player has progressed since their freshman year. I would say both have regressed from the limited minutes we saw them as freshmen. Physically, they both look to have lost muscle mass. Both looked physically more defined as freshman, even if they've gained a few pounds over the years.. MAW plain and simple, is a poor decision maker, and it showed all last night. He's slow on the fastbreak, and our fastbreak is laughable. MAW drove several times in the paint last night, only to be surrounded by 3/4 players and nowhere to shoot or pass the ball. All led to turnovers or poor shot selections. He's a conference USA type player with his skills. Davenport: Besides becoming a 3pt shooter, how has he progressed since his freshman year? Better rebounder? No! Better shooter in the Paint? No! The majority of his shots are 3pt attempts... and if he's not hitting the 3, what's his value?

Phinisee: 5th Year transfer from Indiana.. Average bench player in the Big 10! Career 6.3pts per game, 2.8ast which screams average... Do you see any difference between Phinisee & MAW when the take the ball up the court. Both are slow and methodical, and neither are good scorers.

Ezikpe: Former Conference USA Player for Old Dominion... Average 7.6pts and 5.2 rbs per game over 4yrs... For a Conference USA Player, that's average stats!

So my point with these two players is? If we're trying to IMPROVE the team, why do we pluck two average players from the portal who can not help this team get better? Really doesn't make any sense? If they're the best we can do, we're in serios trouble.

Lakhin: The last holdover from the Brannen regime. He's slow, he's not a banger which is sorely needed, and not a very good scorer or rebounder for the league we're in. Out muscled and out hustled against NKU last night.. Unfortunately, we can't play EKU or Chaminade every week.. and the schedule will only get tougher.. He's a foul prone player and will see more of this as the year goes on...He's your typical East Euro BIG Man who wants to play a finesse game.

Oguama: Gives us decent minutes off the bench. Would be a bench player if Mick or Huggs were coaching. Not a scoring threat on the inside.

DeJulius: At times he lives up to his High School billing. Can dominate against weaker schools, and we've seen this over the last (3)yrs. When we play Athletic Teams, he tends to disappear.. Like last night! His career did not workout at Michigan, and you can see why.

Nolley: The Teams biggest transfer in the offseason... Has had big games for VT & Memphis in the past.. We expected a lot out of him this season, and over the last two games he's disappeared. I have not seen enough of him in a Bearcats uniform to call him a bust... Bottomline, he needs to show up every night! We do not have enough talented players to compensate when he takes a few games off.

Hensley: Former 4 star recruit for Wes. I believe he was Wes's highest recruit at UNCG. Hensley has shown progression from last year, still has a way to go, but in the right direction. Shows more athleticism in the paint rebounding or scoring than any other 6.6" player and above on the team..

Skillings & Reed: Both were coveted recruits, and both have shown flashes in limited playing time.

Tolentino: This is the one that bothers me the most! Will definitely be redshirted this year. Was labeled a PROJECT! So, if SAGE is a project, why did we recruit him???? He's not as good as Lakhin, who is average at best.. What's the point of a recruit of this caliber ? Somehow he's gonna be a factor in the Big 12? Seriously? He will not, I would lay $$$ on it! Again, if Tolentino is the best this team can recruit going into the Big 12, we're in trouble.

Wes Miller: Played 3yrs for Roy Williams at North Carolina. Had a few nice games over a 3yr period. Played 1yr in the UK before deciding he wanted to coach.. Wes inherited a bad team from Brannen, I believe we would all agree on that... If we were moving in another direction, only to improve... Should Wes have honored those scholarships?

Since Mick left, this team appears to take a backwards step every year. I haven't seen any improvement since Wes has taken over. Part of it, is the players inherited from Brannen. If Wes is a good judge of talent? Then why do we continue to start MAW & Davenport, knowing neither is good enough to compete in this league? When Mick started from ground zero, he took less talented players at the beginning.. after a few years, some of them transferred and it was mutual for the betterment of the team...So how long do we continue to put this product on the floor? Shouldn't we take our lumps now, and get Skillings, Reed, & Hensley the playing time needed so they are prepared for the Big 12?

Going back, Brannen's first year was a mirage... When you inherit Cumberland, Williams, & Tre Scott your going to win games. And we did, and we won the league, and would have played in the NCAA Tourney...

Potential Recruits... If you watched last nights game, would you want to play for this team?

Since then, this team has been a total disappointment! Last night was an all time low! 11pts in the 2nd Half, and we were beat by NKU!

I never thought I'd see the day when NKU would beat us! Right now, we will not win a game put those starting 5 on the floor in Maui.. We will not finish 3rd in the AAC this year!

I don't know if Wes can coach in this league, and I have doubts about the Big 12... I guess he deserves one m ore year.. I go back, when does the rebuilding start?

Can CJ Anthony be any worse than MAW & Phinisee? Seriously, in a real game situation you won't know until you throw CJ out there... We know what MAW & Phinisee can do!

If Wes does not workout, we have to have a High Profile Coach... We can not settle for a quick fix "Brannen", or a disciple from Chapel Hill that you hope can coach! This team entering the Big 12 needs an established coach if Wes is not the answer!

At this point, would you not take a coach with a little baggage? Kelvin Sampson, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl? I would even consider Chris Mack as bad as that sounds... All of the coaches mentions have proven to putting winning teams on the floor, and recruited talented players who knew how to compete/win.. All I know is we can not keep plucking coaches from the Horizon & Southern Leagues, and expect to win!

I've witnessed 3yrs and it has not worked out! I know I'm ranting and raving a little! Maybe I made a few good points, maybe not... Just my opinion! I know one thing, I can not stand watching what we put on the floor last night!
    Last edited by BearKatz; 11-17-2022, 02:44 PM.

For the most point I agree with your summation. I was willing to give a pass on last year's crash and burn down the stretch but last night's game was eerily similar to some of the mess last year. It appears that CWM can recruit some but I agree whole heartedly that players do not improve their game in his program so far. The only exception appears to be Hensley because he seems to have the inner drive. I'm glad that they are getting thrown in the deep end with the Mauii tournament. They need a severe wake-up call or another beat down is in the cards from X.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
      I know we are only (4) Games into the season, but after last nights embarrassing lost I wanted to give my observation on this years Team. So I'll address our current roster first, finishing up with the coaching.

1. Lakhin: The last holdover from the Brannen regime. He's slow, he's not a banger which is sorely needed, and not a very good scorer or rebounder for the league we're in. Out muscled and out hustled against NKU last night.. Unfortunately, we can't play EKU or Chaminade every week.. and the schedule will only get tougher.. He's a foul prone player and will see more of this as the year goes on...He's your typical East Euro BIG Man who wants to play a finesse game.

2. Oguama: Gives us decent minutes off the bench. Would be a bench player if Mick or Huggs were coaching. Not a scoring threat on the inside.

3. DeJulius: At times he lives up to his High School billing. Can dominate against weaker schools, and we've seen this over the last (3)yrs. When we play Athletic Teams, he tends to disappear.. Like last night! His career did not workout at Michigan, and you can see why.

4. Nolley: The Teams biggest transfer in the offseason... Has had big games for VT & Memphis in the past.. We expected a lot out of him this season, and over the last two games he's disappeared. I have not seen enough of him in a Bearcats uniform to call him a bust... Bottomline, he needs to show up every night! We do not have enough talented players to compensate when he takes a few games off.

5. Hensley: Former 4 star recruit for Wes. I believe he was Wes's highest recruit at UNCG. Hensley has shown progression from last year, still has a way to go, but in the right direction. Shows more athleticism in the paint rebounding or scoring than any other 6.6" player and above on the team..

6 a and b. Skillings & Reed: Both were coveted recruits, and both have shown flashes in limited playing time.

7. Tolentino: This is the one that bothers me the most! Will definitely be redshirted this year. Was labeled a PROJECT! So, if SAGE is a project, why did we recruit him???? He's not as good as Lakhin, who is average at best.. What's the point of a recruit of this caliber ? Somehow he's gonna be a factor in the Big 12? Seriously? He will not, I would lay $$$ on it! Again, if Tolentino is the best this team can recruit going into the Big 12, we're in trouble.

8. Potential Recruits... If you watched last nights game, would you want to play for this team?

9. If Wes does not workout, we have to have a High Profile Coach... We can not settle for a quick fix "Brannen", or a disciple from Chapel Hill that you hope can coach! This team entering the Big 12 needs an established coach if Wes is not the answer!

10. At this point, would you not take a coach with a little baggage? Kelvin Sampson, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl? I would even consider Chris Mack as bad as that sounds... All of the coaches mentions have proven to putting winning teams on the floor, and recruited talented players who knew how to compete/win.. All I know is we can not keep plucking coaches from the Horizon & Southern Leagues, and expect to win!

I've witnessed 3yrs and it has not worked out! I know I'm ranting and raving a little! Maybe I made a few good points, maybe not... Just my opinion! I know one thing, I can not stand watching what we put on the floor last night!
      Wow that was thorough and insightful assessment. A lot to unpack and I'll skip the Brannen holdovers, plus Phinnisee.

1. Viktor is in his second playing year and has some skill for a big/tall guy. Needs to get stronger without fouling, and shouldn't be in position to travel. Feed him the ball for quick shot or dunk.
      2. Oguama - you cannot compare players easily across that much time to Huggs teams. Huggs was able to find many great NBA type talents.
      3. DDJ - this team would be lost withut him
      4. Nolley - needs to be more consistent and I believe he will become a consistent leader and scorer.
      5. Hensley - I am impressed. He has a lot of skill and strength. His playing time will pay dividends next year.
      6. The recruits are adjusting to college. They'll be the leaders next year.
      7. Tolentino - you cannot teach size, but you can add weight/strength and teach footwork. 7 foot tallplayers are a worthy project.
      8. Potential recruits have to look at this team and see instant playing time. Plus Wes is putting together one heck of a staff.
      9. We won't be able to start pondering the question until yar 3 and his leash will go into year 4 given move to Big 12 and the mess he inherited. He may get year 5 with Big 12 move, if he shows to be competitive in losses.
      10. High profile coach, yes, even if ghave to pay a little extra. Baggage, I really hope not, though some were in the hire Pitino camp after Brannen, so who knows.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Take away Pitino's personal life and mistakes, all of his basketball cheating seems to be legal now. No, I would not want him.

Comment

I don't want Pirino either... I just want a capable coach who can bring this program back to prominence....

Appreciate the feedback...

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
            I don't want Pirino either... I just want a capable coach who can bring this program back to prominence....

Appreciate the feedback...
            open up the wallets of the deep pockets

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

open up the wallets of the deep pockets

I totally agree...

Comment

Wes definitely needs and deserves 4 years to get his philosophy embedded into the program, but I am curious about his early style. Last night seemed like a great moment to pull the starters in favor of Hensley, Reed & Skillings (maybe he was injured, so let’s say McG). It just looked out of control from a coaching perspective to me. Not trying to be too harsh but MAW & Davenport need to see maybe 10-15 minutes a game. Continuing to start them is just odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                  Wes definitely needs and deserves 4 years to get his philosophy embedded into the program, but I am curious about his early style. Last night seemed like a great moment to pull the starters in favor of Hensley, Reed & Skillings (maybe he was injured, so let’s say McG). It just looked out of control from a coaching perspective to me. Not trying to be too harsh but MAW & Davenport need to see maybe 10-15 minutes a game. Continuing to start them is just odd.
                  Based on two years' of embarrassment, can anyone figure out exactly what his coaching philosophy is? For the second year in a row, his teams are very, very hard to watch. I was very hopeful last year and after flirting with success at the beginning of the year, we devolved into a dumpster fire. The dumpster fire is starting earlier this year. I'd like to be more optimistic but don't see a lot to be optimistic about.

Comment

It's solely my opinion that Miller's rotation of players is strictly to keep everyone happy and getting minutes. But you have to get all fifteen players minutes to buy into that. I firmly believe that players cant' get into any kind offlow or rhythm when coming in @ 6 minute segments. You know it's almost harder to miss that many chances to the basket than it is to score just eleven pts. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. You almost have to intentionally miss shots to only shoot 13% in a half. I'm not dissing the coach but it's time to put the best five to start the game and if it means benching some favorites so be it. With all the hype and hoopla and praise given to this year's recruits especially during sumI will say I was ( and still am ) stunned at who has started these first four games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      It's solely my opinion that Miller's rotation of players is strictly to keep everyone happy and getting minutes. But you have to get all fifteen players minutes to buy into that. I firmly believe that players cant' get into any kind offlow or rhythm when coming in @ 6 minute segments. You know it's almost harder to miss that many chances to the basket than it is to score just eleven pts. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. You almost have to intentionally miss shots to only shoot 13% in a half. I'm not dissing the coach but it's time to put the best five to start the game and if it means benching some favorites so be it. With all the hype and hoopla and praise given to this year's recruits especially during sumI will say I was ( and still am ) stunned at who has started these first four games.
                      The main word being "favorites" and one just might be a favorite to others besides CWM.

Comment

Some of the original post I'll agree with.

JD is JD and MAW is MAW and what you see is what you get for better or worse. JD's an offensive threat when he's on but I'd like to see stats on how many points he gives up on D and whether he's a net negative in +/-. MAW is fine if he doesn't drive the ball and hits his outside shots. Once he drives, he never kicks, forces it and gets blocked at the rim almost every time.

I think Lakhin will be ok. He's really not a true post player and as a result, he's out of position at the 5.

In general, we're trying trying to find player combo and rotations that will work. You've got 6 new guys on the team between recruits and portal players. I actually think the portal is making things more challenging for coaches because you've got guys coming in that are used to a different system and there's an adjustment period where they have to unlearn stuff from previous coaching staffs. Blaming Wes for the teams struggles so far is valid becuase he's the coach but there's a learning curve for coaches and players with that many new guys coming into the system every year. It's kinda like the Old Huggins JuCo guys. It generally took them a year to figure it out.

I think things will improve over time this season. Hopefully we'll have the opposite issue of last year where we get better down the stretch instead of collapsing. I would expect the rotation to shorten up in conference play.

Nolley needs to figure out what he wants to be in this system. He can be the best player on the floor or he can disppear against the zone like he did at NKU. His scoring is trending south as the opponents get better. He's needs to score to take the pressure off DDJ.

I'm not sure why you would bring up changing coaches at this point. Wes is not going to pull a Yates and go 3-25 this season or probably any other season. I'm pretty confident that things will work them themselves out via HS recruiting.

Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

[QUOTE=Bearcat93;n395742] Continuing to start them is just odd.

Totally agree! If we're trying to compete and win! Why not make a statement now, and start players you recruited! Hensley, Skillings, &Reed can help from the bench.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rufus;n395755]It's solely my opinion that Miller's rotation of players is strictly to keep everyone happy and getting minutes.

That's one of the real questions... Correct if I'm wrong, but when Brannen was fired we had several players going to the AD and complaining about his coaching style etc...

I don't believe that was ever a problem in the past, or we just never heard about it! I've wondered since Wes took over if any of those players who complained about Brannen are still on the team?

I also wonder if that's the case, is it in the back of Wes's mind? Wes had a chance when he took over the team to clean house, it happens all the time.. I wonder if he's regretting now?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              Some of the original post I'll agree with.

JD is JD and MAW is MAW and what you see is what you get for better or worse. JD's an offensive threat when he's on but I'd like to see stats on how many points he gives up on D and whether he's a net negative in +/-. MAW is fine if he doesn't drive the ball and hits his outside shots. Once he drives, he never kicks, forces it and gets blocked at the rim almost every time.

I think Lakhin will be ok. He's really not a true post player and as a result, he's out of position at the 5.

In general, we're trying trying to find player combo and rotations that will work. You've got 6 new guys on the team between recruits and portal players. I actually think the portal is making things more challenging for coaches because you've got guys coming in that are used to a different system and there's an adjustment period where they have to unlearn stuff from previous coaching staffs. Blaming Wes for the teams struggles so far is valid becuase he's the coach but there's a learning curve for coaches and players with that many new guys coming into the system every year. It's kinda like the Old Huggins JuCo guys. It generally took them a year to figure it out.

I think things will improve over time this season. Hopefully we'll have the opposite issue of last year where we get better down the stretch instead of collapsing. I would expect the rotation to shorten up in conference play.

Nolley needs to figure out what he wants to be in this system. He can be the best player on the floor or he can disppear against the zone like he did at NKU. His scoring is trending south as the opponents get better. He's needs to score to take the pressure off DDJ.

I'm not sure why you would bring up changing coaches at this point. Wes is not going to pull a Yates and go 3-25 this season or probably any other season. I'm pretty confident that things will work them themselves out via HS recruiting.

Lobot, I'm not suggesting Wes should be fired this season... But if this trend continues, and we're not seeing improvement, how long before AD has seen enough?

Wes deserves one more year, and I'll guess will see what this team looks like after MAW & Davenport are gone. I know someone in another post suggested that MAW & Davenport could come back next year? Not sure if they are eligible or not, but I would be livid if this staff let them come back.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X