https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401577537
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Wes is now 2-17 in Q1 games as our coach

Comment

Originally posted by bearcated View Post

I don't need to be a D1 coach to know bad basketball when I see it. If not the coach, who do I blame? The cheerleaders?

The talent is sufficient. Not dominant, but s/b enough to beat a rebuilding X squad and a decent mid-major Dayton team. If they had been competitive in those games, but it just came down to who made the last shot to win, then so be it. Stuff happens.

I expected last night to be a close competitive game, that would come down to the last minute or two. The arena sucks, but I liked the idea of a close game and tournament type feel, with a fired up crowd. Last night Dayton largely controlled the game, and dominated in the second half. At no point in the second half did I feel like UC was going to make a serious run. The UC side of the arena was just sitting in shocked disbelief, watching Dayton fans high five in celebration.

There are problems with this program, and at some point the buck has to stop somewhere.
        talent sufficient, yeah, depth is nice, but maybe over-rated, we need an alpha on offense, and a clue on defense

imo, we are rebuilding like X and dayton is not a mid-major

idk if wes can do it, don't have any answers

I'm just a 5 7 guy who never played, and wants this team to win sooooooooo bad

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I was led to believe that the rando sub patterns would disappear this year without Mike Roberts on the bench doing analytics. Guess not.

As far as Rayvon goes, He's playing at the deepest position on the team and has a lot of things to work on. It makes sense for him to redshirt at this point even though I'm sure it's not what anyone originally planned to do going into this year.

Wes seems to lack feel for the game when he's coaching particularly on the road. The substitution patterns are frustrating becuase he will remove a player with a hot hand based on time on the clock. Or at least it seems that way.

This team has no idea what to do away from 5/3. We should have seen the Xavier and and Dayton results coming after Howard took us to overtime in DC.
          The substitution patterns definitely puzzle me, I'm not sure I can figure out why. Also, while it's good to have the two new guys eligible, it's disrupted the flow this team has had earlier. Ody played only 7 minutes last night, and if there's any one player who has played his butt off for this team more than Ody, I can't figure who it might be. Look at the box score last night, three Dayton guys played more than 30 minutes, their best facilitator played 37. Wes has to find out who his best players are and keep them on the floor, and keep the hot hand in the game. We'll see, there is a lot more talent on this team than when Wes got here, and it's still December, but this team has to develop guys who don't wilt against better competition away from home. Maybe they need to just play in more of those games, and there will be plenty of chances to play games like that starting January 6. And, let's have a tougher non-league schedule starting next season to prepare for the Big 12.

Last night I almost felt like booing this team. The only time I've ever booed the Bearcats was the end of the Presbyterian game back in the 2011-12 season, when they lost through blatant stupidity. That team turned out OK, going to the Sweet 16, so there's hope.
          Last edited by longtimefan; 12-17-2023, 01:38 PM.

Comment

The big question is:
            Can the Cats play against good competition at home without folding?

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

The substitution patterns definitely puzzle me, I'm not sure I can figure out why. Also, while it's good to have the two new guys eligible, it's disrupted the flow this team has had earlier. Ody played only 7 minutes last night, and if there's any one player who has played his butt off for this team more than Ody, I can't figure who it might be. Look at the box score last night, three Dayton guys played more than 30 minutes, their best facilitator played 37. Wes has to find out who his best players are and keep them on the floor, and keep the hot hand in the game. We'll see, there is a lot more talent on this team than when Wes got here, and it's still December, but this team has to develop guys who don't wilt against better competition away from home. Maybe they need to just play in more of those games, and there will be plenty of chances to play games like that starting January 6. And, let's have a tougher non-league schedule starting next season to prepare for the Big 12.

Last night I almost felt like booing this team. The only time I've ever booed the Bearcats was the end of the Presbyterian game back in the 2011-12 season, when they lost through blatant stupidity. That team turned out OK, going to the Sweet 16, so there's hope.
              ODY hustles -- We need that example on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

It’s Rayvon. I don’t understand the coaches’ logic behind this. Do they want to redshirt him? Is there not a position for him in the random substitution pattern? Is he not the recruit we apparently believe he is? I just don’t get why he can’t see the court.
                Miller says it is because he don't play hard in practice. My question is what do they do in practice that negates him not playing hard. From what I see he would have to sit exactly right where he's at in games in the practices to not practice hard. I don't see anyone else on the floor playing their hearts out. I don't see anyone playing any sort of bball plays other than throw the ball up first time someone gets open. In his post game, Miller commented that losing to home town teams is no big deal because they are only to get prepared for conference schedule play. I'm not disparaging UD but if you can't bang around with teams in the A10 then your not going to bang with dogs like the Kansas' and Baylors'. I guess we should be glad we didn't go against Miami otherwise we'd be O for SW Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

ODY hustles -- We need that example on the floor.
                  This is a disappointing loss. What is also disappointing is the way Miller managed the players. Miller DOES NOT play the match-ups. In the Xavier game, Miller did NOT put Newman on Olivari until he had already scored 23 points. Last night, Miller played Aziz 28 minutes and only played Oguama 7 minutes. Oguama is the team's BEST big man defender and is one of the best defenders on the team. The match-ups last night did not favor Aziz. Dayton's big men were too quick and agile for Aziz. Everyone saw that accept Miller. I get it. Aziz had 10 points and 12 rebounds, but how many open shots did Aziz give up? Too many to count.

Check these stats out. When Oguama starts a game, UC gives up an average of 62.4 points/game. When Aziz starts a game, UC gives up an average of 72 points/game. This is based on 10 ten games played and each Oguama and Aziz has started 5 games. Also, when Oguama starts a game, UC scores 85.2 points a game on average. For Aziz, UC scores 83.4 points game. With Oguama starting a game, UC is a better team based on the numbers.

Miller put the team in a number of bad situations with his strange substitutions, where the match-ups favored Dayton,. Why play Aziz 28 minutes when Holmes is too qiuck for him. Why not play Oguama on Holmes? Also, why not put Newman on Koby Elvis some. Elvis hit for 27. The lack of those basic types of adjustments is what is frustrating about watching Miller coach a game.

I could image that in some UC fan and power circles, the drum beat for getting rid of Miller started after last night's embarrassing loss. Make no bones about it, UC should have shown BETTER than it did. Is Miller a coach that can win in the BIG 12? Can he get the program to the next level? As it looks now, maybe not. Look, Miller has been a head coach now for about 13 years. He still has trouble identifying match-ups and how to adjust to what the other team is doing. There are at least 20 games left to go. Let's re-examine Miller after the season is over. That will truly tell the complete story.

Last edited by leeraymond; 12-18-2023, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Loved the announcers. They talked about the game and nothing else. So refreshing compared to some of the big name announcers.

Comment

Miller said that these hometown games are merely to get ready for conference games. So who on this forum thinks that he is putting all this on tape as a deception to fool the big12 teams? Nah me neither.

The onus of identifying mismatches and any corrections that need to be made fall on every assistant coach as well. It's not just on Miller but I swear it looks as though he is only installing players only so that they can get their promised minutes. These last two games looks as though these guys have never coached a basketball game before. Someone else earlier suggested benching the starters, I'd go one step farther and start only Tolentino, long, Kirkwood, reed, and Anthony. I would play Griffith too. He can't be any more inefficient than what we've seen so far. You have six players plus Reynolds that haven't had much game time, we play Merrimack next what have we got to lose? If I was coach I wouldn't even let the regulars dress for this game.

I am no bball coach, don't claim to be an expert, but I will say this, if I was Cunningham I'd be in Millers office right now asking if this job is too big for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I was led to believe that the rando sub patterns would disappear this year without Mike Roberts on the bench doing analytics. Guess not.

As far as Rayvon goes, He's playing at the deepest position on the team and has a lot of things to work on. It makes sense for him to redshirt at this point even though I'm sure it's not what anyone originally planned to do going into this year.

Wes seems to lack feel for the game when he's coaching particularly on the road. The substitution patterns are frustrating becuase he will remove a player with a hot hand based on time on the clock. Or at least it seems that way.

This team has no idea what to do away from 5/3. We should have seen the Xavier and and Dayton results coming after Howard took us to overtime in DC.
                        Are you saying the other players at Rayvon's position don't have a lot of things to work on? C'mon. Be real.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
                          Loved the announcers. They talked about the game and nothing else. So refreshing compared to some of the big name announcers.
                          agreed the Coach was very astute

Comment

If I was Rayvon, I'd say "see ya".

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
                              If I was Rayvon, I'd say "see ya".
                              We don’t know what is going on with Rayvon, and I don’t think we should be trying to run him off because of what happened last night.

Comment

I'm not trying to run him off. I want him to play. And, it has nothing at all to do with last night. I think he's getting a raw deal.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X