• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Won't know until March
    Good point

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
      Aside from a small number of Blue Bloods, almost no P5 schools go through a gauntlet in the OOC portion. Such P5-P5 matchups are heavily influenced by the TV networks. A school can contact them, but if ESPN, etc., don't want you, you have to find someone else to play. Until UC gets back into the limelight by winning big consistently, such media matchups will be few and far between.

In UC's case, the B12 schedule will be plenty tough and chock full of Q1/Q2 opportunities.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't go to games to watch the opposition. I'll be at 5th/3rd regardless of the other team.
      What about challenging the team with playing middle-to-lower Power 5s such as Penn State, Minnesota, Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Georgia, etc. Penn State, Minnesota, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt are regional bus rides away. These are Power 5 schools that will challenge UC and are winnable games. Every school plays a few cupcakes. However, the serious schools play a more serious non-conference schedule. It is time for UC basketball to get serious with its non-conference schedule.

Comment

Here is some food for thought for the UC schedule deniers. This post may rub some die-hard UC fans the wrong way, but I am JUST stating the facts. Check out Xavier's upcoming non-conference schedule. Xavier plays 5 (five) Power 5 schools during the non-conference (Wake Forest, either Michigan, South Carolina, or Virginia Tech (X plays 2 of the 3 in a tournament format), TCU (BIG 12 / BIG EAST), and Cincinnati). In fact, X plays 4 (four) Power 5 teams before they play Cincinnati. You read into this post what you want. Those are the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
          Here is some food for thought for the UC schedule deniers. This post may rub some die-hard UC fans the wrong way, but I am JUST stating the facts. Check out Xavier's upcoming non-conference schedule. Xavier plays 5 (five) Power 5 schools during the non-conference (Wake Forest, either Michigan, South Carolina, or Virginia Tech (X plays 2 of the 3 in a tournament format), TCU (BIG 12 / BIG EAST), and Cincinnati). In fact, X plays 4 (four) Power 5 teams before they play Cincinnati. You read into this post what you want. Those are the facts.
          Xavier always plays in a legit MTE. UC hasn’t played in one since Maui. That’s the difference in the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4;n417413[B
            ][/B]Aside from a small number of Blue Bloods, almost no P5 schools go through a gauntlet in the OOC portion. Such P5-P5 matchups are heavily influenced by the TV networks. A school can contact them, but if ESPN, etc., don't want you, you have to find someone else to play. Until UC gets back into the limelight by winning big consistently, such media matchups will be few and far between.

In UC's case, the B12 schedule will be plenty tough and chock full of Q1/Q2 opportunities.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't go to games to watch the opposition. I'll be at 5th/3rd regardless of the other team.
            In my opinion, the only schools that really benefit from "gauntlet-like" OOC schedules are 1) very good Mid-Major teams that need to compensate for weaker conference schedules and 2) national title contenders.

Comment

Just for comparison's sake, here's Houston OOC.

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/1820535794018509108
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Re: upcoming opponent Howard

Howard not vetted Blakeney's plan to sell stake in hoops program
                https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-hoops-program

Howard University leadership has not yet vetted men's basketball coach Kenny Blakeney's proposal to sell a one-third stake in his program in exchange for $100 million, the school told ESPN in a statement on Tuesday.

The Washington Post reported last week that Blakeney met with a private equity firm in June and spoke with potential investors in July, with the end goal of preventing Howard's men's basketball program from getting "left behind" in the ever-changing college sports landscape.

In a statement provided to ESPN on Tuesday, Howard athletic director Kery Davis said Blakeney's plans "reflect his own personal ideas and have not been vetted by University leadership."

Comment

Originally posted by gobearcats31 View Post
                  re: Upcoming opponent howard

howard not vetted blakeney's plan to sell stake in hoops program
                  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-hoops-program

howard university leadership has not yet vetted men's basketball coach kenny blakeney's proposal to sell a one-third stake in his program in exchange for $100 million, the school told espn in a statement on tuesday.

the washington post reported last week that blakeney met with a private equity firm in june and spoke with potential investors in july, with the end goal of preventing howard's men's basketball program from getting "left behind" in the ever-changing college sports landscape.

In a statement provided to espn on tuesday, howard athletic director kery davis said blakeney's plans "reflect his own personal ideas and have not been vetted by university leadership."
                  .....wtaf.....
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

sounds like coach blakeney may not be long for bison world

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.H. View Post
                      sounds like coach blakeney may not be long for bison world
                      Either canned or contract for life. This is a brilliant idea, but I gotta think there is going to be a point of diminishing returns. If a portion of the program revenue goes to investors, then the revenue would need to jump significantly to maintain money available for player NIL/salries, and also to maintain the arena. Other schools and conferences are looking at private equity firms.
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Either canned or contract for life. This is a brilliant idea, but I gotta think there is going to be a point of diminishing returns. If a portion of the program revenue goes to investors, then the revenue would need to jump significantly to maintain money available for player NIL/salries, and also to maintain the arena. Other schools and conferences are looking at private equity firms.
                        He's on the right track tbh, but you really need to run stuff like that by your superiors. I'll be really surprised if they don't can him for that. He did an end run around the administration.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

that was my point - a big step / concept to even consider on your own

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.H. View Post
                            that was my point - a big step / concept to even consider on your own
                            I would hope the AD and superiors were aware, and the next steps are review/approve by the Board or appropriate signatory. I hadn't considered no superiors were not even aware
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              The GT game in Atlanta is scheduled for Nov 24.
                              GT has announced as Saturday, 11/23 https://ramblinwreck.com/mens-basket...hedule-082024/

Comment

The entire UC Non-Con is now out.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/8/2...announced.aspx
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X