Is something going down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is something going down?

Big East Presidents ask commissioner to resign....

Two reasons:

A) Want someone to negotiate big TV deal and didnt think John was cutting it

B) More teams have left or decided not to join

Tommy G says President Williams is leading the search for the replacement, wow

Comment

The conference is in panic mode -- they're contemplating a future where their football schools are completely frozen out of legitimate bowl tie-ins and the money that goes along with it.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
        The conference is in panic mode -- they're contemplating a future where their football schools are completely frozen out of legitimate bowl tie-ins and the money that goes along with it.
        Can we please, please, puleeeeezzzzzze get a commissioner who knows something about college football!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
          Can we please, please, puleeeeezzzzzze get a commissioner who knows something about college football!!!!!!!!
          I agree, screw the BEAST BB schools & ND. They led to the demise of the
          football conference.
          JDBearcat
          RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

I don't think this move means "something is going down". The presidents nearly booted Marinatto out during all the conference realignment. However, given that Marinatto was already working on adding schools and weathering the storm, the presidents didn't feel it was in the conference's best interest to start from scratch with a new commissioner at the same time. This move has been in the works for a while.

We need to look at this as a positive. Prez Williams gets to lead the charge in the new commissioner. We are now the "Texas" of the Big East......ha ha.

Comment

i hear andy furman is his first choice.

Comment

Uh, if Williams is leading the search, it probably means we are stuck.

Comment

I really hope the Big East can survive. I actually like the current alignment, the football replacements certainly add more on that side than the departing WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt take away by leaving. WVU has been good recently, but it has been a long time since Syracuse and Pitt accomplished anything noteworthy on the football field. Memphis and Temple also add a lot of depth to the basketball side, and with the size of the Houston market I would be surprised if UH did not make a big move to get back to the type of program they once were.

So to sum it up, I think with the new alignment the football is actually better and the basketball is nearly as good. If we can hold this together it is a better league. The TV contract will have a lot to say about the future of the league. Since Comcast purchased NBC and launched the NBC Sports network, I would think they would be a major player if they really intend to take on ESPN, and they certainly have the resources to do so. The next contract could actually stabilize the league for years to come.

I guess we could also be invited to the Big 12, for example. From a selfish point of view I would again rather stay in the Big East just for the basketball tournament. I actually attended the BE tourney the last two years and had a great time. I have been to Kansas City many times and have nothing against the place, but it ain't New York folks, not even close.

Comment

Interesting read:

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...er_than_later/

It doesn't name sources, so file this under one person's opinion. Of note...

If there is a common thread, it is that football once again is at the top of the agenda, which makes the core group of basketball-playing Catholic schools nervous; a split within the conference appears to be more of a possibility than ever before...

These moves could happen sooner rather than later. There is also a strong possibility that Big East football might take some further hits - watch out for Louisville making a move to the Big 12 under new commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who was the athletic director at Stanford.

The BCS will have its new plans in place by July, with a four-team playoff likely, starting after the 2014 season. Whether the new Big East is part of that plan seems less likely than ever before, especially if Louisville leaves, which would be the move that could really incite the basketball schools to break away.

Comment

Poorly researched article.

So many things to correct.

1st - The Catholic schools would never ever depart from the football schools. They would lose so much money and traditions. They may not be happy but they are FAR from considering leaving. Mike Decourcy did a really nice peice on this. IF the big east splits it will be because the football schools will depart from the basketball schools, not the other way around.

2nd - The four game playoff that is being considered would not "exclude" any conference. If you are a conference winner and in the top 6 of the ranking you would be eligiable for the playoff. They would take top 4 teams from the conferences winners within that 6 would make the playoff. The only issue would be the possibility of the #1 or #2 teams not being in ala Bama this previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
                        2nd - The four game playoff that is being considered would not "exclude" any conference. If you are a conference winner and in the top 6 of the ranking you would be eligiable for the playoff. They would take top 4 teams from the conferences winners within that 6 would make the playoff. The only issue would be the possibility of the #1 or #2 teams not being in ala Bama this previous year.
                        Yeah, but let's be real here -- the "new" BE doesn't have the star power necessary to push it's champion into the "Top 6" on a regular basis.

Under the old system, UConn could win the BE and be guaranteed a spot in a premier bowl. Now, that same UConn team wouldn't sniff the "Final Four." With the bowl systems reverting back to negotiated tie-ins, you'll see the big-time conferences (SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10) scoop up all the former BCS bowls (with the ACC taking a slot in the Orange Bowl), leaving the BE with leftovers and low-payout bowls. So, that UConn team that won the BE would be relegated to playing in the Tire Bowl or the Muffler Bowl despite being BE champion.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X