Northern Kentucky 11/19 2:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Kentucky 11/19 2:00 ESPN+

The Bearcats get the week off after 3 games in 8 days. I'm not sure if that will turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing but it gives Wes a week to prepare the team for a zone defense.

The Norse are not the same team as last year and have started 0-2 on the road against MTSU and Washington. Vinson and Warrick are back at the guard spots from last season's home win over the Bearcats. We're going to be out for revenge after last year so I don't think this will go the same direction as last season's game.

NKU plays Depauw (not Depaul) on 11/14. I'm pretty sure Depauw is a division down and not D1. That game is on ESPN+ at 7:00 if you want to scout.

ESPN predictor is saying there's almost no way NKU pulls this out against the UC. Hopefully it's a better metric than it has been for football season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../stats/_/id/94
    Last edited by Lobot; 11-18-2023, 12:42 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Current KenPom: #52 UC, #204 NKU

Viktor Lakhin, Ody Oguama, and Josh Reed are the only guys on the current roster who saw the floor in last year's 64-51 loss to NKU.

Sam Vinson (13.5 PPG) and Marques Warrick (12.0 ppg) combined for 37 points against UC last year. 6'9 220 lb. forward Keeyan Itejere (10.0 ppg) transferred in from Marquette, where he averaged 0.8 ppg last season.

Comment

Last season's game across the river was a tale of two halves offensively. The Bearcats put up 40 in the first, then brought in Laurel and Hardy to play after halftime. It's really hard to score 40, then launch bricks for a total of 11 after that.

The Cats became very timid near the basket and couldn't buy one from outside. The Norse were fired up and blocking everything inside. It just snowballed.

At the other end of the floor, NKU continually ran isolations down the middle of the lane, either shooting over UC's shorter guards or blowing past them.

The Norse-DePauw game will be on ESPN+ at 7:00 tomorrow night. The Tigers are a DIII program. No athletic scholarships. DePauw have 20 players on their roster, 10 of them frosh; 3 seniors. The Tigers aren't very big.
      Last edited by swilsonsp4; 11-13-2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        The Bearcats get the week off after 3 games in 8 days. I'm not sure if that will turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing but it gives Wes a week to prepare the team for a zone defense.

The Norse are not the same team as last year and have started 0-2 on the road against MTSU and Washington. Vinson and Warrick are back at the guard spots from last season's home win over the Bearcats. We're going to be out for revenge after last year so I don't think this will go the same direction as last season's game.

NKU plays Depauw (not Depaul) on 11/14. I'm pretty sure Depauw is a division down and not D1. That game is on ESPN+ at 7:00 if you want to scout.

ESPN predictor is saying there's almost no way NKU pulls this out against the UC. Hopefully it's a better metric than it has been for football season.

DePauw is where my wife went to undergraduate school. We even got the hoodies. Their rival is Wabash. They are a liberal arts college and somewhat difficult to get into. They were a Methodist school and changed its name to DePauw due to a major donor. Eli Lilly attended there and became a major donor. They are know for long legged female blondes or at least my wife is. Go Tigers. PS. My wife went to grad school at UC. That is where we met.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

DePauw is where my wife went to undergraduate school. We even got the hoodies. Their rival is Wabash. They are a liberal arts college and somewhat difficult to get into. They were a Methodist school and changed its name to DePauw due to a major donor. Eli Lilly attended there and became a major donor. They are known for long legged female blondes or at least my wife is. Go Tigers. PS. My wife went to grad school at UC. That is where we met.
          UC and DePauw have met nine times in basketball, none recently. Between 1930 and 1933, the Tigers dominated the Bearcats, winning five of six matchups. UC rebounded in 1955-1957 with two convincing wins, before the 1963 NCAA runner-up team embarrassed DePauw, 93-39.

Comment

In the 1930's their football team was great. Their '33 team was unbeaten, untied and unscored upon. My wife reminds me of this.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
              Last season's game across the river was a tale of two halves offensively. The Bearcats put up 40 in the first, then brought in Laurel and Hardy to play after halftime. It's really hard to score 40, then launch bricks for a total of 11 after that.

The Cats became very timid near the basket and couldn't buy one from outside. The Norse were fired up and blocking everything inside. It just snowballed.

At the other end of the floor, NKU continually ran isolations down the middle of the lane, either shooting over UC's shorter guards or blowing past them.

The Norse-DePauw game will be on ESPN+ at 7:00 tomorrow night. The Tigers are a DIII program. No athletic scholarships. DePauw have 20 players on their roster, 10 of them frosh; 3 seniors. The Tigers aren't very big.
              Given how much more adept we are at attacking the basket this year, I'd like to think we're more likely to avoid the problems that plagued us in Highland Heights last season.

This is a game we should expect to win by 15 at minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

That Laurel and Hardy reference is pretty funny. Many of the younger bloggers here are probably asking themselves, who the f%$#@ are Laurel and Hardy?
                Last edited by leeraymond; 11-13-2023, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I got a chance to see NKU play the U of Washington (Power 5) last week. NKU was on the road and it was a HIGHLY contested game until late in the second half. NKU had 19 offensive rebounds this game. Washington has two Kentucky transfers that took over the game late. Also, neither Warrick or Vinson had a good scoring game. Nevertheless, NKU is well-coached and if UC does not take them seriously, especially the new guys, this is a game that NKU can steal. NKU has some pretty good athletes (shot-blockers) on this team. Also, NKU are picked again to win the Horizon. Miller should prepare the team as if this is tournament game.
                  Last edited by leeraymond; 11-14-2023, 02:34 PM.

Comment

The Norse took a 17-point lead into the locker room at half, then traded scores the rest of the way for an 85-68 win over DePauw. NKU took 61 shots, 30 of them by Sam Vincent and Marquez Warrick, each of whom scored 21. Vincent went 8/13 from the floor (5/8 from three). Warrick sent 7/17 (4/10). Forward Cade Miller added 12.

In a sense, this was nothing more than an exhibition, considering that the Tigers are a DIII program.

Comment

Game preview
                      https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/11/...on-sunday.aspx

Comment

The game is on Nov 19 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
                          The game is on Nov 19 I think.
                          Yep thanks for catching that. I'll fix it.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Sage is not dressed apparently. No idea why
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Once again, no Griffith.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget