More Big Ten movement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Big Ten movement?

Mike Dodd of CBS Sports writes that "Delany, Big Ten might feast some more on the ACC". The word on the street is Virginia and Georgia Tech are next up for the B-10. Georgia Tech makes sense for the B-10, big TV market, another place to sell the B-10 Network, and gives them presence in SEC country.

Any movement in league re-alignment is only good news for UC. Let's hope for more chaos. Next man in.

BTW. The B-10 has been targeting schools that belong to the Assoc of American Universities. That list includes: Duke, Iowa St, Rice, Tulane, Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Pitt. Eliminate Rice and Tulane and that gets you down to the short list.

Here's the link:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ore-on-the-acc

Like to hear this except for the last part about how 16 teams may be too many teams. Really hope we find a home soon.

Comment

You'd also have to eliminate Pitt and Iowa State from the Big 10's short list. They'll never add a school in an overlapping market (unless it's Notre Dame).

Also, AAU is not 100% necessary. Notre Dame is not in the AAU. Nebraska got kicked out of the AAU the year they were added.

Miami, Oklahoma, and Florida State are not in the AAU. But they're all better than Nebraska and Miami is also better than Iowa.
      UC MBA '08
      Purdue '15

Comment

I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt was a Big 10 target. I have a friend who is a huge Vandy fan and he says that they've considered it before without getting too much pushback other than that it's a Yankee conference (the conference of Northern Aggression, they call it). So it's not out of the question they'd say yes, especially if it's in tandem with other Southern schools.

I could see a combination of Vandy/ Georgia Tech/ Virginia / North Carolina being very attractive for both sides.
        UC MBA '08
        Purdue '15

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainProbasco View Post
          I would not be surprised if Vanderbilt was a Big 10 target. I have a friend who is a huge Vandy fan and he says that they've considered it before without getting too much pushback other than that it's a Yankee conference (the conference of Northern Aggression, they call it). So it's not out of the question they'd say yes, especially if it's in tandem with other Southern schools.

I could see a combination of Vandy/ Georgia Tech/ Virginia / North Carolina being very attractive for both sides.
          AS much as I hate saying this...I sure hope UNC and Duke don't end up in different conferences. That would be a travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by cincycpaw View Post
            AS much as I hate saying this...I sure hope UNC and Duke don't end up in different conferences. That would be a travesty.
            Nothing is sacred anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
              Nothing is sacred anymore.
              Oh I know. But that would be a strike right at the heart of college basketball. I'd love to get some of these presidents and some ESPN execs in a small room with no windows.

Comment

The last move was driven by the media markets of NYC and DC. If we use AAU and market size as the criteria, Virginia (DC) and GT (3rd largest football market) are obvious choices.

Comment

Oh I know. But that would be a strike right at the heart of college basketball. I'd love to get some of these presidents and some ESPN execs in a small room with no windows.
                  and a baseball bat!!!
                  RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                  CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatgary View Post
                    The last move was driven by the media markets of NYC and DC. If we use AAU and market size as the criteria, Virginia (DC) and GT (3rd largest football market) are obvious choices.
                    I wonder how much GT delivers the ATL market. My niece lives in ATL with her husband (a UGA alum) and GT seems to be little brother to UGA in terms of coverage and support in that market.

Maybe DeafBearcat can chime in with his thoughts since he lives there.

Red Rocker
                    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                      I wonder how much GT delivers the ATL market. My niece lives in ATL with her husband (a UGA alum) and GT seems to be little brother to UGA in terms of coverage and support in that market.

Maybe DeafBearcat can chime in with his thoughts since he lives there.
                      But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.

Comment

But again, it's not really about getting people that watch GTech to watch the Big Ten network. It's about getting into the houses and the people tuning in to watch Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Looking for the Big Ten alums that live in the area. Sure, you also get the Gtech fans and hope that grows, but it;s not the reason.
                        Very true....thus Rutgers' and Maryland's inclusions. I keep forgeting it's not about the programs, but about the B10 Network. WTH am I thinking.

Red Rocker
                        CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                          Very true....thus Rutgers' and Maryland's inclusions. I keep forgeting it's not about the programs, but about the B10 Network. WTH am I thinking.
                          From Ohio, live in Atlanta. Since I moved here 8 years ago, have been continually amazed at how many Big 10 fans live in Atlanta. Go to a package store on Saturday morning and you are just as likely to see an OSU sweatshirt as a Bama or UGA sweatshirt. (OK, a little exaggeration, but still . . .) It would make a lot of sense for the Big 10 to try to infiltrate the south, and would be a natural response to the SEC's ventures into Texas and Missouri.

Comment

Ultimately it's about both. You have to get your network into as many houses as possible but you also have to hope those homes are tuning into the games. If you have your network on millions of TV sets but no one is actually turning to that channel it doesn't do the Big 10 any good. They have to be careful that when they add they're also adding in places where people will watch. If there are no ratings there are no advertising dollars. That being said I think the Big 10 would do very well for themselves to add GT and the Atlanta market.

Comment

Originally posted by Fear the Binturong View Post
                              Ultimately it's about both. You have to get your network into as many houses as possible but you also have to hope those homes are tuning into the games. If you have your network on millions of TV sets but no one is actually turning to that channel it doesn't do the Big 10 any good. They have to be careful that when they add they're also adding in places where people will watch. If there are no ratings there are no advertising dollars. That being said I think the Big 10 would do very well for themselves to add GT and the Atlanta market.
                              The bulk of the money doesn't come from advertising dollars. It comes from cable subscriber fees. So generally speaking, as long as the local cable carriers end up adding the B1G network, it is a huge potential boon regardless of if anyone actually watches it.

That said, your central argument is strong in that there has to be demand for the network before anyone will consider adding it to their regional cable packages, and at what level it will be added (i.e. basic, extended, super extended, etc.)

There's a lot more about this online, here's a short summary in re Maryland and Rutgers with some good PAC linfo and analysis inside as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ney/index.html
                              Last edited by Antonio; 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM.
                              U.C. Law '09

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X