No announcement yet.

BYU Close to Joining Conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love nothing more than to see one HUGE announcement by the end of the week to get this all over with. UCF, Boise, BYU, SMU, Houston. Then perhaps Air force and Navy may jump on board at same time later? If not we have Temple and/or Memphis as fall backs?

BYU and Boise as a package would be huge! Add in these up and coming teams and suddenly I am not quite as worried about AQ status anymore.

Comment

And from the DesNews (the LDS owned paper):

It was told to me that if it were up to (athletic director Tom Holmoe ) and (President Cecil O. Samuelson ), they would be in. But it's not. It really is up to whether the Board of Trustees give them the okay."

Former National Football League commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Notre Dame, Big East commissioner John Marinatto ... are lobbying hard for BYU to join the Big East.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ion-2-yet.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mtn_Cat View Post
        And from the DesNews (the LDS owned paper):

It was told to me that if it were up to (athletic director Tom Holmoe ) and (President Cecil O. Samuelson ), they would be in. But it's not. It really is up to whether the Board of Trustees give them the okay."

Former National Football League commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Notre Dame, Big East commissioner John Marinatto ... are lobbying hard for BYU to join the Big East.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ion-2-yet.html
        I wonder why ND is sticking their nose into this? What's their angle?

Though for once I'd like them to help us rather than hurt us (the Big East, that is)...

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
          I wonder why ND is sticking their nose into this? What's their angle?

Though for once I'd like them to help us rather than hurt us (the Big East, that is)...
          Their angle is very clear, they need the Big East to stay together so they can remain Independent in football and steal a Bowl Game dependent on our AQ status.
          Cpaw

Fortune Favors the Bold

Comment

With Gameday going to Houston this week it would be a great time for an announcement with a ton of publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
              With Gameday going to Houston this week it would be a great time for an announcement with a ton of publicity.
              Really good point

Comment

Originally posted by Cpaw View Post
                Their angle is very clear, they need the Big East to stay together so they can remain Independent in football and steal a Bowl Game dependent on our AQ status.
                Yes, and they love the idea of having a football aq conference to park all their non-football programs. A 12 team aq football that would no doubt leave them alone as far as pressure to add conference football games, but in which they could have all their other programs compete would, in their estimation, be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
                  ..... A 12 team aq football that would no doubt leave them alone as far as pressure to add conference football games, but in which they could have all their other programs compete would, in their estimation, be ideal.
                  And that SHOULD be a non-starter with the Big East (but for reasons known only to God is probably not). At the VERY LEAST, ND should be required to play each football league member home and home over some period of time.

Comment

BYU, Big East speculation continues to percolate

It's official that the two parties are talking. It's been reported the Big East has officially invited BYU to become a member of the BCS automatic qualifying conference, and it was projected by some that an official announcement would come last week, which never happened.

From all indications, BYU and the Big East have gone deep into the briefcase and filing cabinet to reach an agreement. But predicting a timeline is a fool's errand.

Anyone familiar with mistakes BYU made in handling the MWC television contract a dozen years ago when that league was founded will fully understand why, in negotiating with the Big 12 or Big East, BYU's legal team is deploying an electron microscope in examination of paperwork.

It is interesting to note, that in talking with half a dozen staff members of BYU's non-football sports, these coaches are very enamored with the West Coast Conference . They like the short travel west, they enjoy the competition and weather, and, if push comes to shove and they have to run out that WCC contract the next few years, it is just fine and dandy.
                    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...percolate.html

Comment

Problems with BYU

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...tball.html.csp

The league already has one prima donna.

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
                        http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...tball.html.csp

The league already has one prima donna.
                        Uh oh, reading this would lead you to believe that BYU may be backing off. They want to keep their sweet ESPN tv deal. That coupled with the possiblity that the BCS does away with AQ, makes it sound like BYU is probably a long shot now.

Comment

I think it's rather interesting that ESPN ran with the possibility of a radically changed BCS system as the Big East was closing in on a substantial addition to the leaague.

The longer this thing goes the worse the odds get. I say sign some schools and get a partner for Boise and get this thing done before they all back out.

Comment

Originally posted by waterhead View Post
                            I think it's rather interesting that ESPN ran with the possibility of a radically changed BCS system as the Big East was closing in on a substantial addition to the leaague.

The longer this thing goes the worse the odds get. I say sign some schools and get a partner for Boise and get this thing done before they all back out.
                            I think the longer this goes on, I'd be hesitant now for the Big East to just start signing schools just to get it done... at this point, I'm not sure ANYONE will have an AQ after the changed BCS system, so what's the point of adding a bunch of schools that aren't necessarily helping the tv contract or bowl affiliations (which if AQ status is lost, that's all that will matter)?

Comment

McMurphy now reporting unlikely that BYU joins because BCS wants to pull AQ status from conferences giving no incentive to be in the conference beyond 2013.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Conference USA 2.0. This entire situation is depressing.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X