Hofstra, NIT 3/18 2:00 pm ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Longtime Lurker View Post
    I can agree that the team has been frustrating to watch at times. I'd still argue that there is some selective memory going on here for us to believe that those previous teams were always well coached in fundamentals/gave 100%/have a game plan etc. Our offense has been haphazard and dependient on hero ball for much of that time (under a variety of coaches). Just to cherry-pick, I can well remember the frustration of watching us try to smash Damon Flint into a point position that he just wasn't suited to, screaming at the TV every game for Octavius' guaranteed 1.5 travels for shuffling his feet per game, and, much as we would love to forget, NCAA tourney debacles such as Harvard, (shudder) Nevada (and I'm still bitter about Iowa State and the non-call on the obvious foul on Darnell Burton at the end of that game-but just like the non-TO call for Memphis this weekend, the team should have never been in that position against an inferior opponent).

I'd also say there is a bit of homerism here in terms of how "elite" we all think this job and place is. I grew up on the campus, am a graduate, and will always bleed red and black-but this is not Duke/Kansas/UNC/UK etc. Frankly, I'm fine with that-I actually like the fact that we haven't had a cavalcade of one and dones, that we get the chance to see players develop and graduate, and that the expectation is not "national championship game appearance or the season is a failure". I have way more affinitiy for guys like darnell burton, jaquon parker, trevon scott, gary clark, etc etc etc who stuck around and built themselves and the program up-as great as players like Lance, Dontonio (although dear god those two made me question my sanity as a fan with their decision making), Dermarr, Kenny Satt, etc were, I don't really have the same affection for them as I have had for some of the hard working role players (I loved watching someone like Tarrance Gibson scrap on defense for the two years he was here, for instance, and well remember the tourney game where he got to go off for 27 points). Anyhow, long digression aside, my point here is that as much as we would like to think that we should be able to hire and recruit like some of those so-called "elite" programs, we can't. This is a great program, city and school, with a history of tremendous success-but, having lived many places over the year, the national perception has been closer to lump us (in Huggs' later years and Mick) as being like Arizona, Virginia, Purdue etc-great regular season teams, high expectations going into the tourney, and smart money to go out in round 1 or 2. Couple that with the debacle of the Brannen years (not laying ALL the blame at his feet, but to go through 3 coaches in 4 years would be rough anywhere), and the expectation that CWM could convince high-ranked transfers and recruits to come here and turn the place around in year 1 or 2 was probably misplaced.

While I share the frustration about this team at times, they have shown clear signs of improvement year to year (and month to month). To other's points, I think voicing concerns about game planning, schemes, recruiting principles, etc is all fair game (if frequently overblown and written as if we were all successful D1 coaches)-the coaches are professionals and getting paid good money to do their job and take the questions. I wish we could get away from personal attacks on players (describing people as "trash", questioning their dedication, etc). Yes, they signed up for it too-but these are still young men who signed up to represent our school and are putting in astronomical time and effort. It doesn't feel fair to be slamming them as people. It's a fine line, I will readily grant.
    Wow! Well said. You brought up a lot of history, some of it painful but a lot of good memories of some great players. I remember Mick’s first couple of years. Very painful. A lot of fans wanted him gone (or never hired in the first place). We will see what happens but I am optimistic that Wes will continue to improve the program going forward.
    ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Originally posted by Longtime Lurker View Post
      I can agree that the team has been frustrating to watch at times. I'd still argue that there is some selective memory going on here for us to believe that those previous teams were always well coached in fundamentals/gave 100%/have a game plan etc. Our offense has been haphazard and dependient on hero ball for much of that time (under a variety of coaches). Just to cherry-pick, I can well remember the frustration of watching us try to smash Damon Flint into a point position that he just wasn't suited to, screaming at the TV every game for Octavius' guaranteed 1.5 travels for shuffling his feet per game, and, much as we would love to forget, NCAA tourney debacles such as Harvard, (shudder) Nevada (and I'm still bitter about Iowa State and the non-call on the obvious foul on Darnell Burton at the end of that game-but just like the non-TO call for Memphis this weekend, the team should have never been in that position against an inferior opponent).

I'd also say there is a bit of homerism here in terms of how "elite" we all think this job and place is. I grew up on the campus, am a graduate, and will always bleed red and black-but this is not Duke/Kansas/UNC/UK etc. Frankly, I'm fine with that-I actually like the fact that we haven't had a cavalcade of one and dones, that we get the chance to see players develop and graduate, and that the expectation is not "national championship game appearance or the season is a failure". I have way more affinitiy for guys like darnell burton, jaquon parker, trevon scott, gary clark, etc etc etc who stuck around and built themselves and the program up-as great as players like Lance, Dontonio (although dear god those two made me question my sanity as a fan with their decision making), Dermarr, Kenny Satt, etc were, I don't really have the same affection for them as I have had for some of the hard working role players (I loved watching someone like Tarrance Gibson scrap on defense for the two years he was here, for instance, and well remember the tourney game where he got to go off for 27 points). Anyhow, long digression aside, my point here is that as much as we would like to think that we should be able to hire and recruit like some of those so-called "elite" programs, we can't. This is a great program, city and school, with a history of tremendous success-but, having lived many places over the year, the national perception has been closer to lump us (in Huggs' later years and Mick) as being like Arizona, Virginia, Purdue etc-great regular season teams, high expectations going into the tourney, and smart money to go out in round 1 or 2. Couple that with the debacle of the Brannen years (not laying ALL the blame at his feet, but to go through 3 coaches in 4 years would be rough anywhere), and the expectation that CWM could convince high-ranked transfers and recruits to come here and turn the place around in year 1 or 2 was probably misplaced.

While I share the frustration about this team at times, they have shown clear signs of improvement year to year (and month to month). To other's points, I think voicing concerns about game planning, schemes, recruiting principles, etc is all fair game (if frequently overblown and written as if we were all successful D1 coaches)-the coaches are professionals and getting paid good money to do their job and take the questions. I wish we could get away from personal attacks on players (describing people as "trash", questioning their dedication, etc). Yes, they signed up for it too-but these are still young men who signed up to represent our school and are putting in astronomical time and effort. It doesn't feel fair to be slamming them as people. It's a fine line, I will readily grant.
      Well said. Thank you for this. I have been a Bearcat fan since the Lloyd Batts era (had a man crush on Derrick Dickey) and have experienced the ups and downs of the program since then. Yes, we all would love to see a 3rd NCAA trophy on display. But falling short of that is not the worst thing to happen. How many want to go back to the Gale Catlett probation days, the totally out of his league Ed Badger days, or the miasma of the Tony Yates years??? I for one enjoy the enthusiasm for the program and its history that CWM has shown. Will he take us to the promised land? Who knows. You might want to ask Purdue fans how they are feeling about Matt Painter these days. My point is it’s not easy to get to the highest level, and with the portal and and NIL it’s going to be even more difficult. Let’s give CWM a chance. Yes, criticize and/or question when appropriate, but be fair.

Comment

From my perspective, UC looked like a Power 5 school yesterday at Hofstra. There were many mistakes (15 TOs). However, UC shut Hofstra down in the second half (32% shooting and 10% from 3). Also, UC DID NOT let Hofstra come back as they let teams do about 5 or 6 times this year. As was mentioned earlier by one of the bloggers, this was a GOOD PROGRAM WIN. Think about this for a minute. After this weekend, Cincinnati will be one of 24 D-1 programs still playing (NCAA-16 and the NIT-8). More importantly, the guys coming back next year will have more PRACTICE AND GAME TIME. College football coaches love bowl games because they give these coaches more practice time. More practice time gives these programs a big advantage going into the next year. Let's face it, UC needs all of the practice that it can get going into the BIG 12.

I hope that the team can get to Las Vegas for the NIT Final Four. That would be pretty cool, especially for players like Davenport, Adams-Woods, and DeJulius who are rare in that they are the only 3/4 year UC players in the last 13 or 14 years that have not gone to an NCAA tournament (think Deonta Vaughn). Vaughn got to an NIT, but UC was blown out by Dayton in the second round (Lance Stevenson was also on that team).

Be honest, how many of you thought a month and a half ago that UC would win 23 games on the season? I know I did not, especially after the ECU game. I am in agreement with Terry and Dan, this team is playing some good ball right now. It is not perfect, but they look as though they have found something that works for them. They now go out west and must play in the higher elevations. Breathing may be a concern. I hope that Miller thinks about playing in the mountains and what that entail. Hopefully, Miller gets the team at its location a couple of days early to get more acquainted with playing at higher elevations. Keep on winning and get to Vegas. Roll 'em baby.
        Last edited by leeraymond; 03-20-2023, 03:14 AM.

Comment

It is great to finally some positive comments on here about UC basketball. Like someone else mentioned, I almost didn't watch the replay of game (I was at my grand daughter's dance competition during the actual game time) after reading some of the comments on here. I thought they were losing after the 1st half. The comments like "I'm tired of watching this team, this person, the coach....ect" is a little rough. If you really don't want to watch them or you have false expectations, watch something else.

I'm glad the team is doing well as they are and I certainly didn't expect this 2 months ago. I hope coach CWM sticks around and that the fans don't run him off like they did Mick.
          I also hope Woods sticks around for his final year.

Comment

Originally posted by John P View Post
            It is great to finally some positive comments on here about UC basketball. Like someone else mentioned, I almost didn't watch the replay of game (I was at my grand daughter's dance competition during the actual game time) after reading some of the comments on here. I thought they were losing after the 1st half. The comments like "I'm tired of watching this team, this person, the coach....ect" is a little rough. If you really don't want to watch them or you have false expectations, watch something else.

I'm glad the team is doing well as they are and I certainly didn't expect this 2 months ago. I hope coach CWM sticks around and that the fans don't run him off like they did Mick.
            I also hope Woods sticks around for his final year.
            John if you don't like reading the comments instead of dictating actions for others, take your own advice. Just don't read it then. It is that easy especially if what others say is causing you to lose your joy. My question why would you read comments that informs what is happening before you watch the game. When I watch a delay, I don't read a forum, web page etc. until I see and decide for myself. I did ask my son in law to tell me if the Houston game was a blow out and that was the only game I missed that was televised this year. Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

John if you don't like reading the comments instead of dictating actions for others, take your own advice. Just don't read it then. It is that easy especially if what others say is causing you to lose your joy. My question why would you read comments that informs what is happening before you watch the game. When I watch a delay, I don't read a forum, web page etc. until I see and decide for myself. I did ask my son in law to tell me if the Houston game was a blow out and that was the only game I missed that was televised this year. Have a nice day.
              Surprisingly Leo, (although the shoe fits) it wasn't your negativity I was commenting about.
              Last edited by John P; 03-19-2023, 09:44 PM.

Comment

So, who do we play next? Can we please stop talking about one another?
                Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 03-19-2023, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John P View Post

Surprising Leo, (although the shoe fits) it wasn't your negativity I was commenting about.
                  I thought that, but I still commented on yours. Seriously, doesn't knowing how a game is going ruins it. I remember years ago when my wife was taping a game and said someone just scored, but i won't tell you who (I was away from home and taping it). I said well I hear the crowd cheering. I like to watch it as though it was live, but I do enjoy fast forwarding.. To be honest John, I love fast forwarding and I would do that except I really enjoy the camaraderie with other bearcat fans as the action is taking place. To even be more forward, I have heard everyone in here complain time and time again and now they are reduced to complaining on others, I don't get to speak to many bearcat fans here in Jersey and I so enjoy the commenting on the games.I find many are very wise and constructive. Many are just sore losers and take their frustrations out on others. It takes all kinds and I can live with that. I just enjoy talking to fans who love the same teams as myself.
                  I will also comment about folks saying well we lived through Badger etc. so we are used to mediocre teams. One must remember the first time several of us here saw a Bearcat game, we watched Oscar and then back to back championships. The bar was set high, but I stayed with them through Baker, Badger, that first WVU guy and Yates. I enjoyed 25 years then and I was very frustrated with the last 4 although I see that CWM has changed his style. Again, this NIT is wonderful and I have really enjoyed the games. I wish we all could as we have waited four years for bearcat basketball. Nice talking to you.

I will tell you a story about wanting to be with other fans. I love the Bengals and I was living in Dallas (I moved around a lot for schooling and work). I was so sick and tired of the Cowboy fans not knowing football, but only the cowboys. My wife said don't you get tired of going it alone. I said yeah, but it would be nice to talk to someone who knows the Bengals. That night I went to the SMU spring football game and this is the truth. A man's son was in the game, and he could come in the spring as in the fall he was Head Coach of the Bengals (Forrest Gregg). He sat next to me and we talked about the draft coming (he was shocked I mentioned Verser0 and how we both disliked the Browns. Now that was groovy .BTW his wife really hated the Bengals.I asked about Vince Lombardi and he said "when Mr. Lombardi told you to sit, you didn't look for no chair". Now that was a tough coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
                    So, who do we play next? Can we please stop talking about one another?
                    Colorado or Utah Valley. They play tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Colorado or Utah Valley. They play tonight.
                      Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

colorado or utah valley. They play tonight.
                        9:30, espnu

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X