NCAA Tourney Expansion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Tourney Expansion

The Field of 68 may grow to 72 or 76 as soon as 2025.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-nca...214628269.html
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I don't get this. Everyone basically makes the ncaa tournament with the automatic bids from conference tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.kenneth noisewater View Post
      I don't get this. Everyone basically makes the ncaa tournament with the automatic bids from conference tournaments.
      Follow the money.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Follow the money.
        With required NIL and direct pay to athletes, as well as the forthcoming backpay from the House case, the NCAA and member schools will need more cash. Not only that, but the power conferences are pushing for allowing more teams into The Dance. There are more schools in each now, and additional tourney participation means more cash to spread around to conference members.

This also will allow more coaches to keep their jobs, as it will be easier to get in, as well as provide whatever bonus money is in their contracts. [On the flip side, though, it probably will lead to more firings at the lower levels of conferences, since they failed to make the larger, "easier" field.]

Comment

My guess is where this will end up eventually. 96 teams. All automatic qualifiers get a first round bye. Then 32 playin games to get the field to 64. After that business as usual.
          Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            My guess is where this will end up eventually. 96 teams. All automatic qualifiers get a first round bye. Then 32 playin games to get the field to 64. After that business as usual.
            I doubt that the AQ's from the one-bid leagues would get byes, unless a few of them are exceptional, which isn't that common. The MEAC, SWAC, Patriot champs, for instance, would be #23-24 seeds in most years. The committee would just slide in non-AQ's from the stronger conferences, as they do now. The committee presently allows for Houston and IA State both to be high seeds. I don't see that changing.

If the tourney eventually did expand to 96 teams, there would be seven rounds, with the first four days full-up with 16 games per day (Tuesday through Friday, for instance).

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I doubt that the AQ's from the one-bid leagues would get byes, unless a few of them are exceptional, which isn't that common. The MEAC, SWAC, Patriot champs, for instance, would be #23-24 seeds in most years. The committee would just slide in non-AQ's from the stronger conferences, as they do now. The committee presently allows for Houston and IA State both to be high seeds. I don't see that changing.

If the tourney eventually did expand to 96 teams, there would be seven rounds, with the first four days full-up with 16 games per day (Tuesday through Friday, for instance).
              96 will happen if TV is interested. NCAA needs money, and if it’s there, they’ll take it.
              Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Follow the money.
                Yea I know

Comment

Believe or not, I have been thinking that the NCAA should add more schools to the NCAA Tourney for a long time. Look at it this way; there are 351 D-1 level schools that play basketball. If the NCAA increases the number of schools from 68 to 72 to participate in the tournament, that 72 represents the top 20.5 % of all D-1 schools that play basketball. To me, the top 20% is a good representative number. Also, if you divide that 72 over 4 regions, that equates to 18 seeds per region. That ain't bad. If the NCAA increases the number to 76 schools, that represents the top 21.6 % of all D-1 basketball schools. Once again, to me 72 is a good number.

Someone mentioned something about money. Of course, it always boils down to money. So do not be surprised, in the future sometime, if the NCAA increases the number of tournament schools up to 80 eventually for the sake of making more money. How much money is enough?

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
                    Believe or not, I have been thinking that the NCAA should add more schools to the NCAA Tourney for a long time. Look at it this way; there are 351 D-1 level schools that play basketball. If the NCAA increases the number of schools from 68 to 72 to participate in the tournament, that 72 represents the top 20.5 % of all D-1 schools that play basketball. To me, the top 20% is a good representative number. Also, if you divide that 72 over 4 regions, that equates to 18 seeds per region. That ain't bad. If the NCAA increases the number to 76 schools, that represents the top 21.6 % of all D-1 basketball schools. Once again, to me 72 is a good number.

Someone mentioned something about money. Of course, it always boils down to money. So do not be surprised, in the future sometime, if the NCAA increases the number of tournament schools up to 80 eventually for the sake of making more money. How much money is enough?
                    There actually are slightly more schools that played D1 basketball this past season (362). So, 72 still would be just a tick under 20%. Close enough for NCAA work (and a whole lot closer than for government work).

Comment

Yeah, I might be wrong about the number of D-1 schools. However, all of the sources of data that I looked at (including NCAA statistical rankings dated 4/24) listed 351 D-1 schools that play basketball. No argument here. By the way, where did you see that number? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
                        Yeah, I might be wrong about the number of D-1 schools. However, all of the sources of data that I looked at (including NCAA statistical rankings dated 4/24) listed 351 D-1 schools that play basketball. No argument here. By the way, where did you see that number? Just wondering.
                        Both KenPom and BartTorvik rate 362 teams, all of which are D1. Only 351 were eligible for the tourney, as the others were in transition from D2/D3. Four of those schools are now eligible (Bellarmine, Tarleton State, UC-San Diego, and UT Tech). The other seven will receive eligibility in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Both KenPom and BartTorvik rate 362 teams, all of which are D1. Only 351 were eligible for the tourney, as the others were in transition from D2/D3. Four of those schools are now eligible (Bellarmine, Tarleton State, UC-San Diego, and UT Tech). The other seven will receive eligibility in the near future.
                          Okay. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Exciting news for the 2026 postseason.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...s-i-ii-and-iii

Comment

Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
                              Exciting news for the 2026 postseason.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...s-i-ii-and-iii
                              April 2026 - Indianapolis

Thursday, April 2: NIT semifinals @ Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler)
                              Saturday, April 4: Final Four games @ Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts)
                              Sunday, April 5: DII and DIII championship games @ Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Pacers)
                              Sunday, April 5: NIT championship @ TBD
                              Monday, April 6: NCAA (DI) championship game @ Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts)

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X