Howard 11/28 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard 11/28 7:00 ESPN+

This is part of the last minute home and home contract we signed in an emergency to fill this years schedule out, so this game is in DC. As such, they have the rights to the broadcast but their conference doesn't have a TV contract so this will not be broadcast nationally to my knowledge.

The Bison are out of the MEAC and are 2-4 to start the year. They have losses to common opponents GT (by 3) and Bryant (by 6) . They play one more game coming into our contest on Saturday vs. Mount Saint Mary's. That game will be on ESPN+ at 4:00.

The guy to focus on defensively for Howard is guard Bryce Harris. He leads the team in ppg and rpg.

Closet Buckeye fans might recognize Seth Towns from their roster. Towns is a wild transfer story in that he played at Harvard for 2 years starting in 2016-2017 and sat out 2 entire seasons with injuries. He's missed portions or all of 4 the last 5 seasons with injuries and is now a grad transfer at Howard after spending last year with tOSU. This is only his 4th season actually playing because of all that and medical redshirts. I believe he's on year 6 in college now and he still might have a COVID year left.

The Bison roster tops out with Towns at 6'9. I would expect lots of action for Bandaogo in this one.

This got scheduled because logistics fell through for a better opponent. Personally I think this game will benefit us since we won't be walking in to Cintas later in the season without a road game under our belt for a change.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../stats/_/id/47
    Last edited by Lobot; 11-25-2023, 12:37 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

According to the Howard website https://hubison.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule the game will be on ESPN+

Comment

Originally posted by Barklee View Post
      According to the Howard website https://hubison.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule the game will be on ESPN+
      Good. ESPN doesn't list it and neither does GoBearcats so I guess we'll see. Production quality might be interesting.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It is scheduled to be on ESPN+ per GoBearcats website:

https://gobearcats.com/coverage
        There is only ONE first time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats_Rule View Post
          It is scheduled to be on ESPN+ per GoBearcats website:

https://gobearcats.com/coverage
          Works for me.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Howard defeated MSM in 2OT

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              This is part of the last minute home and home contract we signed in an emergency to fill this years schedule out, so this game is in DC. As such, they have the rights to the broadcast but their conference doesn't have a TV contract so this will not be broadcast nationally to my knowledge.

The Bison are out of the MEAC and are 2-4 to start the year. They have losses to common opponents GT (by 3) and Bryant (by 6) . They play one more game coming into our contest on Saturday vs. Mount Saint Mary's. That game will be on ESPN+ at 4:00.

The guy to focus on defensively for Howard is guard Bryce Harris. He leads the team in ppg and rpg.

Closet Buckeye fans might recognize Seth Towns from their roster. Towns is a wild transfer story in that he played at Harvard for 2 years starting in 2016-2017 and sat out 2 entire seasons with injuries. He's missed portions or all of 4 the last 5 seasons with injuries and is now a grad transfer at Howard after spending last year with tOSU. This is only his 4th season actually playing because of all that and medical redshirts. I believe he's on year 6 in college now and he still might have a COVID year left.

The Bison roster tops out with Towns at 6'9. I would expect lots of action for Bandaogo in this one.

This got scheduled because logistics fell through for a better opponent. Personally I think this game will benefit us since we won't be walking in to Cintas later in the season without a road game under our belt for a change.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../stats/_/id/47
              I commend Coach Miller for taking this game. Howard University is a relatively small school (9809 undergraduates in 2022) that has a very small basketball venue that the team plays in (Burr Gymnasium). It has a seating capacity of only 2,700. I have been following college basketball a long time. I have never heard of a Power Conference school ever playing in a venue that small in a typical road game. It should be an interesting experience for UC and for the students and fans of Howard U. Basketball to see a Power 5 team up that close. This road game should give the new players a good experience with being on the road with the UC Basketball Program. Also, and no disrespect to Howard University Basketball, this should be a happy ride back from the game for UC. Hopefully, it is. It should be. Anyway, hats off to Coach Miller for taking this game, no matter how it came about. Many Power 5 coaches would not give a second thought to playing a road game at a small school like Howard University.
              Last edited by leeraymond; 11-26-2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I watched a bit of the ESPN+ replay of Howard's game at Mt. St. Mary's. It was a sloppy affair. The Bison turned it over 21 times. Both teams played aggressive half-court man-to-man. I didn't see either team try to press.

Howard are athletic and really want to run. Their opponents were not particularly athletic or gifted, so it was hard to gauge how they'd do against a major team. I suspect not very well.

Seth Towns is a load at 6'9", 240#, as a small forward. He shoots a lot, as evidenced by his 18 attempts Saturday. He was 3-for-8 from outside. The team as a whole did not hit well from the arc (6-for-22).

The Bison owned the boards (46-30) but fouled 23 times. Towns and another player each had 4, while a third fouled out.

I suspect that, once the Cats get used to the small, close surroundings, they'll easily put the Bison down, say 95-68.

Howard 87-83 Mount St. Mary's (Nov 25, 2023) Box Score - ESPN

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                  I watched a bit of the ESPN+ replay of Howard's game at Mt. St. Mary's. It was a sloppy affair. The Bison turned it over 21 times. Both teams played aggressive half-court man-to-man. I didn't see either team try to press.

The Bison owned the boards (46-30) but fouled 23 times. Towns and another player each had 4, while a third fouled out.

Howard 87-83 Mount St. Mary's (Nov 25, 2023) Box Score - ESPN
                  As for the fouls, I do not think it will affect the game because UC cannot shoot free throws. Well, one day they may shoot 80 percent and then the next day they will shoot 50 percent. If you miss the front end of a one and one, it is leaving points off the board.

Comment

The problem with a foul-prone team such as Howard isn't that the other team might or might not make the free throws, but that the Bison can't guard anyone. Through seven games, they're yielding 83.9 ppg against a schedule that includes #70 James Madison as the best foe, per KenPom.

Comment

Per Howard BB's Twitter/X, this will be "only the 3rd Power 5 school on campus since 2000"

Comment

UC says this will be on ESPN+

Comment

This gym is similar to Tulane in size but the seats don’t come down to floor from the pic I saw. There’s a wall around the court. No diving out of bounds on the sidelines here.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            This gym is similar to Tulane in size but the seats don’t come down to floor from the pic I saw. There’s a wall around the court. No diving out of bounds on the sidelines here.
                            Here's a photo:

BurrGymnasium2 - Burr Gymnasium - Wikipedia

For comparison, Burr seats 2,700, while Fairfield HS seats about 3,000.
                            Last edited by swilsonsp4; 11-27-2023, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Howard is an HBCU founded in 1867 just after the Civil War. Howard was the first University in Americas to give blacks the opportunity to become medical doctors. My great uncle Dr. Earnest A. Just (google him) is a Howard grad. My son who is a doctor chose Cincinnati medschool over Howard. In 1965 President LBJ delivered the commencement address at Howard’s graduation. Cudos to Coach Miller for taking the Bearcats to Howard!
                              My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X