Houston 1/8 3:00 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston 1/8 3:00 ESPN

Somehow this is not a sellout yet but it probably will be by the time it tips.

Houston comes into 5/3 ranked #2 in the country. The names change from year to year but they seem to get better every season under Kelvin Sampson. They don't have the injury bug so far this year and things have been going very well for them at 15-1. The lone loss is to then #8 Alabama at a time when the Cougars were ranked #1. If you can defend Marcus Sasser and Tramon Marks, you have a shot but not much of one. They gang rebound and as many people have pointed out over the last couple of years, they are the players and team we had during the Huggins era at UC. Houston doesn't have a true center but the forwards are offensive rebounding machines. We can't foul the guards becuase they shoot 80%+ at the line. The rest of the team is suspect at the stripe.

The Bearcats looked better against Wichita St. They optimized rebounding with the lineup and brought Davenport off the bench for scoring. We absolutely have to hit that combination again to win. Landers Nolley II and David Dejulius need to show up in this game. Viiktor Lakhin needs to stay on the floor. The crowd need to show up , sound off and stay up as much as possible.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/248

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Houston comes into 5/3 ranked #2 in the country. The names change from year to year but they seem to get better every season under Kelvin Sampson. They don't have the injury bug so far this year and things have been going very well for them at 15-1. The lone loss is to then #8 Alabama at a time when the Cougars were ranked #1. If you can defend Marcus Sasser and Tramon Marks, you have a shot but not much of one. They gang rebound and as many people have pointed out over the last couple of years, they are the players and team we had during the Huggins era at UC. Houston doesn't have a true center but the forwards are offensive rebounding machines. We can't foul the guards becuase they shoot 80%+ at the line. The rest of the team is suspect at the stripe.

The Bearcats looked better against Wichita St. They optimized rebounding with the lineup and brought Davenport off the bench for scoring. We absolutely have to hit that combination again to win. Landers Nolley II and David Dejulius need to show up in this game. Viiktor Lakhin needs to stay on the floor. The crowd need to show up , sound off and stay up as much as possible.

Can't help but point out - I know Davenport can get hot - e.g. his hitting 2/3rd's of his 3's against Wichita - but how likely, coming off the bench or starting, is he going to do that consistently? Revert to a more "normal" 1/3 and the Wichita game is tied at the buzzer. National TV - let's be competitive with one of the truly top teams in the country!

Comment

I am worried that since the Cats were successful with the three ball, specifically in the first half against Wichita, they are going to just heave long balls against Houston and we lose by 40.

Comment

Fans attending should wear black

Also Bengals at 1:00 pm at home

Comment

Shame the Bengal game overlaps the biggest home game of the season which clearly is impacting ticket sales.

I am concerned that Vik and Skillings both sustained injuries late in the Wichita game. Hope that doesn't hamper their play.

This is a legit national championship contender, while we are on the rebuild and just hoping to be relevant and in tournament discussion. This game shouldn't be close and I think we are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. I would be very satisfied if we could keep it under 20 points. Unfortunately we have very few big win opportunities on our remaining schedule so if we want to make a statement, this is certainly the time, I just don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Shame the Bengal game overlaps the biggest home game of the season which clearly is impacting ticket sales.

I am concerned that Vik and Skillings both sustained injuries late in the Wichita game. Hope that doesn't hamper their play.

This is a legit national championship contender, while we are on the rebuild and just hoping to be relevant and in tournament discussion. This game shouldn't be close and I think we are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. I would be very satisfied if we could keep it under 20 points. Unfortunately we have very few big win opportunities on our remaining schedule so if we want to make a statement, this is certainly the time, I just don't see it.
            WHAT -- Bearcats don't accept a defeat before the game is even played. If people do that then NKU would not have showed up before the game versus the Cats. The Cats may lose, but not in a forum but it must be done on the court and if there is a lost, then it will be a hard fought one leaving nothing out of the effort. I am going into that game with a victory in mind on national TV.

Comment

Red Carpet alert
              https://twitter.com/gobearcatsmbb/st...tlrFyIfcuLoDdQ

Comment

UC hung with Arizona in Maui, but WA State took them down today in Tucson, 74-61. The Wildcats shot 20/63, including 4/25 from outside.

The Cougars are now 7-10, while AZ fell to 14-2.

So, you say we have a chance tomorrow against another set of Cougars?

Comment

The UC guards have a big-time national match-up with Houston's guards. In terms of size, UC matches up well. Houston punches their opponents in the mouth early in the game with overwhelming physical intensity. Cincinnati has to match Houston's physicality early to stay in the game. Also, UC has to take care of the ball and hit shots consistently throughout the entire game. UC has a bad habit of going cold in games. This has cost them in all of their losses (NKU, Arizona, Ohio State, Xavier, and Temple). I believe UC has a chance in this game. However, UC has got to get in Houston's chest on the perimeter and keep them off of the offensive boards. If UC can keep Houston's offensive possessions under 55, keeps them under 43 % shooting, and consistently hits shots, they may have a chance to win this game. Most of all, UC HAS TO BRING SOME TOUGHNESS TO THE PARTY. UC CANNOT win this game if they get out-toughed.

Comment

Assuming he's still on the team I would think the Cats could use Ezipke to help battle on the boards today. If we lose Lahkin early to foul trouble like usual I'm concerned Houston will play volleyball over us until they make a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmann View Post
                      Assuming he's still on the team I would think the Cats could use Ezipke to help battle on the boards today. If we lose Lahkin early to foul trouble like usual I'm concerned Houston will play volleyball over us until they make a shot.
                      It is puzzling how Ezipke has not played over the last few games. UC will need him today because UC's big men have a challenge today - foul trouble will likely be a factor in the game. I am still not optimistic about UC's chances in this game. My hope is that they play well but even at their best I don't believe it will be good enough - Houston is that good, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

It is puzzling how Ezipke has not played over the last few games. UC will need him today because UC's big men have a challenge today - foul trouble will likely be a factor in the game. I am still not optimistic about UC's chances in this game. My hope is that they play well but even at their best I don't believe it will be good enough - Houston is that good, IMO.
                        The mystery of Ezipke continues to frustrate me. They've been super quiet on this and it reminds me of the Gunner Kiel situation in football a few years ago. Is anyone else getting that vibe or just me?
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The mystery of Ezipke continues to frustrate me. They've been super quiet on this and it reminds me of the Gunner Kiel situation in football a few years ago. Is anyone else getting that vibe or just me?
                          I did not get the Kiel vibe. Maybe the coaching staff thought he would play a bigger role than he has shown to date. They just misjudged his ability to help the team move forward? That is more likely the scenario with him. Nonetheless, he is a big body and has five fouls to give so he can at least help in some way.

Comment

It is a big mystery. Why he would not play against X when they had foul trouble and he had 5 to give and couldd have at least made Freemantle earn them was a big old flag for me. Not sure what is going on.

Comment

This is very intriguing to me as well. It seems it's just a wasted scholarship to me at this point. And the fact that no word is coming on the situation just makes it more frustrating. You got Newman, Phinesee and the 7ft. kid all sitting the bench not getting in any games so that's almost 20% of your roster inactive every game.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X