• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation between WVU and BE

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012...ding-mediation
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

That picture of John Marinatto is everywhere on that site! Ha!

Comment

This was covered at the WVU Sues Big East thread.

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showpo...9&postcount=61
      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

West Virginia and Big East: Will Mediation Bring a Settlement?
        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...g-a-settlement

Big 12 and Big East in limbo waiting on WVU
        West Virginia is going to jump to the Big 12 in time for the next school year and then just suffer the consequences of that decision. Consequences that could end up costing the school quite a bit of money.

This is because even if there was a decision made in the courts on the case, the "losing" side would appeal the decision, and that appeal could take another couple of years to be settled. Another couple of years West Virginia isn't likely to sit around waiting for a decision on.
        http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...56338/34477726

Comment

Greg Swaim is reporting that the Big East and WVU have reached some sort of settlement. In the ballpark of $24 million. But with the BE owing them money I'm guessing the number will be less.

Swaim has been pretty accurate to date with the conference realignment and seems to have great sources within B12. I highly recommend following him on Twitter

I'm thinking they're gone within the next month...which brings about the question what in the world do we do about our schedule?

Comment

Use some of the buyout money to pay Houston's UCF's and SMU's exit fees from CUSA. Add the all sport schools, and maybe Boise. I don't think the MWC has a mandated date to notify the league a team is leading. This will give us

Cincinnati
            Syracuse
            UCONN
            South Florida
            Central Florida
            Pittsburgh
            Louisville
            Southern Methodist
            Rutgers
            Houston
            Boise State

for 2012

Comment

Originally posted by GoUC11 View Post
              Greg Swaim is reporting that the Big East and WVU have reached some sort of settlement. In the ballpark of $24 million. But with the BE owing them money I'm guessing the number will be less.

Swaim has been pretty accurate to date with the conference realignment and seems to have great sources within B12. I highly recommend following him on Twitter

I'm thinking they're gone within the next month...which brings about the question what in the world do we do about our schedule?
              I trust I'm misreading this. The two parties are sitting down in nonbinding arbitration - not court. I'm quite incredulous the Big East would agree to voluntarily pay WVU $24 million on top of letting them walk.

Please clarify because I'm certain this cannot possibly be the case.

Or, are you saying the settlement on WVU behalf is to pay the Big East $24 million but the conference owes WVU some nominal amount of coin so the net payment to the Big East will be $24 million minus whatever is owed to WVU?
              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion...The last part of your post is what I meant. I've read that the BE owes WVU money (totally separate money from realignment) and WVU's settlement total will be subtracted the money they are owed. So to break it down...

WVU Settlement payment to Big East for leaving early-Separate money owed to WVU from BE=Total amount of money WVU pays to Big East.

Again, I have no inside information of the validity of all of this. But Swaim who has been right on described this in a tweet a few days ago.

Comment

I am with others. Why does the Big East have to settle? I still dont see where WV can claim any damages so far. As of today, Big East has not lost AQ status, has not lost TV revenue etc.

If wv does just goes off and schedules B12 teams, Big East should sue B12 for contract intereference. Sue each B12 school that schedules WV. Each big east school should then sue WV, especially those that had home games this year. Prove the incremental revenue lost for WV violating contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                    I trust I'm misreading this. The two parties are sitting down in nonbinding arbitration
                    They are in court order MEDIATION. Mediation is non-binding - arbitration is binding to the parties.

Comment

Originally posted by raymo View Post
                      I am with others. Why does the Big East have to settle? I still dont see where WV can claim any damages so far. As of today, Big East has not lost AQ status, has not lost TV revenue etc.
                      Supposedly the driving force behind settling for as large an amount as the BE can extract is the 2012 football scheduling nightmare for all involved, including the remaining BE schools. Schedules normally are set several months in advance of the upcoming season. Potential OOC foes must be determined; contracts must be signed; ESPN and the other networks must know what they're going to be airing in exchange for their money; season ticket packages must be sold, the fees for which can vary, depending upon the strength of the opponent.

Most of the schools already have one FCS opponent scheduled. Last minute arrangements for final slots increase the likelihood that a second FCS school must be added. No one wants that. (Well, no one except Rutgers. )

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                        Supposedly the driving force behind settling for as large an amount as the BE can extract is the 2012 football scheduling nightmare for all involved, including the remaining BE schools. Schedules normally are set several months in advance of the upcoming season. Potential OOC foes must be determined; contracts must be signed; ESPN and the other networks must know what they're going to be airing in exchange for their money; season ticket packages must be sold, the fees for which can vary, depending upon the strength of the opponent.

Most of the schools already have one FCS opponent scheduled. Last minute arrangements for final slots increase the likelihood that a second FCS school must be added. No one wants that. (Well, no one except Rutgers. )
                        Screw E$PN! They are part of the problem.
                        RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                        CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                          Screw E$PN! They are part of the problem.
                          Perhaps, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that nothing gets done without them. They pay tons of cash to the conferences and schools, which aren't going to walk away from it. That may be an undesirable situation, but college sports are a business and a significant portion of the money comes from TV. And, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X