Big 12 Media Day stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 Media Day stuff

If you'd like to watch Media Day, it's on ESPN+ live at 10:00 ET. Wes has a press conference at 10:25

Full schedule

https://big12sports.com/feature/2023...ketball-tipoff

https://big12sports.com/documents/20...te.pdf?id=7156
    Last edited by Lobot; 10-18-2023, 09:32 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Just noticed something weird on the schedule. They're having a press conference for Curtis Shaw, the conference's director of officials. Wonder what's that going to be about.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Justin Williams: Wes Miller announces at Big 12 media day that second-time transfer big men Aziz Bandaogo and Jamille Reynolds have both had their waivers for immediate eligibility denied by the NCAA. Miller says Cincinnati is appealing the decision.

Comment

How long does this typically take? Has a precedent been established on the time table for this. I read that UC is appealing to the Ohio Attorney General, is that standard protocol.

Comment

Full Wes Miller video here from Big 12 Media Day
          https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsMBB/st...70211696136289

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
            How long does this typically take? Has a precedent been established on the time table for this. I read that UC is appealing to the Ohio Attorney General, is that standard protocol.
            They won't appeal to the Ohio AG. They may ask the AG to represent UC in its appeal of the NCAA decision denying the application for immediate eligibility. The AG is the statutory counsel for all state universities such as UC. I don't know whether it will actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
              It was not standard protocol until this year when UNC went that route with their transfer waiver for a football player and was successful. The NCAA did a really quick about face when hit with a court challenge.

If I were the NCAA, I'd run and hide and on these things and grant the waivers for this season only. They're getting absolutely crushed in court on nearly everything thrown at them right now. If they wanted to lock down the waiver process, that's fine. I get that it needs to have some rules to it. You can't change course in the middle of the season and leave a bunch of athletes hanging who thought it would be ok to transfer because of the prior rules in place. Most of the players trapped in the process were advised by various parties to take the angles for a transfer waiver that they chose.

Now do I think every mental health waiver request is legit ? No, but if you blanket deny them like what the NCAA seems to want to do this year and the NCAA as an organization has also publicly advocated for mental health iniatives in sports, you're about to have a really bad optics problem. The NCAA is talking out of both sides of their mouth on this.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

It was not standard protocol until this year when UNC went that route with their transfer waiver for a football player and was successful. The NCAA did a really quick about face when hit with a court challenge.

If I were the NCAA, I'd run and hide and on these things and grant the waivers for this season only. They're getting absolutely crushed in court on nearly everything thrown at them right now. If they wanted to lock down the waiver process, that's fine. I get that it needs to have some rules to it. You can't change course in the middle of the season and leave a bunch of athletes hanging who thought it would be ok to transfer because of the prior rules in place. Most of the players trapped in the process were advised by various parties to take the angles for a transfer waiver that they chose.

Now do I think every mental health waiver request is legit ? No, but if you blanket deny them like what the NCAA seems to want to do this year and the NCAA as an organization has also publicly advocated for mental health iniatives in sports, you're about to have a really bad optics problem. The NCAA is talking out of both sides of their mouth on this.
                This is why UC must appeal. The NCAA will cave but you have to force its hand. They are hoping that universities won’t sue and just accept the decisions.

Comment

Some Scott Springer tweets

- Curtis Shaw @Big12Conference coordinator of officials says charge calls will all but go away. For example, a player slides over as as a secondary defender to get position. If they fall, it's rarely going to be charge unless the defender has been set. Several video examples shown.
                  - Porter Moser of Oklahoma says he's gotten to know Wes Miller. The Sooners play @GoBearcatsMBB twice and he expects 5/3 to be "loud, energetic and to light up Oklahoma for leaving (Big 12).
                  - Bill Self/ Kansas refers to UC's tradition when asked about their addition. "Heck, Oscar (Robertson) played there!" He also refers to what Bob Huggins did and what Wes Miller will do.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    Some Scott Springer tweets

- Curtis Shaw @Big12Conference coordinator of officials says charge calls will all but go away. For example, a player slides over as as a secondary defender to get position. If they fall, it's rarely going to be charge unless the defender has been set. Several video examples shown.
                    That echoes what they told DerMarr Johnson at WVU practice. I wasn't sure if he was serious but now we know he wasn't joking.

Also, why the heck were they calling charges with a sliding defender in the first place? That was never the rule.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

More Wes Miller video, via Keegan from BCJ. Breakout session: https://youtu.be/x8LKYgGJhPc?si=FLvpt03g5o_GvZK9

Comment

Yormark confirmed the 20 game league schedule for 2024-25. So it looks like 5 teams twice, 10 teams once.

Comment

Recap https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/10/...nsas-city.aspx

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X