Year in Review '22-23

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year in Review '22-23

Time for a season post mortem. Try and keep it civil towards players that you would like to see move on. Keep in mind they've seen some stuff in their time here.

Here's the link to the schedule thread from the beginning of the season. Go check your predictions.

https://vb.bearcatnews.com/forum/bas...22-23-schedule
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Some initial thoughts:

It wasn't a great year. It probably wasn't a good year by our standards. But there was some progress for sure. Most noticeably, the jump from 7-11 in AAC play last year to 11-7 this year. Also, qualifying for the NIT and getting a seed isn't the worst thing.

This season didn't feature a marquee victory (Illinois last year) and the NKU loss was not good.

UC finished #101 in KenPom a year ago and is currently #49. They also jumped from #96 to #70 in the NET.

Kalu Ezkipe and Rob Phinissee, unfortunately, did not impact the team in a big way. Landers Nolley, on the other hand, was a 1st team all-conference player, and the type of guy you want to land in the transfer portal.

Wes also landed a top 60 recruit from Florida in Jizzle James, to complement a 4-star local recruit in Rayvon Griffith who committed last offseason.

Freshman Daniel Skillings showed some promise. We didn't see enough of Josh Reed to get a feel for his potential. Sage Tolentino played 8 mins over 2 games in December.

If this team was in the AAC next year, I'd guess they would be on track for an NCAA bid next year (not a lock but probably in position to get one with the right offseason/roster movement and if staying healthy). Obviously major uncertainty heading into the Big 12.

There are guys with eligibility left who I like and I have a hard time seeing pushed out; at the same time, there is enough sample size to say that they are who they are and probably not talented enough -- at least in their current roles -- to lead this team to an NCAA Tournament next year.

ALSO: The injuries to John Newman III and Rob Phinisee definitely made an impact.
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 03-23-2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Let's play Grade the Season.

I'm going with B-

Could have been better but progress was made. Better basketball IQ from some guys would have gotten us to a B probably. The NIT appearance is not a disaster for this squad.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Grade - C+.

This team showed a lot of fight in the Arizona game after that tough loss to NKU, but the NKU game is a great way to describe this team's performance for the season.

Our bigs aren't true bigs, and they are a step or two too slow to make a game changing impact on offense or defense. Many were playing out of position. While they were new in roles for the NKU game, the opponents were able to take advantage of size/speed discrepancies all season long. I expect Houston or Memphis to get behind the defense for a few alley oops, but not Utah Valley or several other teams this year. Ody and Ezipke both progressed thru the year, but neither were comparable to a fully healthy Lahkin. I hope Sage didn't play too much to lose a redshirt year, otherwise he should've been in more games if for no other reason that to get a large presence down low and take some of the fouls off Vik.

Our guard play this year was a mixed bag. Dribbling seemed to be the most effective way to keep the ball, with DDJ and MAW catching several defenses off gueard with drives to the goal. DDJ has a killer drive, stop, and step back shot. Nolley was Nolley. Smooth, deceptively fast and appeared to be our best shooter (not bothering to look at stats as DDJ is probably ahead of him). Reed showed a few early flashes, but Skillings was the most impactful Freshman. Would've liked to see this team with healthy Phinnessee and Newman III all season. The guard play that consistently hurt this team was a combination of lazy passes and ill-advised awful shot selection. Even with the lack of size underneath, had our guards made a few shots and connected on passing to teammates, this team would've won 3-5 more games.

Overall, I still think this team over achieved realistic expectations. At times, everything was clicking. They are not consistent in any phase of the game, and I think part of that is learning Wes'system, and part of it was a few postions just don't have the talent. NBext year the talent level will be better, without knowing who staying or leaving yet. I believe if Wes can bring in one, hopefully two true centers, they will be much improved and highly competitive against a marked step up in competition. Expectations for 23/24 may be same or less than 22/23, but it will be a more fun team to watch. It was frustrating and painful at times during the 22/23 season; however, I cheered them on to the end of the Utah Valley game.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

C- as far as team record, few results away from solid B

B- as far as player improvement

we need another couple more Kalus, in terms of body type, big 12 full of man sized men

Comment

[QUOTE=red_n_black_attack;n401692 I hope Sage didn't play too much to lose a redshirt year, otherwise he should've been in more games if for no other reason that to get a large presence down low and take some of the fouls off Vik./QUOTE]

Unlike football, where a player can participate in up to four games and retain his red-shirt option, that's not true in basketball. One appearance for even a few seconds eliminates the red-shirt option. However, CWM mentioned in one of his radio shows that Tolentino has been battling a knee issue and they probably will file for a medical red-shirt.

Comment

[QUOTE=swilsonsp4;n401698]
              Originally posted by red_n_black_attack;n401692 I hope Sage didn't play too much to lose a redshirt year, otherwise he should've been in more games if for no other reason that to get a large presence down low and take some of the fouls off Vik./QUOTE

Unlike football, where a player can participate in up to four games and retain his red-shirt option, that's not true in basketball. One appearance for even a few seconds eliminates the red-shirt option. However, CWM mentioned in one of his radio shows that Tolentino has been battling a knee issue and they probably will file for a medical red-shirt.
              In 2012-2013, Jeremiah Davis played in four games in November before hurting his wrist. He was unlikely to be in the rotation and I got the sense later in the year that he could have played, but they held him out in hopes of preserving eligibility for a medical redshirt. He didn't play again. he got the redshirt. Unfortunately, when he transferred to Ball State after that year, NCAA transfer rules dictated that he had to sit out again.

Anyways, I don't think Tolentino should have trouble getting a redshirt and Newman shouldn't either. Just an educated guess though.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                Grade - C+.

This team showed a lot of fight in the Arizona game after that tough loss to NKU, but the NKU game is a great way to describe this team's performance for the season.

Our bigs aren't true bigs, and they are a step or two too slow to make a game changing impact on offense or defense. Many were playing out of position. While they were new in roles for the NKU game, the opponents were able to take advantage of size/speed discrepancies all season long. I expect Houston or Memphis to get behind the defense for a few alley oops, but not Utah Valley or several other teams this year. Ody and Ezipke both progressed thru the year, but neither were comparable to a fully healthy Lahkin. I hope Sage didn't play too much to lose a redshirt year, otherwise he should've been in more games if for no other reason that to get a large presence down low and take some of the fouls off Vik.

Our guard play this year was a mixed bag. Dribbling seemed to be the most effective way to keep the ball, with DDJ and MAW catching several defenses off gueard with drives to the goal. DDJ has a killer drive, stop, and step back shot. Nolley was Nolley. Smooth, deceptively fast and appeared to be our best shooter (not bothering to look at stats as DDJ is probably ahead of him). Reed showed a few early flashes, but Skillings was the most impactful Freshman. Would've liked to see this team with healthy Phinnessee and Newman III all season. The guard play that consistently hurt this team was a combination of lazy passes and ill-advised awful shot selection. Even with the lack of size underneath, had our guards made a few shots and connected on passing to teammates, this team would've won 3-5 more games.

Overall, I still think this team over achieved realistic expectations. At times, everything was clicking. They are not consistent in any phase of the game, and I think part of that is learning Wes'system, and part of it was a few postions just don't have the talent. NBext year the talent level will be better, without knowing who staying or leaving yet. I believe if Wes can bring in one, hopefully two true centers, they will be much improved and highly competitive against a marked step up in competition. Expectations for 23/24 may be same or less than 22/23, but it will be a more fun team to watch. It was frustrating and painful at times during the 22/23 season; however, I cheered them on to the end of the Utah Valley game.
                Don’t disagree with anything you stated but
                wondering what is CWM’ system ?
                I know he was hamstrung with Newman &
                Phinisee (sp?) injuries but nevertheless I’m left
                not seeing what his tenets are.

Comment

Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post

Don’t disagree with anything you stated but
                  wondering what is CWM’ system ?
                  I know he was hamstrung with Newman &
                  Phinisee (sp?) injuries but nevertheless I’m left
                  not seeing what his tenets are.
                  I watch a lot of basketball, and my analysis would still be a poor interpretation. One thing I feel confident saying, what we see from Nolley, DDJ, and Skillings is probably a best example of what he wants on perimeter, and what we see from Lahkin is a pretty close interpretation of his philosophy down low, on both offense and defense these are the guys to watch who did what Wes wanted done.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I watch a lot of basketball, and my analysis would still be a poor interpretation. One thing I feel confident saying, what we see from Nolley, DDJ, and Skillings is probably a best example of what he wants on perimeter, and what we see from Lahkin is a pretty close interpretation of his philosophy down low, on both offense and defense these are the guys to watch who did what Wes wanted done.
                    Red n Black- so you’re intimating CWM didn’t have
                    the players to execute his game plans other than
                    those 4 ?

Comment

This is a pretty good look at things ($)

https://theathletic.com/4339367/2023...fseason-needs/
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post

Red n Black- so you’re intimating CWM didn’t have
                        the players to execute his game plans other than
                        those 4 ?
                        No. I think those four executed it the best. I did say my analysis would be poor 🫠

Comment

When you follow a team for a season, a year, a life time, you become attached to these young men after following them for 2,3,4 years and sometimes you forget that they are yet young men. I said that to say this, as far as young men you can't help but root for these guys. You
                          want them to succeed and so like family you begin to
                          criticize when they fail, mistake and underperform.
                          But, you can't help but admire Ody's motor, his tenacity and energy. He gave his all every minute he was in ball games but his ceiling as an offensive threat has been reached. JD, he is all in about Cincinnati and UC. He tried to take the team upon his own shoulders and be the team leader but just couldn't pull it off, with the result actually being the opposite. But you have to give him an A for effort. I liked MAW the minute he first came in his first ball game, four years ago. He eventually did develope a serviceable shot but he is a slow a methodical player. Wes Miller coveted Mikey Saunders speed to go the length of the floor fast breaks etc.but controlling that proved to be futile. MAW and DDJ to an extent are too deliberate in the speed of their game. I can't tell if it's because MAW has a laid back personality or if he is thinking too much while on the floor, but fast paced or fast breaks are not his forte. But both he and JD are very likable young men but both are exactly what your going to get both defensively and more importantly offensively too. . It's unfortunate that Kalu & Rob Phinesee could not contribute as much as we would have liked and it left CWM undermanned much of the year and unable to play
                          the way he would have liked. I could say the same thing about Hensley also. Beginning the year we were informed that he had been playing in the off-season and had greatly improved his game thereby lifting expectations. But then with RP, Newman, Kalu and Sage T all benched for one reason or another during the year and Hensley still could not manage to get into games, even with Reed struggling, he more than any other left me scratching my head. He seemed to be giving great effort when he did get in. Josh Reed started strong but then vanished in games as the year went on but I think he can still develope and contribute next year. Dan Skillings if He continues in the trajectory he's on can be a very good ball player. He had many freshman goofs but all in all I think he could be a star. I like Nolley's game but what I don't like is his what Bob Huggins used to call "playing hard". Some on this forum began calling the ill timed trey attempts as "hero ball", I think LN could be a very good ball player if he would focus on playing hard instead of playing with flash. We will find out in the next few days who is staying and who moves on so my question is with DDJ out of eligibility, who is going to be the lead bearcat on this squad next season?
                          Last edited by Rufus; 03-24-2023, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I'm always a little bummed after the season ends. At the beginning of the year I'm all optimistic but realistically, I was just hoping for 20 wins so I guess the season went as I expected it to go. I sure didn't see a loss to NKU.
                            I won't judge CWM too much because it's only his second year and he took over a program that had completely fallen apart. When Wes got here he spent his 1st month just trying to get some players to come back or to at least stick around just so he had a team to put on the floor.
                            As far as the players go, I'm hoping No One gets run out of town. The guys made a commitment to UC so I hope that commitment goes both ways. I do HOPE that a few guys see it in their best interest to move on so a few more spots open up for new players to come on board.
                            Again, being realistic, I think we're probably at least a few years away from being a competitive team again.
                            Now I'm looking forward to the off season and see what develops from here.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X