More Big Ten movement?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fear the Binturong
    replied
    Originally posted by cincycpaw
    But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.
    Ultimately it's about both. You have to get your network into as many houses as possible but you also have to hope those homes are tuning into the games. If you have your network on millions of TV sets but no one is actually turning to that channel it doesn't do the Big 10 any good. They have to be careful that when they add they're also adding in places where people will watch. If there are no ratings there are no advertising dollars. That being said I think the Big 10 would do very well for themselves to add GT and the Atlanta market.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatn8
    replied
    Originally posted by RedRocker
    Very true....thus Rutgers' and Maryland's inclusions. I keep forgeting it's not about the programs, but about the B10 Network. WTH am I thinking.
    From Ohio, live in Atlanta. Since I moved here 8 years ago, have been continually amazed at how many Big 10 fans live in Atlanta. Go to a package store on Saturday morning and you are just as likely to see an OSU sweatshirt as a Bama or UGA sweatshirt. (OK, a little exaggeration, but still . . .) It would make a lot of sense for the Big 10 to try to infiltrate the south, and would be a natural response to the SEC's ventures into Texas and Missouri.

    Leave a comment:


  • RedRocker
    replied
    Originally posted by cincycpaw
    But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.
    Very true....thus Rutgers' and Maryland's inclusions. I keep forgeting it's not about the programs, but about the B10 Network. WTH am I thinking.

    Leave a comment:


  • cincycpaw
    replied
    Originally posted by RedRocker
    I wonder how much GT delivers the ATL market. My niece lives in ATL with her husband (a UGA alum) and GT seems to be little brother to UGA in terms of coverage and support in that market.

    Maybe DeafBearcat can chime in with his thoughts since he lives there.
    But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.

    Leave a comment:


  • RedRocker
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatgary
    The last move was driven by the media markets of NYC and DC. If we use AAU and market size as the criteria, Virginia (DC) and GT (3rd largest football market) are obvious choices.
    I wonder how much GT delivers the ATL market. My niece lives in ATL with her husband (a UGA alum) and GT seems to be little brother to UGA in terms of coverage and support in that market.

    Maybe DeafBearcat can chime in with his thoughts since he lives there.

    Leave a comment:


  • RedRocker
    replied
    Originally posted by cincycpaw
    Oh I know. But that would be a strike right at the heart of college basketball. I'd love to get some of these presidents and some ESPN execs in a small room with no windows.
    and a baseball bat!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcatgary
    replied
    The last move was driven by the media markets of NYC and DC. If we use AAU and market size as the criteria, Virginia (DC) and GT (3rd largest football market) are obvious choices.

    Leave a comment:


  • cincycpaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Rational Cat
    Nothing is sacred anymore.
    Oh I know. But that would be a strike right at the heart of college basketball. I'd love to get some of these presidents and some ESPN execs in a small room with no windows.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rational Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by cincycpaw
    AS much as I hate saying this...I sure hope UNC and Duke don't end up in different conferences. That would be a travesty.
    Nothing is sacred anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • cincycpaw
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainProbasco
    I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt was a Big 10 target. I have a friend who is a huge Vandy fan and he says that they've considered it before without getting too much pushback other than that it's a Yankee conference (the conference of Northern Aggression, they call it). So it's not out of the question they'd say yes, especially if it's in tandem with other Southern schools.

    I could see a combination of Vandy/ Georgia Tech/ Virginia / North Carolina being very attractive for both sides.
    AS much as I hate saying this...I sure hope UNC and Duke don't end up in different conferences. That would be a travesty.

    Leave a comment:


  • CaptainProbasco
    replied
    I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt was a Big 10 target. I have a friend who is a huge Vandy fan and he says that they've considered it before without getting too much pushback other than that it's a Yankee conference (the conference of Northern Aggression, they call it). So it's not out of the question they'd say yes, especially if it's in tandem with other Southern schools.

    I could see a combination of Vandy/ Georgia Tech/ Virginia / North Carolina being very attractive for both sides.

    Leave a comment:


  • CaptainProbasco
    replied
    You'd also have to eliminate Pitt and Iowa State from the Big 10's short list. They'll never add a school in an overlapping market (unless it's Notre Dame).

    Also, AAU is not 100% necessary. Notre Dame is not in the AAU. Nebraska got kicked out of the AAU the year they were added.

    Miami, Oklahoma, and Florida State are not in the AAU. But they're all better than Nebraska and Miami is also better than Iowa.

    Leave a comment:


  • jplog
    replied
    Like to hear this except for the last part about how 16 teams may be too many teams. Really hope we find a home soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • bearcated
    started a topic More Big Ten movement?

    More Big Ten movement?

    Mike Dodd of CBS Sports writes that "Delany, Big Ten might feast some more on the ACC". The word on the street is Virginia and Georgia Tech are next up for the B-10. Georgia Tech makes sense for the B-10, big TV market, another place to sell the B-10 Network, and gives them presence in SEC country.

    Any movement in league re-alignment is only good news for UC. Let's hope for more chaos. Next man in.

    BTW. The B-10 has been targeting schools that belong to the Assoc of American Universities. That list includes: Duke, Iowa St, Rice, Tulane, Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Pitt. Eliminate Rice and Tulane and that gets you down to the short list.

    Here's the link:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...