Boise State, SDSU, and BYU looking at rejoining MWC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
    Why not go 'Indy' until conferences are ready for 16. At least we'd finalize some schedules
    We dont have the draw to pull a media contract as an independent. I don't think UC would be able to afford it.

Comment

University presidents talk. Especially ones in the same state, as they need to work together on funding issues, etc.

Gee at OSU is verrrrrrry well-connected in the realignment shuffle. He was setting up meetings between Delaney and Texas. He knows what is going to happen.

If I had to guess, he's probably given Ono some kind of indication whether we are screwed or not, along the lines of "well, this isn't over yet..." Hence the very optimistic statements from Ono and company.

As far as the idea that OSU doesn't want another BCS program in state, sure, they may wish that was the case, but not at the expense of stopping Big Ten expansion.

Also, UC isn't OSU in terms of support in state government, but it's still the second largest university in the state, so there is probably a certain amount of pressure on Gee to confirm what the future holds for UC.

The state, and more importantly, southwestern Ohio's representation, is probably pretty keen on UC maintaining an affiliation of decent academic peers (read: not Southern Miss, et al)

OSU can be Bigfoot in this state, but they have to look out for UC to a certain degree.
      Last edited by bobestes; 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I dont' buy that at all. Osu will do anything to increase it's athletic presence in southern ohio. don't kid yourself. Osu has more influence over things in cbus than cbus has over it.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
          I dont' buy that at all. Osu will do anything to increase it's athletic presence in southern ohio. don't kid yourself. Osu has more influence over things in cbus than cbus has over it.
          I agree. The only thing O$U is interested in helping is O$U

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
            I agree. The only thing O$U is interested in helping is O$U
            Why would they care about anything else? The same way the only thing UC cares about is helping UC.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
              The only reason UC does not have the same kind of influence over Cincinnati, is because of P&G and Kroger.

Comment

We can only hope this is true. 3 teams in the Pacific Time Zone joining the Big East made no sense. I understand the $$$ side of it, but please stop the madness of east coast/west coast teams being in the same conference!
                Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Here's more detail on Boise State staying on MWC. Article also states that SDSU has until January 31st to accept invitation to Mountain West.
                  NOT LEAVING OUT SAN DIEGO STATE

San Diego State played a critical role in getting Boise State’s other sports programs into the Big West, a key part of the decision to join the Big East in football.

Kustra and Coyle have become close with their San Diego State counterparts. So the Broncos insisted that the Mountain West find room for the Aztecs, who are scheduled to join the Big East in July.

The new agreement calls for the Mountain West to extend an invitation to San Diego State to join the league before offering membership to any other school. The option expires Jan. 31.

“We feel like San Diego State was there for Boise State and we ought to be there for them,” Kustra said.

The Aztecs have not made their intentions known at this point.
                  http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...es-forced.html

Comment

I'd bet SDSU stays in the MWC. That's a no brainer for them at this time.

No divisions in FB and a reworked league schedule for the BE.

Per Navy's AD, BSU's demands were outrageous:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports...67cc54798.html
                    Last edited by RedRocker; 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM.
                    RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Any word on if they'll pay an exit fee? Not sure if they signed the paperwork to join or if it was unofficial / still in the planning and negotiating stages.
                      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                        Any word on if they'll pay an exit fee? Not sure if they signed the paperwork to join or if it was unofficial / still in the planning and negotiating stages.
                        I've heard a $5M number floating around which is what I think TCU had to pay. The MWC is supposedly helping them with that. I think SDSU has an escape clause with no penalty since BSU has left.

Red Rocker
                        CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Denny Janson on WCPO (9) just stated that SDSU is staying in the MWC.

Red Rocker
                          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                            Denny Janson on WCPO (9) just stated that SDSU is staying in the MWC.
                            Here's ESPN's take:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ference-member

Not surprising. I got the impression that the Dallas meeting was intended, not only to have the BE brass come to some sort of consensus, but also to allow SDSU to slide back to the MWC. Apparently, very little effort was made to try to convince the Aztecs to stay. That's fine anyway, simply because it wouldn't have made much sense to have one school two time zones west of the next nearest schools.

What this does is really mess up UC's 2013 football schedule, as the Cats were scheduled to play both BSU and SDSU. Now, they have to find two suitable replacements, which will be tough, considering that most of the other BE teams are in the same boat, to some extent. Only UCF and USF weren't on either western school's slate.

UC already has one FCS team (Northwestern State) on their schedule. They can't add two more, so Whit has his work cut out for him.

Comment

As someone already stated, the remaining schools may be able to fill their schedule with conference games not already on the schedule. With two west teams out, I am not sure how that is going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                                Here's ESPN's take:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ference-member

Not surprising. I got the impression that the Dallas meeting was intended, not only to have the BE brass come to some sort of consensus, but also to allow SDSU to slide back to the MWC. Apparently, very little effort was made to try to convince the Aztecs to stay. That's fine anyway, simply because it wouldn't have made much sense to have one school two time zones west of the next nearest schools.

What this does is really mess up UC's 2013 football schedule, as the Cats were scheduled to play both BSU and SDSU. Now, they have to find two suitable replacements, which will be tough, considering that most of the other BE teams are in the same boat, to some extent. Only UCF and USF weren't on either western school's slate.

UC already has one FCS team (Northwestern State) on their schedule. They can't add two more, so Whit has his work cut out for him.
                                They'll just redo the league schedule for 10 teams vs. 12. It is that simple. We won't be adding any more non-conference games. There won't be any divisions next year and I'm sure the schedule without SDSU was a big topic of conversation at last week's meeting.

There also has been some talk of Tulane and ECU coming early.

Edit: BE standing still @ 10 teams per Andrea Adelson and new 2013 conference schedule to be announced Friday.
                                Last edited by RedRocker; 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM.

Red Rocker
                                CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X