No announcement yet.

Iowa St. 2/13 7:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=longtimefan;n411662]How about starting a game with our best players on the floor. Try to get an early lead for a change.

I would like to see Skillings start, for his energy and rebounding but I prefer Aziz over Reynolds but, at the end of the day, it's CWM's decision. This team does play hard, just too many turnovers

Comment

• I was upset earlier tonight, and said some things that were more emotional than rational. This team in last year’s AAC would be more like 20-4 by now.

Comment

• This was only the second time this season that our offense let us down, with the loss at Baylor being the first. We only put up 0.88 points per possession, by far our lowest output of the season. It's hard to win a basketball game against anyone when you turn it over more than one of every three possessions. But we were also very inefficient from the field, converting only 10 of 27 shots inside the arc. Good three point shooting is the only thing that kept us in the game.

Defensively we did ok, holding Iowa St to 1.02 points per possession. We shut down Gilbert and Momcilovic, and did a decent job on Lipsey. None of those guys were very efficient. But we got beat by Curtis Jones on the wing and Robert Jones inside.

Player of the game was Skillings by a mile. He had 8 net points and a whopping 19 box plus minus, both far better than anyone on either team. He filled up the stat sheet with 11 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and zero turnovers to go with his 13 points. Jizzle and Simas were the only other players contributing positive net points. Day Day and Aziz killed us, combining for negative 10 net points, essentially accounting for the final scoring margin. They had 10 turnovers and zero assists between them.

Like others here, I think we need to change our starting lineup. It's imperative to get guys who can create offense out there. Whatever Vik's issue is, he is not contributing anything on the offensive end right now, and Aziz is strictly a receiving scorer. Skillings and Jamille can create their own offense. I think those two need to be the starting frontcourt. Jizzle, Newman, Simas, Skillings, and Jamille led the team in minutes tonight, so we may be headed that way. We're getting torched right now with Aziz and Vik out there together. We scored only 2 points in the 4 minute segments to start each half, and both baskets were midrange jumpers by our PGs. We got nothing offensively from our starting 5 man unit.
        Last edited by sedz; 02-14-2024, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
          This Cincinnati team, including the coaches, has one BIG PROBLEM. It DOES NOT know how to win. Also, the coaching staff DOES NOT appear to be looking for different paths to winning. We have all seen this SAME approach for three years now. Guess what, we are seeing the SAME results. The losses are stacking up. This is going to be ANOTHER double-digit loss season. Just like the other two. Ten or more losses a season may go on for a while. Get use to it.

Before a team can win, it must first HAVE TO LEARN HOW NOT TO LOSE.
          For comparison, let's look at UK. They are currently at 17-7 in the SEC which is not as competitive from top to bottom as the Big 12. They are also loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits including a few McDonald's all Americans. All things considered, I think UC is doing OK. I do agree that this team needs a winning mentality, which they will need to close out games.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            Wes was pretty upset in the postgame when Terry questioned him about Vik, and was very defensive about his player. Indirectly he defended Day Day when Terry mentioned Jizzle. Wes seems very loyal to his guys, that’s who he is.
            He defended him after the last game too, but still he failed to score last night. We must get past CWM's words and see that VIK was on the bench the last half of the second half. Old timer said 2 PGs who don't understand their role. Agreed- Yes they are better off guards, but UC doesn't have a replacement - Yet hopefully.
            Last edited by leo from jersey; 02-14-2024, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• In my humble opinion we just do not have the talent to stay with these ranked teams. We have bigs that don't rebound or make shots, we have no one that can consistently make baskets when we need them, we never take the 10-15 ft jump shots that have much higher % of being made & our coaches can't seem to make adjustments to get us wins. This is my observation not trying to insult anyone. I cincerely hope we
              can get better & be more competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                In my humble opinion we just do not have the talent to stay with these ranked teams. We have bigs that don't rebound or make shots, we have no one that can consistently make baskets when we need them, we never take the 10-15 ft jump shots that have much higher % of being made & our coaches can't seem to make adjustments to get us wins. This is my observation not trying to insult anyone. I cincerely hope we
                can get better & be more competitive.
                Last night it was shown that our pgs don't see the floor. They go into areas where they are quickly trapped and throw the ball away. It is on them. Now they would be great moving around and shooting, but they will need a floor leader to bring up the ball and direct traffic. I realize they played against a very good defense, but their weakness in knowing what to do with the ball besides shooting or lobbing was exposed big time last night. Sadly, we will see more of that. I think both will be good players, but a floor leader is vital for victory. CWM needs to find one or spend all off season developing one.

Comment

• After a night of reflection, I have to tip my cap to the Iowa State defense. Yes, our guys made bad passes, ill-advised decisions, etc... the typical stuff that leads to 10-12 turnovers every game, but ISU truly forced us into errors and turnovers. Thier defenses harassed us, and other teams like none I'v seen in a long time. I cannot recall any of our older teams being that effective from the early Huggs days and through the Mick years. The really frustrating part is we were still in the game. Even in a game of runs, if we staunch the flow of the 11-0 run at end of the first half and their run-up to a 15 point lead early in the second half, we are in a position to win. While Lahkin was ineffective last night, he had several hustle plays and I hope he figures it out soon. Day Day isn't a bad point guard, Jizzle is just maturing and going to reach a higher potential. The team didn't quit. They played hard to the end, but ISU stopped us more than we stopped them. I think we win that game 3 times in ten, and l think this team has held it's head high in our inaugural Big 12 year.

Saturday against UCF has become a must win game to keep our NIT chance alive. IT isn't a completely closed door on the NCAA, but it would take a lot of wins down the stretch or win the Big 12 tourney; however, lose games we are supposed to win and the NIT could slip away. This team has the talent to compete, but not consistently beat the Big 12 teams. I wanted more for the season, but realistically we are meeting or slightly exceeding expectations at this point.

In closing, I want to say congrats to ISU. They play with an intensity and energy we should have. It isn't often that we will get "outmuscled", but getting out hustled was painful.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

I'm sorry but this statement is ludicrous at best. No explanation needed.
                    CWM is not committed to playing his best players. Getting all defensive when Terry asks him about the elephant in the room is silly. They’re not going to the tournament. Simas does nothing but shoot, and he doesn’t do that well. He adds very little. Last night he was -9. Skillings was +6. Saturday against Houston Jizzle was +10, DayDay was -19!!!! -19 in a five point game??? That’s what I mean by he’s committed to losing because he’s not committed to playing the best players. I love Coach Miller’s passion, and he is a far better recruiter than Mick Cronin ever was. But he sucks as a bench coach. Losing so many games is coaching.
                    My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                      After a night of reflection, I have to tip my cap to the Iowa State defense. Yes, our guys made bad passes, ill-advised decisions, etc... the typical stuff that leads to 10-12 turnovers every game, but ISU truly forced us into errors and turnovers. Thier defenses harassed us, and other teams like none I'v seen in a long time. I cannot recall any of our older teams being that effective from the early Huggs days and through the Mick years. The really frustrating part is we were still in the game. Even in a game of runs, if we staunch the flow of the 11-0 run at end of the first half and their run-up to a 15 point lead early in the second half, we are in a position to win. While Lahkin was ineffective last night, he had several hustle plays and I hope he figures it out soon. Day Day isn't a bad point guard, Jizzle is just maturing and going to reach a higher potential. The team didn't quit. They played hard to the end, but ISU stopped us more than we stopped them. I think we win that game 3 times in ten, and l think this team has held it's head high in our inaugural Big 12 year.

Saturday against UCF has become a must win game to keep our NIT chance alive. IT isn't a completely closed door on the NCAA, but it would take a lot of wins down the stretch or win the Big 12 tourney; however, lose games we are supposed to win and the NIT could slip away. This team has the talent to compete, but not consistently beat the Big 12 teams. I wanted more for the season, but realistically we are meeting or slightly exceeding expectations at this point.

In closing, I want to say congrats to ISU. They play with an intensity and energy we should have. It isn't often that we will get "outmuscled", but getting out hustled was painful.
                      My friend our guards played into their game plan. ISU has a different opinion of the guards then you do and planned for their limitations. It worked. That is part of being a good defense. Seeing a team's weakness and exposing it. We saw that last night and can agree it was great defense. It was what won the game. Vik has been ineffective for many games now. It has come down to CWM giving him a chance and when he is clumsy and confused on the floor, he takes a seat. Only 9 minutes in a game where scoring was needed speaks volumes. ISU played with intensity and intelligence. I am not trying to insult you or the team, but that is what I saw on the floor. I am sure that the BIG 12 coaches see it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

CWM is not committed to playing his best players. Getting all defensive when Terry asks him about the elephant in the room is silly. They’re not going to the tournament. Simas does nothing but shoot, and he doesn’t do that well. He adds very little. Last night he was -9. Skillings was +6. Saturday against Houston Jizzle was +10, DayDay was -19!!!! -19 in a five point game??? That’s what I mean by he’s committed to losing because he’s not committed to playing the best players. I love Coach Miller’s passion, and he is a far better recruiter than Mick Cronin ever was. But he sucks as a bench coach. Losing so many games is coaching.
                        Are his assistants wise or just good recruiters. Will CWM listen to them in the games. I see them talking to them at times, but hurriedly at best? I will say 9 minutes for VIk last night shows some regard for playing the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

I had to stay away from the forum for last night and not post in a fit of frustration and anger. I agree Miller has to start his best 5 and quit with the ceremony of Vik in the starting lineup and these endless rotations regardless of who has it that night or not. I know he likes the spark of Skillings coming off the bench but by that time we are usually in a hole and fighting to get back in game. Then it's an uphill struggle all game.

I also agree that Miller is a better recruiter than Mick but so far his bench skillls appear to be lacking. He said in the post game that the loss is on him and his staff. I agree they need to do a better job of preparing for what other teams do. This is the second game in a row when he's said postgame that you can't simulate the defense that these teams throw at you. Well guess what ? UCF is going to do the same thing Saturday until you prove you can beat it. I watched UCF harass BYU last night and I don't feel good at all about our ability to stop the bleeding. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                            In my humble opinion we just do not have the talent to stay with these ranked teams.
                            Well, the good news is 5-6 of the remaining 7 games are against unranked opponents...

Comment

• A few things from last night:

Obviously too many turnovers. You can't have 11 turnovers plus shot clock violations that originate at the PG position. Somebody needs to do the football thing and make them carry a basketball around campus and never lose possession of it. (only sort of kidding). I know our PGs don't have a ton of experieince at this level but that was a mess.

We tend to emerge from the locker room very flat regardless of the opponent. I'm not sure who's giving the pregame hype speech but something needs to change in in our pregame prep. We're lucky Iowa St couldn't find the hoop in the first 10:00 or so otherwise we would have been buried much earlier.

Adjustments need to be made. By that I mean coaching adjustments. When the defense is taking you out of your primary offense and you can't cut and screen, change something. Little or no ball movement on offense in the first half last night. Seems like a drill where you put 3 guys on the ball and practice against a half court trapping defense would have helped a lot. Maybe they couldn't simulate it well in practice? If there's a trap in the corner or the post, someone's open. You know it's coming, so get rid of it before the trap happens.

Starting front court went 0-6 from the field for the game and managed 3 pts at the line. Someone pointed out earlier that the offense flowed better when was Vik was involved in the high and low post, before Aziz and Jamille were eligible and you can definitely see that. I love Aziz's defense but he's a dead spot on offense against good defenders. Thankfully he rebounds pretty well.

How do you go 0-4 on lob attemps in the first half and keep throwing them? It made it to 0-7 before we got something out of it. I understand you're trying to throw over the defense but if it's not there don't throw that anymore. I'd guess everyone of those missed lobs was a turnover or close to it.

Refs totally bungled that last second heave by Paveletzke. Duded hopped twice and changed pivot feet and then launched a prayer. No call. They can't review the travel portion of that call but blatant miss by the stripes.

Bright spots:

Jizzle on offense. The team is better on offense with Jizzle in the game. 16 pts and 3 assists in 25 minutes last night.

Simas. Low shooting precentages against a good defense but he was the only guy in the starting lineup that was scoring and getting up shots.

Double Double for Dan. He continues to be very good off the bench. I can handle the inconsistency and occasional poor play if he's scoring and rebounding.

Nice to see CJ back on the floor and scoring even if that last second heave was after the buzzer. (Great shot though)

Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603474

Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Lobot re: Paveletzke and Fredrick ... funny how our miracle shot doesn't count (because clearly late, of course) but Paveletzke continues the trend of UC opponents hitting really difficult shots late in the clock. It was 27-24 then (so 29-24 after that) as part of an 11-0 run. You'd like to think a stop there could have helped, though who knows if it would have mattered with the turnover issues.

Prior to Paveletzke's miracle shot, Aziz missed two free throws which was as good as a turnover.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X