Boise St
    UNLV
    New Mexico
    SDSU
    BYU
    Temple
    Memphis
    UCF
    This league will not fill Nippert. How stable would it be? I applaud the effort, but this would be fairly ugly, and how stable would it be, and how long would it last. UCONN, UC,USF, Boise would all jump at the first offer to a "big boy" conference.

Comment

Not a bad basketball conference.

Football is not great, but about as good as it given the situation.

Basically, this is a feeder conference to whichever of the major 5 conferences (most likely ACC, B12 and P12) that want/need to expand next.

I'm not sure why BYU would join this when they won't join the B12.

Comment

Agree with Banter about these opponents not providing enough interest to fill Nippert.

Technically not all sports because UCONN slated to join Hockey East in 2014, and their lacrossee plays in the MCLA for non-NCAA sports but you would have to think UCONN eventually wants to go to NCAA (D1) status in lacrosse like hockey.

Wasn't the Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase the transcontinental champion - can the new league use that name without trademark infringement? Oh wait, that was intercontinental champion, never mind.

Comment

Decourcy thinks it is a move by UC and UConn to gain leverage on joining the ACC.

Comment

Who would have thought that UC and UConn would become bed fellows.

Comment

BYU would be interested due to playing in every region of the USA.

I go to the game regardless, but I doubt many would get excited to play the Lobos.

Comment

Geez, I hope this isn't the UC administration accepting the hopelessness of the situation. Absolutely nothing about this conference excites me. yuck.

Comment

Honestly, if you can for the short term schedule lvl in an out of conference game, and a league similar to this, it's likely as good or better than what we have been seeing the past several years. pitt, syc, to a lessor extent rutgers, not exactly setting the world on fire. Sometimes you get caught up in this movement, and think ok we're not in the acc for fball tradgedy. however, if schools like fla st, clemson, va tech jump, we're basically back to a bigger version of what we are losing now. Is that great? Better for bball for certain, but just a bigger version of our "lost" fball.

Comment

Although, not ideal, you have to move forward and this is definitely better than what Conference USA offers. It's plan B, but you have to move forward and not sit on your laurels like we allowed the BE to do. It's either that or join the MWC. What other option do we have? Being independent does not help and would decrease attendance. I think we need be proactive on this. is it a stunt - probably, but you have to come up with a plan and this more of a plan then the BE has ever done.

You have to look at the positives and although not ideal, move forward.

Comment

Basically with the disparate locales scattered all across the nation this is CUSA all over again.
                      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                        Basically with the disparate locales scattered all across the nation this is CUSA all over again.
                        It's worse. The locales are even MORE spread out.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

So UC's closest geographic rival in this "new" league would be, ummm, Memphis at nearly 500 miles away? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Team View Post
                            So UC's closest geographic rival in this "new" league would be, ummm, Memphis at nearly 500 miles away? No thanks.
                            What is the alternative?

I like the fact that rather than sitting around and waiting, UC is trying to make something happen.

The end of this story is not written yet

Comment

In today's crazy realignment world, regional rivalries are being thrown out the window. So, I don't think geographical boundaries will have a significant influence on where UC ultimately ends up.

What do folks think about joining two conferences? Perhaps UC basketball and the non-revenue generating sports can join the Catholic 7's new league and UC football can find a home somewhere else...like the Mountain West for instance?
                              Keith Wedinger
                              Bearcatnews.com Administrator
                              Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X