• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND to join ACC for all sports except football

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...e-football-acc

Here we go again...

Comment

I saw at least one comment suggesting this was because the Big East told them they join up in football too or GTFO. It was a user comment, so completely unsubstantiated... but would the Big East do that?

Comment

Originally posted by mosucrc View Post
        I saw at least one comment suggesting this was because the Big East told them they join up in football too or GTFO. It was a user comment, so completely unsubstantiated... but would the Big East do that?
        I doubt the BEast would do that. This weakens basketball considerably. This is now a 4th team that was likely to make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. A pretty big hit to the BEast reputation of being the best bball conference. I think the ACC has passed the BEast by.

Comment

Screw 'em. We don't need 'em if they don't want to bring in Football. Now I really hate ESPN. If the ACC wants to become the BEast that tells you something in and of itself.

Now we just need to pound Syracuse, Notre Dame, and and former BEast program Virginia Tech in any/all sports we play them in.
          Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

Makes perfect sense $$ wise. The ACC was already going to be the best bball conference, now the rich just got richer.
            Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

The timing of this absolutely reeks. The BE is in the middle of media negotiations with ESPN, with other potential suitors in the wings (e.g., NBC) come November. Regardless of how we have felt about the big elephant in the room (ND), this hurts.

This doesn't make me feel any more secure about the probability that UofL and possibly others would want to remain in the reconfigured BE.

Comment

Here's the million dollar question. Many of us wanted Notre Dame to join for football or GTFO. Now that they've gone the GTFO route, how will this actually affect the Big East in the end?
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Here's the million dollar question. Many of us wanted Notre Dame to join for football or GTFO. Now that they've gone the GTFO route, how will this actually affect the Big East in the end?
                  Much as we all love to hate on ND here, this is a huge monetary and prestige blow to the Big East. I look for Louisville to go anywhere that will have them, at their earliest opportunity.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised by this. If the Big East signed with NBC... this would give ND an easy in into a conference. They can keep their big TV contract, and join the Big East.

Apparently they really want to be Indpendent. Which is going to bite them in the *** after they have another 6-6 season this year.
                    "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
                      Much as we all love to hate on ND here, this is a huge monetary and prestige blow to the Big East. I look for Louisville to go anywhere that will have them, at their earliest opportunity.
                      Hopefully we can ride their coattails to the Big 12.
                      "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
                        I'm kind of surprised by this. If the Big East signed with NBC... this would give ND an easy in into a conference. They can keep their big TV contract, and join the Big East.

Apparently they really want to be Indpendent. Which is going to bite them in the *** after they have another 6-6 season this year.
                        One the element of the ACC contract is that they only have to be within one win of an ACC team for a bowl to take them over a team with a better record. So 6-6 gets them in a bowl over a 7-5 ACC Team. Why the ACC agreed to do this is beyond me since ND already has an Orange Bowl tie in and the ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
                          Louisville is not going anywhere because there is no better place to go. Their only real alternative is the Big 12 and that conference would need to find two schools (UL plus one other) that would not delute the $20+ million per school TV payout. UL doesn't add $20 million in value to a TV contact and neither does anyone else who is not a member of one of the "big" five.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            One the element of the ACC contract is that they only have to be within one win of an ACC team for a bowl to take them over a team with a better record. So 6-6 gets them in a bowl over a 7-5 ACC Team. Why the ACC agreed to do this is beyond me since ND already has an Orange Bowl tie in and the ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl.
                            Because the ACC is more valuable $$ now than it was before.

Conference revenue goes up, they increase the exit fee, and elite ACC programs have no benefit of jumping ship should the Big 12/SEC come calling.
                            Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

And it further separates them from the big east...even though not on the field/court.
                              Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X