Brigham Young 1/6 10:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Jizzle James is just a freshman. I'm looking forward to see him mature by the end of this season and get better next year.
    He has had 14 games and he shows his talent at the off guard. I have yet to see much on the point. He is a keeper and should start, but the cats needs a floor leader. A true floor leader will show some traits of it right off the bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

He has had 14 games and he shows his talent at the off guard. I have yet to see much on the point. He is a keeper and should start, but the cats needs a floor leader. A true floor leader will show some traits of it right off the bat.
      Welp. It took Steve Logan four years to become an all-American. Same thing with Kenyon Martin. Neither of them were anywhere near as impressive their Freshman year as Jizzle James. I'm happy to take what we can get from JJ this year and watch him develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Welp. It took Steve Logan four years to become an all-American. Same thing with Kenyon Martin. Neither of them were anywhere near as impressive their Freshman year as Jizzle James. I'm happy to take what we can get from JJ this year and watch him develop.
        They both showed promise right away. KMART with his shot blocking and Logan with his shooting. That is why they were recruited and they developed into more. JJ was recruited for the point and he is a very good off guard with a great future. Therefore, for the Cats to take a major step, they need a floor leader. Let JJ create and do his drives, but a pg who looks out for the whole team is needed to take charge on the floor. JJ is not to be faulted. He is a very good player and very exciting. The Cats need glue as CJ was showing before his injury and due to past history, he may never dress again. No inside info, but he is hurt. Maybe JJ can do that, but his NBA future is doing what he excells at now. We have a star. Let him be that star. We need a floor leader too.
        Last edited by leo from jersey; 01-07-2024, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• What about using Lukosius at the point some in games? He is second in assists behind Thomas. Thomas is averaging 3 assists/game and Lukosius averages about 2.7 assists/game. Also, Lukosius does not turn the ball over as much. Just a thought.

Comment

• Jizzle will be the PG. He puts pressure on a defense with his ability to score, which creates opportunities for others, and his ability to pass to open teammates is getting better and better. He has played only one tough conference game, by tournament time he’ll be the best player on the team, certainly with the most natural ability. We need to calm down here.
            Last edited by longtimefan; 01-08-2024, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
              Jizzle will be the PG. He puts pressure on a defense with his ability to score, which creates opportunities for others, and his ability to pass to open teammates is getting better and better. He has played only one tough conference game, by tournament time he’ll be the best player on the team, certainly with the most natural ability. We need to calm down here.
              would love for that to happen, but we need a leader now to get to the tourney. The BIG 12 has better defensive teams than BYU and the pressure will come.

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...et-auburn-rise
                Win of the Week: Cincinnati Bearcats 71, BYU Cougars 60

While BYU was getting more notoriety as a mystery team entering conference play, Cincinnati sort of fell in the same bucket. The Bearcats were 11-2 to end nonconference play, with losses to in-state rivals Xavier and Dayton. They hadn't beaten a top-100 KenPom team yet this season. Meanwhile, BYU was 12-1 with wins over San Diego State and NC State and a loss to Utah.

But it's Cincinnati coming out of the weekend with a little more buzz in the Big 12, after the Bearcats went into Provo and knocked off BYU by 11. The Cougars led for most of the first half and were up by 10 early in the second half. After that, it was all Cincinnati. The Bearcats were dialed in defensively, holding BYU to its worst offensive performance of the season by a wide margin. Mark Pope's team made just four of its final 22 3-point attempts, and Cincinnati dominated around the rim, outscoring BYU in the paint 30-12. Viktor Lakhin (17 points) led the way, but Jizzle James (12 points) provided a real spark off the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...et-auburn-rise
                  Win of the Week: Cincinnati Bearcats 71, BYU Cougars 60

While BYU was getting more notoriety as a mystery team entering conference play, Cincinnati sort of fell in the same bucket. The Bearcats were 11-2 to end nonconference play, with losses to in-state rivals Xavier and Dayton. They hadn't beaten a top-100 KenPom team yet this season. Meanwhile, BYU was 12-1 with wins over San Diego State and NC State and a loss to Utah.

But it's Cincinnati coming out of the weekend with a little more buzz in the Big 12, after the Bearcats went into Provo and knocked off BYU by 11. The Cougars led for most of the first half and were up by 10 early in the second half. After that, it was all Cincinnati. The Bearcats were dialed in defensively, holding BYU to its worst offensive performance of the season by a wide margin. Mark Pope's team made just four of its final 22 3-point attempts, and Cincinnati dominated around the rim, outscoring BYU in the paint 30-12. Viktor Lakhin (17 points) led the way, but Jizzle James (12 points) provided a real spark off the bench.
                  Welcome to the BIG 12 BYU.

Comment

• I've probably been harder on Miller than probably anyone, especially this year, and so I just want want to share that I was/am impressed with this first victory of the B12 era, and trying to not get too high compared to the lows I felt after the X & Dayton losses. I sincerely hope that the light switch clicked on for these young ball players and on the importance of playing defense and to playing the entire game, both halves hard. Hoping for victory #2, Tues., go 'cats.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

They both showed promise right away. KMART with his shot blocking and Logan with his shooting. That is why they were recruited and they developed into more. JJ was recruited for the point and he is a very good off guard with a great future. Therefore, for the Cats to take a major step, they need a floor leader. Let JJ create and do his drives, but a pg who looks out for the whole team is needed to take charge on the floor. JJ is not to be faulted. He is a very good player and very exciting. The Cats need glue as CJ was showing before his injury and due to past history, he may never dress again. No inside info, but he is hurt. Maybe JJ can do that, but his NBA future is doing what he excells at now. We have a star. Let him be that star. We need a floor leader too.
                      Through the first fourteen games, James' numbers are similar to Logan. I'm not saying he will be the reincarnation of Steve Logan, I'm saying give him a chance.

Here are game averages for comparison:

Freshman
                      Logan 21 MP - 2.2 AST - 1.5 REB - 9 PTS
                      Martin 11 MP - 4 REB - 1 BLK- 3 PTS
                      James 18 MP - 2.4 AST - 2 REB - 9 PTS

Senior
                      Logan 34 MP - 5 AST - 5 AST - 22 PTS
                      Martin 31 MP - 9 REB - 4 BLK - 19 PTS
                      James ???

Comment

• I understand but I wrote they showed promise for the position they were recruited for. It has not been a whole season for JJ and much harder defenses he has to face. My post said while he was recruited for a pg he is a budding star at the off-guard/ We need a floor leader to get the rest of the guys under control during the games and show leadership. CJ was doing it to a degree, but a true pg is needed. I am not putting down JJ as he has a very bright future, but now we need a pg. Also if you look at Logan and KMart they were not expected to carry the load at their positions their freshmen year as you are expecting JJ to be a true floor leader. It is not a fair comparison. He isn't as of now. I hope he becomes a great one, but I see him as a very dynamic playmaker at the off and thus the need for a true floor leader. I may change my mind as the season goes on, but as for now, I see a need for an experienced floor leader and coach on the court. KMART wasn't expected to carry the load as Danny Fortson was on the team KMART's freshman year. Logan freshman year they had Melvin Levett and Michael Horton primary at guard. It isn't a case of development, but what is needed this season. I hope you can understand what I am saying. Reuben Patterson, Darnell Burton and Damon Flint were also on KMART's team his frosh year. KMART was second in rebounds and that is why he was recruited. The scoring came later, but his frosh year he accomplished what he was recruited for. That being, come off the bench and rebound. I am speaking that now or specifically tomorrow, the Cats need a floor leader versus Texas. JJ is gravy and is a good player, but not so much as the floor leader. If the Cats get one -- look out.
                        Last edited by leo from jersey; 01-08-2024, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• I also believed they expected Dayday to be better in certain areas and to bring JJ in slower. His ability changed those plans. As I said, I believe he will be a UC great if he stays.

Comment

• ESPN picked this as the win of the week.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X