Oklahoma 1/20 1:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma 1/20 1:00 ESPN+

Oklahoma comes to town for what's probably their only journey to UC in the forseeable future. The Sooners are ranked #15 and stand at 2-2 in conference and 14-3 overall. They've lost their last two road contests to TCU and Kansas. I mentioned in another thread that I thought they were better than I expected so far this season despite the 2-2 record.

How these games against ranked teams keep getting buried on ESPN+, I don't quite get but at least we didn't beat Texas on LHN like UCF did last night. I'm sure almost no one saw that game.

Anyway, most of the scoring comes from the backcourt with OU. Javian McCollum leads the team in scoring and Otega Oweh is right behind him. They top out at 6'11 but 6'10 regulars Sam Godwin and former UC recruit John Hugley IV split time at one one forward spot. The bulk of the rebounding comes from the other forward Jalon Moore, and Godwin. Hugley IV might give us some issues in the post at 275 lbs. I'm not sure outside of Reynolds that any of our post guys can bang down low with him. They only go about 8 deep.

From a tale of the tape point of view, OU and UC are pretty close to one another across the board. Our guards will have to defend well as they have about 5 guys at that position who can score.

Kenpom 28
    Torvik 25
    NET 26

This is a pretty even game but I'm not confident in Oklahoma beating us on the road based on their previous road games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/201

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

YouTube fun

- Ending of UC's December 2011 win over Oklahoma at US Bank Arena, courtesy of Cashmere Wright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH-87LRrGY
    - December 1999 SportsCenter highlights (from a young Trey Wingo) of the Kenyon Martin-led #4 ranked Bearcats winning by 15 over the Eduardo Najera-led #21 Sooners in Norman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLLL-CeVEOc

Comment

In looking at the Sooners' stats, they have a few guys who really can shoot from outside. McCollum: 45.9% on high volume; Oweh 15/25 (60.0%); Moore 10/25 (40.0%)*; Hugley 8/22 (36.4%). Their second most prolific shooter from the arc is Darthard, but he isn't quite as accurate (31.6%).

The Sooners also shoot well from the line (75.7% on about 20 FT/g). Don't foul McCollum (36/39: 92.3%). Moore and Hugley also are competent (79.5% & 78.4%, respectively).

On a side note, I was one of the "almost no one(s)" who saw UCF take down the Longhorns. The LHN (& SECN) are available via ESPN+.

*I included these last two percentages for those who said, "I thought there'd be no math here."

Comment

Game is a SELL OUT

Comment

How awesome is this first season in the B12 so far! I’ve
          really enjoyed the defensive growth over the last few
          games.

Comment

Every game is a battle! Go Bearcats!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
              Game is a SELL OUT
              The announcers of the TCU game mentioned at one point that they personally had never experienced a venue as loud as 5/3 rd was that night. I hope it is rocking even more so against these Sooners. Coming in a #19 it would be great if we can get them disoriented with all the noise. Go 'cats beat them Sooners.

Comment

UC preview of sorts https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/1/1...homestand.aspx

Eric Rothman and Tim Welsh on the ESPN+ TV call. Feel like Welsh used to do a bunch of UC's Big East games (or maybe early AAC).

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                  How awesome is this first season in the B12 so far! I’ve
                  really enjoyed the defensive growth over the last few
                  games.
                  Not sure if the improved defense would've helped against UD, but pretty sure it would've help turn the other loss into a win. I love the movement and activity, tip balls, physicality.

Beat Oklahoma!!
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Script Cincinnati 70s throwbacks https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsMBB/st...57836378509609
                    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 01-19-2024, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Oklahoma at Cincinnati (-4.5)
                      1 p.m., ESPN Plus

Seth Davis: Cincinnati hasn’t played in the NCAA tournament since 2019, but the way the Bearcats have been playing of late, they could be on their way. They scored a huge road win at BYU on Jan. 6, and after close losses to Texas (home) and Baylor (road) by a total of four points, Wes Miller’s group erased a nine-point second-half deficit at home to knock off TCU, 81-77, in overtime on Tuesday. The Bearcats are using the program’s long-time staples, defense and rebounding, to forge their identity. Oklahoma is having a solid season and is coming off a 77-63 home win over West Virginia. But the Sooners have only played two road games this season, against TCU and Kansas, and they lost them both. Cincinnati (-4.5)

Jeff Goodman: I’m going with the fact that this one comes down to a final possession. Oklahoma (+4.5)

Comment

This didn't get promoted all that well from what I saw.

Following the men's basketball game, Cincinnati women's basketball will face the West Virginia Mountaineers at 4 p.m. for Cincinnati Zoo Day. Fans are welcome to enjoy animals on the concourse, enter to win a trip to the Cincinnati Zoo, and receive a special promotional poster.
                        Those who have purchased a ticket for the men's game can claim a FREE ticket to the women's basketball game!
                        Visit the ticket office located on the east side of Fifth Third Arena during the men's game before halftime to pick up your ticket. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Would be huge to have back to back Top 25 Wins....

UC: 74
                          OK: 71

Comment

I like your optimism BearKatz. It would definitely make a profound statement if we could pull it off. Go 'cats. I'm hoping this defense holds the Sooners to under 70 pts.

Comment

OU appears to be very quick

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X