Hometown Guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hometown Guys

I was thinking about the Temple game yesterday and by extension Jeremiah Davenport. I think the fan base in general and on here are both very frustrated with JD. People are questioning why he's still on the floor when he throws up wild threes, etc. The answer to lot of the questions is, he's a hometown guy. That brings a lot of pressure and it also possibly means more leeway.

We've seen this before with the hometown guy because it happened with Yancy Gates. The fans were very rough on Yancy when he was at UC because he didn't fit the prototypical big body PF that he appeared to be. He could bang down low but in reality he was a mid range shooter playing out of position on the block. I don't think the local fans ever recognized that with Gates and lots of insults and frustrations resulted. I could go through the archives on here and find entire threads on him, I'm sure.

So back to JD, In my opinion he's pressing when he's on the court and he's trying to be the hometown hero guy we all want him to be. He's trying to live up to the hype. Maybe he just isn't that guy but as fans we're trying to put him in that box anyway. In the end, the best thing we can do for JD and for our own sanity is just lay off him and accept him as he is. He's flawed and I'm sure he's trying to improve. Pushing him to be perfect is a losing proposition for all of us. Not to mention this kid lost his father recently and that could in itself could be the reason for all the hero ball.

So what do you do if you're Wes Miller? You're stuck because JD's a hometown kid and benching him would look bad to recruits in the region who we're currently after. A lot of those recruits are better and different types of players than JD but benching the hometown kid who was the team's star in his first two years is a bad look. As a result JD's probably on the floor more than he should be but we as a fan base are probably making the situation worse for both JD and Wes by hammering both of them when things go wrong on the basketball court in game.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

All fair points, Lobot. But, the counterpoint is why isn't Wes and the coaching staff speaking to him about taking bad shots, shooting early in the shot clock, his lack of rebounding, or any other shortcomings. If you are going to give latitude to a player, then you must also coach him more closely than the staff appears to be at this point. JD is what he is in terms of his ability, it's his lack of effort and basketball IQ that has forum members puzzled.

As to other issues with this team, what is really lacking is any leadership from the players. Lahkin has great potential but has no upperclassmen to learn from. The same can be said about every position with the exception of PG, where MAW is showing how to play like a Bearcat. We have been hard on him over the years, but this year he has shown real improvement and is a steady and effective PG. The problem is that next year, when he graduates, he won't be around to teach James the ropes, and we may run into the same issues - no leadership to learn from.

Comment

Personnally, I think CWM is doing a terrible job. Last year when we lost 7 of 8, he kept the same line up. If something is not working "CHANGE IT." I like JD & he is trying, maybe too hard. However, CWM must coach
      & teach him what he is supposed to do on the court. If CWM is telling him what to do & not do, then he needs less playing time. Just my humble opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        I was thinking about the Temple game yesterday and by extension Jeremiah Davenport. I think the fan base in general and on here are both very frustrated with JD. People are questioning why he's still on the floor when he throws up wild threes, etc. The answer to lot of the questions is, he's a hometown guy. That brings a lot of pressure and it also possibly means more leeway.

We've seen this before with the hometown guy because it happened with Yancy Gates. The fans were very rough on Yancy when he was at UC because he didn't fit the prototypical big body PF that he appeared to be. He could bang down low but in reality he was a mid range shooter playing out of position on the block. I don't think the local fans ever recognized that with Gates and lots of insults and frustrations resulted. I could go through the archives on here and find entire threads on him, I'm sure.

So back to JD, In my opinion he's pressing when he's on the court and he's trying to be the hometown hero guy we all want him to be. He's trying to live up to the hype. Maybe he just isn't that guy but as fans we're trying to put him in that box anyway. In the end, the best thing we can do for JD and for our own sanity is just lay off him and accept him as he is. He's flawed and I'm sure he's trying to improve. Pushing him to be perfect is a losing proposition for all of us. Not to mention this kid lost his father recently and that could in itself could be the reason for all the hero ball.

So what do you do if you're Wes Miller? You're stuck because JD's a hometown kid and benching him would look bad to recruits in the region who we're currently after. A lot of those recruits are better and different types of players than JD but benching the hometown kid who was the team's star in his first two years is a bad look. As a result JD's probably on the floor more than he should be but we as a fan base are probably making the situation worse for both JD and Wes by hammering both of them when things go wrong on the basketball court in game.

Well in prior years people , even hometown folks, wanted to come to UC not due to birth, but winning basketball, recognition and being developed into NBA talent. I see little, if any of that today. BTW where is Rayvon Griffith from and where will he be playing college ball? Yes it can be used against UC, but a couple of NBA players being developed in a major winning program works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
          All fair points, Lobot. But, the counterpoint is why isn't Wes and the coaching staff speaking to him about taking bad shots, shooting early in the shot clock, his lack of rebounding, or any other shortcomings. If you are going to give latitude to a player, then you must also coach him more closely than the staff appears to be at this point. JD is what he is in terms of his ability, it's his lack of effort and basketball IQ that has forum members puzzled.

As to other issues with this team, what is really lacking is any leadership from the players. Lahkin has great potential but has no upperclassmen to learn from. The same can be said about every position with the exception of PG, where MAW is showing how to play like a Bearcat. We have been hard on him over the years, but this year he has shown real improvement and is a steady and effective PG. The problem is that next year, when he graduates, he won't be around to teach James the ropes, and we may run into the same issues - no leadership to learn from.
          Thus the portal becomes very important.

Comment

Keith McGregor and Bobby Brannon both had to earn their time.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              Keith McGregor and Bobby Brannon both had to earn their time.
              As did Bob Wiesenhahn and Fritz Meyer, among many, from the national champion teams. They were the best team in the NCAA.

Comment

JD was the guy, out of necessity, when he first got here. If he wasn't scoring we had no chance. Now we're building back and he doesn't have to be that, but sometimes he forgets and still tries to be the hero. Lot's of guys are like that, they want to win so badly that they try to do too much, and sometimes in situations they're not cut out for. He wasn't the only one doing that yesterday. I look at how MAW has improved, seemingly overnight, and hope that the best of JD is still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                  JD was the guy, out of necessity, when he first got here. If he wasn't scoring we had no chance. Now we're building back and he doesn't have to be that, but sometimes he forgets and still tries to be the hero. Lot's of guys are like that, they want to win so badly that they try to do too much, and sometimes in situations they're not cut out for. He wasn't the only one doing that yesterday. I look at how MAW has improved, seemingly overnight, and hope that the best of JD is still to come.
                  some of that was true, but I think JD saw the love another local got when JD was a frosh, Jarron Cumberland, and he wanted it. He just isn't the player Cumberland was. Jarron, although playing as a frosh, also had to earn his time as there were some good players on his freshmen year team -- Evans, Washington, Broome, Scott and Gary Clark. Has it just been 5 years ago???????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                    JD was the guy, out of necessity, when he first got here. If he wasn't scoring we had no chance.
                    Huh? He averaged 6 minutes per game with zero starts his first year.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Huh? He averaged 6 minutes per game with zero starts his first year.
                      I actually meant the second Brannen year after Cumberland was gone.

Comment

This team has a ton of talent, but they don’t play well together. It takes 5 guys working together to be a great team. JD has a world of talent albeit raw, but that’s where the staff comes in to develop him to be a complete player. Plus that will help the team. He may not be a top scorer, but with his size and athleticism he can learn to be a top defender. I agree with everyone on this forum that CWM and the staff are not teaching or coaching this kid. I believe we are as talented as Xavier, but hate to admit, they play as a team. Time for our coaches realize our weaknesses

Comment

Originally posted by JBB View Post
                          This team has a ton of talent, but they don’t play well together. It takes 5 guys working together to be a great team. JD has a world of talent albeit raw, but that’s where the staff comes in to develop him to be a complete player. Plus that will help the team. He may not be a top scorer, but with his size and athleticism he can learn to be a top defender. I agree with everyone on this forum that CWM and the staff are not teaching or coaching this kid. I believe we are as talented as Xavier, but hate to admit, they play as a team. Time for our coaches realize our weaknesses
                          I doubt that "everyone" on this forum feels this way. I certainly don't.

Comment

Originally posted by JBB View Post
                            You have to look at how players like MAW and Vik have grown and developed. I’m pleased with the job CWM is doing.

Comment

Well they don't spend any time on rebounding or defense. That's fairly obvious at this point.

Two years ago Davenport was second team all league, and in a much more talented league that year. I just see a bunch of guys playing individual ball with no team concept. Davenport in the right team concept can be a good player. But, if he has to create his own shots, forget it. He's just going to force bad shots over and over.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X