X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from President Ono

I just got this via e-mail this morning:

Dear UC Community,
    Given the recent developments in athletics conference realignment, I want our Bearcat family to know that we are not only closely monitoring the situation but also working proactively to protect and serve the best interests of the University.

Our message to the broader community is that UC is firmly committed to competing at the highest level, both on and off the field. From our research profile to our number of national merit scholars, UC stands tall as one of the top public research universities in the nation. Moreover, we are building a remarkable amount of momentum, as evidenced by our 17 spot leap in the U.S. News & World Report ranking over the past two years.

Also impressive is the heightened success of our athletic programs. Last year, for instance, UC ended the season with top 25 finishes in both football and basketball--a fact that only five other schools in the country can claim. Plus, the academic success of our student-athletes has never been stronger.

In short, UC has a terrific story to tell, and we will not miss an opportunity to share our aspirations and accomplishments with our peers.

During this time of fast-paced developments, as well as widespread rumors, I respectfully ask for your patience and understanding. Please know that we are doing all that we can to secure the best outcome for UC.

I deeply appreciate the input and support of our loyal fans as well as the tremendous efforts of our teams, coaches, student-athletes and athletic director.
    Keith Wedinger
    Bearcatnews.com Administrator
    Twitter: @jkwuc89

Just got the same message Keith. I trust President Ono to do what is in UC's best interest.

The UC community has a lot to be proud of and UC has a lot of oositives in its favor. The school is light years different than when we stepped on campus as freshmen 28 years ago. I expect that upward movement to continue.
    Last edited by RedRocker; 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM.
    RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Translation: We are begging....

And we should be.

Comment

I liked President Williams, but this memo is a lot more encouraging to me than his memo last year during all this where he spoke about making the Big East work. I'm happy to see that President Ono did not mention once about making the current situation work, because it's obvious to everyone that the Big East will no longer work for any school (that plays football). I think Pres. Ono really does have what it takes to guide the school through this situation... at least I hope he does.

Comment

The only thing that can save UC now is further expansion by the B1G -- the longer the ACC waits to name a replacement, the better it is for UC (b/c I'm assuming that means they know more dominoes are going to fall).

Although, it wouldn't hurt if a few millionaire or billlionaire alums/Cincinnatians took an interest in the program by way of a large, public cash donation right now.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

I am very very encouraged by this email. It was great to see Santa at the game Saturday. He looks like he is ready to take not only the athletics, but the entire university to the next level. Very excited about UC's future.

Comment

Good to see. Great job communicating. Sitting quiet does no one any good.

The fact that the University leaders are engaged and know enough to keep their fans engaged is extremely encouraging. Terrific leadership at this point. Now, go get us a conference!

Comment

No mention of the Big east, just UC and our interests. I like that!

Comment

My Two Front Teeth

Dear Santa: To heck with my two front teeth--All I want for Christmas is a new conference!

Comment

A very timely & calming message from Pres. Ono. I like his proactive stance & hope we
                    can somehow get into a better situation than we are currently in.
                    PS Santa I want a new conference as in the ACC or Big 12.
                    JDBearcat
                    RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

I am encouraged by this communication. If nothing else, it shows that the administration is aware, interested, and involved in seeking a resolution.

I am not sure I can say the same thing about some of the past administrations.

I am not trying to be overly critical of past administrations/individuals. It's more of a compliment to the current administration for recognizing that this is an issue that is of particular concern to at least a portion of the university supporters.

Comment

I really have no idea what kind of job Williams did as president, he might have been great, but I really like Santa Ono's energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
                          I really have no idea what kind of job Williams did as president, he might have been great, but I really like Santa Ono's energy.
                          A friend of mine - a student - made a comment on Facebook about Ono being spotted driving a Porsche near campus, and the Prez responded to that comment directly (he was test driving it). Pretty cool for him to have that level of engagement with students.

Comment

He had the cheerleaders lift him up in the 3rd or fourth quarter of last game. Seemed to be having a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by BearCatMarcher View Post
                              He had the cheerleaders lift him up in the 3rd or fourth quarter of last game. Seemed to be having a blast.
                              I saw that too. He was walking around the south end of the field shaking hands and taking pictures with fans. He also passed out t-shirts and pizzas to the students. Wish they would have thrown some in my section right next to the students instead of pandering to kids who largely left by the start of the 4th quarter.
                              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X