Staff hire: Josh Loeffler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staff hire: Josh Loeffler

Rob Dauster is reporting Wes has hired current John Hopkins Head Coach Josh Loeffler.

Just in glancing at it, it looks like there are player and recruiting connections involved here.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Doesn’t appear to be for a “coaching” role so don’t read into this as him replacing any of the current assistants.

UPDATE -- never mind!
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-02-2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Drew Adams will be moving to the bench from what I’m hearing. Loeffler will probably take his current spot on the staff
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Drew Adams will be moving to the bench from what I’m hearing. Loeffler will probably take his current spot on the staff
        Would make sense in that Mike Roberts — who was not in the picture at Mio’s — is not listed in the University’s online staff directory.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Would make sense in that Mike Roberts — who was not in the picture at Mio’s — is not listed in the University’s online staff directory.
          Chad B. has reported he stepped away from the team due to a personal situation.

Comment

Roberts is listed as an assistant coach on GoBearcats.com under the men's basketball page. And I have not seen any publications concerning his departure.

Comment

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/st...04545878564866

"...hiring Josh Loeffler away from Johns Hopkins was a really good move."

Comment

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/6/2/johns-hopkins-mens-basketball-coach-josh-loeffler-steps-down.aspx

BALTIMORE, MD – Johns Hopkins University Director of Athletics Jennifer S. Baker announced today that Josh Loeffler, who has served as the Blue Jay men's basketball coach for six years, has stepped down. Loeffler has accepted a position as an assistant coach with the University of Cincinnati men's basketball program.

"I could not be more excited for Josh and his family as they embark on this wonderful opportunity at the University of Cincinnati," Baker stated. "Josh's record of success at Johns Hopkins speaks for itself, but his six-year tenure here has been about so much more than wins and losses. The young men he has recruited into our program have been exemplary in their representation of Johns Hopkins on the court, in the classroom and in the community. Cincinnati has gained a thoughtful, passionate coach who will cultivate great relationships with his players and the many constituents who touch the Bearcat program."

Loeffler guided Johns Hopkins to a record of 114-27 (.808), including a 77-13 (.855) mark in the Centennial Conference. The Blue Jays won three Centennial Conference Tournament titles and made four trips to the NCAA Tournament during his tenure. Hopkins tied the school record for wins (25) in 2023 and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16. He was also named the Centennial Conference and NABC Region Coach of the Year in 2018 and 2023.

"I will be forever grateful for my time at Johns Hopkins," said Loeffler. "Rarely does one get to work with, and for, such incredible people and I consider myself unbelievably fortunate to have coached student-athletes of such a high caliber alongside such incredible coworkers. I am proud of the work we did as a team, and I am proud to have been a part of an elite athletic department."

Johns Hopkins won at least 23 games four times and made the Centennial Conference title game in each of his five seasons. Loeffler needed just 125 games to become the second coach in program history to reach 100 wins. He is also the only coach in Centennial Conference history to win the league title in his first season.

"I would like to thank Alanna Shanahan and Jen Baker for their support and guidance as athletic directors during my tenure," Loeffler continued. "I'm excited about the future, but it is bittersweet as I will miss the student-athletes and the people at Johns Hopkins immensely. More than anything I would like to thank the student-athletes, coaches, and support staff who helped make this basketball program successful and made my life better daily."

Loeffler coached a two-time NABC First Team All-American, two-time NABC Region Player of the Year, two-time Centennial Conference Player of the Year and two-time Centennial Conference Defensive Player of the Year. He also coached 13 All-Centennial Conference selections and five NABC All-Region selections in his tenure with the Blue Jays.

A national search for Loeffler's replacement will begin immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Roberts is listed as an assistant coach on GoBearcats.com under the men's basketball page. And I have not seen any publications concerning his departure.
                  @Williams_Justin
                  In addition to hiring Josh Loeffler as an assistant coach, former assistant Mike Roberts has completed his two-year contract with #Bearcats MBB and is no longer with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Website now shows Loeffler as an assistant coach (removing Roberts)
                    https://gobearcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/6/2/loeffler-joins-cincinnati-mens-basketball-staff.aspx

"I'm excited to announce Josh Loeffler as a key addition to our staff," Miller said. "He brings a strong head coaching resume to go with a wealth of experience at the Division I level. Josh is one of the bright young minds of college basketball. He thinks and teaches the game with detail and creativity. He also brings a lot of experience working closely with campus leaders and support staff. I believe he is a great addition to our coaching staff as we move to the Big 12."

https://gobearcats.com/images/2023/6...=80&format=jpg
                    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-02-2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

so far I really like ALL the off season moves.

Comment

@Williams_Justin
                        In addition to hiring Josh Loeffler as an assistant coach, former assistant Mike Roberts has completed his two-year contract with #Bearcats MBB and is no longer with the program.
                        I wrote too quickly. Welcome Coach Loeffler.

Comment

Brendel:

Sources tell @BearcatJournal that Josh Loeffler will be a bench assistant but not one of the three assistants on the road recruiting. Drew Adams expected to join Chad Dollar and Andre Morgan on the road.

New NCAA rule effective 7/1 allows for 5 bench assistants. #Bearcats

Comment

@Williams_Justin

I'm not implying anything by any means but I did not like the demeaner / attitude MR projected while on the bench
                            during televised games. What I saw during those brief snapshots of interaction between he a CWM was merely tolerating each other. I'll admit I do not know him personally, but he just didn't present himself as one fully invested in the assignments given to him which to my understanding was the front court players. If I'm off base on this I apologize but going forward, I believe player development wise, UC is in a much better position now.

Comment

I like coach Loeffler. He has won 80 % of his games and if you go and check Johns Hopkins' statistics from last season, you will see that they only lost five (5) games last season (2 in the conference). Also, check these stats out: they gave up only 60 points a game, teams only shot 38% against them (about 29% from three), and they outrebounded teams 42 to 33. Hey, this guy knows how to play DEFENSE. Now here is the uncertainty. Will coach Loeffler's methods transfer to the D-1 level? I do not see why his methods would not work. On some basic level, basketball is basketball. The big differences are the size, skills, and athleticism of the players. Coach Miller has done an outstanding job of transforming the roster and coaching staff. It is almost as if Coach Miller has been reading this blog and is addressing the observed weaknesses of the program. Nah, no way! Seriously though, all of the pieces now appear in place, at least on paper.

If UC can get everybody eligible, stay healthy, and combine Coach Miller's scoring with coach Loeffler's defense, this team may have the potential to be a very special team next season. Great move Miller by bringing Loeffler on board.
                              Last edited by leeraymond; 06-05-2023, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X