Evansville 12/29 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I love Vik but he's a finesse guy. I'll certainly take the offense he gives because he's definitely got skills in the lane and outside it.

Reynolds dunks everything he can. Old school Bearcat basketball.

Bandaogo is the post defender on the team but I think the team lacks team defense when he's on the floor because they funnel the ball to him and expect him to erase everything.

Ody doesn't fit in with these guys. And I like Ody. He's a high energy guy who nevers quits on defense or the boards but he's subpar on offense. Ody came back knowing he might get his minutes reduced and I hope the fans recognize that on Senior Day. He deserves all the applause for sticking it out.
    Yeah. I like Oguama too. What is funny is that UC is a better defensive team when he is in the game. In terms of points given up, opponents' shot attempts, shots made, and shooting percentage, when Oguama starts a game all of those defensive numbers are better. If you do not believe it, check out the numbers for yourself. I did not include the Stetson game, which Oguama started, because he only played 11 minutes that game and Reynolds played 20 minutes. When Oguama plays 20 minutees or so, UC is a pretty good defensive team. UC is REALLY going to need his defense in BIG 12 play. However, Miller thinks that defense is secondary to offense. Oguama DESERVES more minutes. The team is better when he plays substantial minutes.
    Last edited by leeraymond; 12-31-2023, 04:11 AM.

Comment

That there is the very "pickle" UC finds itself. Out of the three best defenders who are willing to play defense, two are no threat on offense or have shown no ability to be so. Newman is our best defender and can score both outside and inside. Oguama is our only frontcourt player willing to play defense (Aziz has been limited thus far ) and Reed is a great defensive player but his offense is strictly from the three from what's been on tape thus far in his career and is sporadic. And the player who has shown any Eric Hicks type of attitude to be a rebounder has a tendency to get beat on defense. When Miller installs for defense the offense suffers and when our offense is installed the defense is non existent. Vik has been told these past 2+ years to play apprehensively in order to keep his fouls down as He was our only threat to score down low, but the Dayton game was an eye opener in the lack of defense from Vik. In my opinion Vik needs to be convinced to play defense and to not think about fouls and so He and Jamille need to be starters and communicate on defense. You can sub in Aziz and Ody to obtain "fouls". In my thinking you got two bodies that need playing time so make their time more useful by obtaining fouls. Newman needs to start and guard the "shooter" Day Day and JJ both need to penetrate more to not only dish off, pass out to the wing, but to get fouled too. I remember when getting the opponents players in foul trouble was a viable game strategy. That's how UC became to known as thugs because of our aggressiveness. Day Day seemed to take the hint on his defensive skill set against EU so these others need to get more aggressive also. Then we need our frontcourt to extensively trained on boxing out, setting screens, and learning the art of rebounding which should be a part of everyday practice already. The potential is in place but I'm really dismayed that it has taken these players this long to grasp the concept of guarding the other guy. And I'm dismayed in that Miller has tolerated it for so long. As someone in an earlier post said this all comes down to coaching.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X