No announcement yet.

Central Florida 2/17 4:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted earlier in the night about the homer needed to shut up. I also didn't like his saying if UC could keep JJ next year. It seems like the pressure and poaching has started

Comment

• Since this game was played in JJ's back yard so to speak it seems more than a coincidence that these homers would have information, or lack of it and just insinuation, but I would think that would be bordering on tampering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        Since this game was played in JJ's back yard so to speak it seems more than a coincidence that these homers would have information, or lack of it and just insinuation, but I would think that would be bordering on tampering.
        Hard to prove --- but you know it has begun. The announcers kept on talking about one-year teams. Yes, I can see that with the portal, but they sure spoke of JJ's local connections. I realize that would be true of most playing in their hometown though. The thought I have is with JJ plays with excitement, the NIL will be out there. I just wonder if better schools in Florida will offer. Now where did his Dad go to school? I am just speculating, and I truly hope he stays at UC. The thing is you just never know, but his dad appears to be monitoring JJ closely, so no wild hare moves. Recruiting has become a continual thing sadly. I thought it was bad when my favorites left early for the NBA and you lost following careers at UC. Now it has gotten worse.
        Last edited by leo from jersey; 02-18-2024, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Hard to prove --- but you know it has begun. The announcers kept on talking about one-year teams. Yes, I can see that with the portal, but they sure spoke of JJ's local connections. I realize that would be true of most playing in their hometown though. The thought I have is with JJ plays with excitement, the NIL will be out there. I just wonder if better schools in Florida will offer. Now where did his Dad go to school? I am just speculating, and I truly hope he stays at UC. The thing is you just never know, but his dad appears to be monitoring JJ closely, so no wild hare moves. Recruiting has become a continual thing sadly. I thought it was bad when my favorites left early for the NBA and you lost following careers at UC. Now it has gotten worse.
          Edgerrin James (Sr) played for The U.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Yes he did 3rd all time rusher.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

They have a large NIL. They bought the top rb commit of tOSU the last 2 years. They bough the top interior d-lineman away from tOSU this year. That is one thing that motivated tOSU to go big on the NIL. They have plenty of money to buy.

Comment

• The UCF game was a weird game. If you look at the major offensive stats, it looks like maybe UC lost. However, UC led in 2nd chance points 12 to 8 and also led in points off turnovers 19 to 14. The offensive rebounding paid off and it appears that UC played just enough defense, WHEN IT HAD TO, to win the game. Aziz played a good game around the rim. Aziz, Reynolds, Skillings, and Newman kept UCF off the boards. However, UC got away with one yesterday when Aziz was pump-faked and jumped into the shooter at the end of the game. That looked like a foul. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

There is one thing that bothers me about this team (oh no, here he goes again). This UC team cannot hold a lead when it gets one (which is not all that often). They were up by 14 points about mid-way through the 2nd half of the UCF game and found a way to give the points back. Remember West Virginia? What about the Houston game? This UC team does NOT have any player enforcers on the team. You know, guys that will get in your face and let you know when you are screwing the game up. I have played on championship teams (baseball) in high school and college and the one thing that those teams had in common was players that regulated the other players. They made sure that everyone was putting forth 100% effort in practice, everyone stayed focused, and if you were NOT doing what you were supposed be doing, they got in your face and challenged you to do better. I do NOT see anything like that with this team. In fact, the last regulator type of player that I saw in the program was Cumberland (Brannen's first team). From personal experience, I have observed that teams function at higher levels when players hold each other accountable. It has to be done by players that are well respected on the team. Usually your older guys, or guys that have been in the program the longest, take on the enforcer roles. Of the three guys that have been in the program the longest, Lakhin, Newman, and Oguama, only Newman is better suited to take on the enforcer role because he is the team's toughest defender. Lakhin does not have the personality and Oguama does not play.

With past teams, guys like Dan Fortson, Art Long, Kenyon Martin, Steve Logan (probably best of the player regulators), Cumberland, Troy Caupain, Justin Jackson, etc. performed that role. The Iowa State game is a perfect example. The point guards committed 11 turnovers among themselves, along with everyone else that committed a turnover, and NOT one person, player or coach, got in their faces to challenge them to do better. If Fortson or Long were on the team, Thomas and James may have had to do a lot of explaining in the locker room.

I like this UC team. It has some very important games coming up. UC is probably going to have to win 20 games to make the NCAA Tourney. There are some good winnable games left. Let's face, in order to win, this team MUST be able to hold on to leads when they get them, especially late in games. That is the honest-to-God-truth. Good win yesterday.
                Last edited by leeraymond; 02-18-2024, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Before we move on. Yesterday's victory was great.

Comment

• Leeraymond, your are absolutely correct. We need a floor general / team leader. This has been brought to the attention of us here on the forum often. There is no one on this team that will volunteer or own up to the challenge. I think this is an oversight on CWM's part, as I don't recall him ever designating a "captain" but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Rufus; 02-18-2024, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      Leeraymond, your are absolutely correct. We need a floor general / team leader. This has been brought to the attention of us here on the forum often. There is no one on this team that will volunteer or own up to the challenge. I think this is an oversight on CWM's part, as I don't recall him ever designating a "captain" but I could be wrong.

Double edge sword - who has earned the right to be captain or perhaps if one was appointed, they would mature into that role.

Comment

• This is true Leo

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X