NET tracking 2023

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NET tracking 2023

Moved up somehow to 87 after last night's game. Got to get to the low 70s, and preferably the 40s to have any shot at a NCAA at large bid unless we win the AAC tournament.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

The next two opponents are SMU (215) and USF (184), which both slot in as potential Quad 3 road wins -- or, alternatively, Quad 3 losses.

Take care of these two/avoid bad losses, and then you get Memphis (54) as a Quad 2 home win opportunity.

Win all three before heading to #1 Houston and you're at 15-6 and angling towards an NIT bid at least. Last year's NIT field comprised of several teams in the 70s (and as high as Texas A&M and X in the 30s).

Comment

I don't think USF is going to be an easy one despite what we generally think
      Last edited by Lobot; 01-12-2023, 06:48 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Just in looking at Today's net (83) . We're 0-4 in quad 1, haven't played a quad 2 and have 2 losses in quad 3. 8-0 in Quad 4
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

UC only has 3 more chances at Quad 1 wins. @Houston, @UCF and @Memphis. That's it. Lacking any signature wins I don't see how they make the NCAA unless they somehow win the league tourney. Good luck with that.

Currently Lunardi has 2 from the American in (Houston and Memphis). UC is going to have to start a serious run to have any shot at all.

Comment

At this point, we're playing for 1) the best seeding possible in the AAC tournament (ideally a #2 or #3 seed), and if we don't win the tournament, we're playing for 2) a NIT berth

There were 21 NIT at-large bids last season. Here is the final NET ranking of every 2022 at-large team:

#36 - Texas A&M
            #37 - Xavier
            #39 - Oklahoma
            #42 - Wake Forest
            #52 - Dayton
            #53 - SMU
            #54 - Washington State
            #57 - VCU
            #59 - BYU
            #60 - Mississippi State
            #61 - Florida
            #62 - Vanderbilt
            #65 - Utah State
            #66 - St Louis
            #68 - Virginia
            #70 - Santa Clara
            #72 - Missouri State
            #74 - Colorado
            #75 - St Bonaventure
            #76 - Oregon
            #79 - Belmont

If we continue to trend in the direction that we're going, I'm confident we can make the NIT.

Comment

I am not a fan of the NIT but it would give the seniors an opportunity to continue playing their senior season. Also, it will give the rest of the team a chance to keep practicing and playing with the hopes of improvement for next year.

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting all geeked up for an NIT bid.

Part of the problem is a soft out of conference schedule. They knew going in it would be another down year for the AAC. Other than X they did not bring a single ranked or marquee name in. It's just not enough to hang your hat on an early season tournament. Especially when you stink it out in the tourney.

Comment

UC up one spot to 82.

UC is now 13-2 versus Quads 3-4 (and 0-4 versus Quad 1). Memphis is a Quad 2 / top 50 game at home.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcated View Post
                    I'm having a hard time getting all geeked up for an NIT bid.

Part of the problem is a soft out of conference schedule. They knew going in it would be another down year for the AAC. Other than X they did not bring a single ranked or marquee name in. It's just not enough to hang your hat on an early season tournament. Especially when you stink it out in the tourney.
                    Think of it as a long term investment. Xavier won the NIT last year and they're currently in the top 10 in the AP poll. Nothing says we can't make a similar move next year if the NIT is where we end up.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Think of it as a long term investment. Xavier won the NIT last year and they're currently in the top 10 in the AP poll. Nothing says we can't make a similar move next year if the NIT is where we end up.
                      Yeah. I get that logic. The problem is this is largely a senior laden team, so if these guys haven't learned anything by now, I'm not sure what's left.

The frustrating reality is they are so tantalizingly close to maybe sneaking into the NCAA. Lunardi shows 2 teams from the American getting in. It's come down to can UC claw their way up to that 2 spot.

Think about it. If UC takes better care of the ball against Houston and avoids 17 turnovers. How different would this season look if they had managed to steal a home win? It's still possible to get to the 2 spot, but the margin for error is slim.
                      Last edited by bearcated; 01-19-2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Bearcated-i agree with them feeling tantalizingly close, and I do think they gave Houston a heck of a game. For me, I'd love to know how much losing Newman and Phinesee is hurting them, especially on the defensive end. DDJ has done his usual quiet leader thing and really embraced his role on defense, but I think we have seen games where he and MAW have gotten worn down towards the end and missed free throws, made questionable decsiions, etc, that might have gone better with more gas in the tank, particularly given that the two guys who are out would be expected to lock down primary wing/guard scorers. getting 17 turnovers is kind of Houston's game, and they are damn good at it. i think they are probably just too talented for us to realistically beat this year, but memphis is a definite possibility. I wish we could play Ohio State or Xavier (or Temple and NKU, ugh) again playing with the kind of fight they are showing now (as well as the better execution on offense and committment to rebounding and defense). All that being said, given the last few years, if they finish the season strong and have a good showing in the NIT, i could defiinitely live with it, particularly with some of the young guns coming soon.

Comment

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...PA&oe=63CE30A4
                          I believe that this may have been the problem the two previous years.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...PA&oe=63CE30A4
                            I believe that this may have been the problem the two previous years.
                            I do often wonder if a large part of the problem is by inheriting a large group of experienced guys, maybe they just don't listen. I watch these games and I often wonder what they are doing out there. Surely they can't be getting coached to do some of this dumb stuff.

Comment

Our NET is at #78 as of this morning - which to my knowledge, is the highest it's been all season.

We also just gained our first Q2 win of the season since Wichita St rose from #138 to #130 - making our road victory over the Shockers a Q2 game.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X