Notre Dame to ACC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
    How so? They have been to 2 Sweet 16s in the past 25 years (last in 2003, before that 1987) and have been to one Final Four in 34 years. The days of Notre Dame being an elite athletic power are over. They and their fans are living off of past accomplishments.

They were never in in football which is the main driver behind all of these realignments. Now, if UL jumps then I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat-in-Italy View Post
      Here are the comparisons for UC vs. Notre Dame in terms of final basketball standings since UC joined the Big East:

Year ND UC
      2012 3 4
      2011 2 7
      2010 6 11
      2009 9 10
      2008 2 10
      2007 4 16
      2006 12 8
      U.C. has been rebuilding during the past six years and finally is getting back to where we all hope they would/will be. There is no comparison.

I do agree with you that ND has a solid basketball program, but not necessarily elite.

Comment

Here's what bothers me... UC is an afterthought in almost every conversation about the Big East - hardly mentioned, whether it's about schools that could leave for other conferences or even schools that are staying. How is it that with the recent success that has been had in football, the rebirth of the basketball program, UC is still forgotten? Look at the comment left on the "Big East Coast Bias" message board:
        The main thing the Big East is losing here is Notre Dame basketball. Now, Aresco needs to assure the rest of the members that he has the situation under control, because everyone is going to be panicking… but why panic? Football is not affected and this will only open up the basketball conference even more, allowing new teams to ascend. The Big East will be left with seven truly solid basketball programs in UConn, Louisville, Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Memphis, and Temple. This is not the end of the world and was probably inevitable. Yes, Big East basketball is slightly weakened with this loss, but it is nothing that can’t be overcome.
        The poster mentions the quality basketball that's left. But no mention of UC. Runner up in the Big East tournament last season. Tied for 3rd in the regular season standings (I think - maybe I remember incorrectly). Sweet 16 in the NCAA. Mention football, and apparently UL is the only quality program left... forget that 3 out of the last 4 years, UC has gotten at least a share of the league title, if not outright - and before that making steady progress upward.
        Come on - talk about feeling like the kid who's waiting to get picked last in the pickup game at recess.

Comment

Originally posted by mjv780 View Post
          Come on - talk about feeling like the kid who's waiting to get picked last in the pickup game at recess.
          I'll tell ya when I was a kid my uncle was dying and wanted to hold me in his lap....................he was in the electric chair!

Rodney (UC) Dangerfield

Comment

Read this and don't worry about it - makes perfect sense: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...W9ucw--;_ylv=3

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
              Read this and don't worry about it - makes perfect sense: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...W9ucw--;_ylv=3
              Wetzel summed it up perfectly. No great loss to the Big East. ND is a solid BB program, but by no means elite. Funny that UMass was mentioned in the article because I do think that they will be a target in the future expansion plans of the BE.
              RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
              CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Big East commish: Notre Dame hasn't set jump date

Big East commish: Notre Dame hasn't set ACC jump date in 'preliminary' talks
                Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told the Tribune on Thursday that talks with Notre Dame are "very preliminary" and not to be confused with negotiations that will spur the school's jump to the ACC. There isn't total clarity anyway, after a month, about when the school wants to make that jump.

"Notre Dame has expressed interest in at least discussing leaving early," Aresco told the Tribune. "We'll have a discussion about it. (Athletic director) Jack (Swarbrick) wasn't sure what they were going to do at this point...

We'll adhere to the bylaws, and if there is a desire to do something sooner, then obviously it would have to be something we could agree to."
                Asked about a potential departure date on Sept. 12, Swarbrick said in a news conference that he felt "it's in everybody's interests to try to move it along." It is expected Notre Dame aims to join the ACC for the 2013-14 sports calendar.
                http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ast-notre-dame

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X