Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UCfan_kc View Post
    Who cares if we are not "big time". I think the biggest issue these days is we worry so much about what everyone else thinks about the football program. If you enjoy the sport, enjoy going to football games, and enjoy rooting for UC then who cares what anyone else thinks?
    Well, I care, for one. And I would be willing to wager that most every member of this forum does too. It raises the overall profile of the university when the athletic program succeeds. And raising the overall profile increases my sense of pride in my alma mater. It may not be rational or logical, but it is true.

Comment

My point is why do we need these things? We can still enjoy football without these things. I go to football games to watch the game, not worry about if somebody in Pacoima, California is watching the Bearcats on a major network.
      I think you also fail to realize the impact good athletics has on your school. Since 2006 Enrollment has risen, average ACT scores have risen, and minimum requirements have risen. Good athletics leads to great things for UC, and the MAC simply wont do that. Joining the MAC would be a death sentence for UC. We would never again see the excited crowds at Nippert, and basketball would be garbage. UC is a fairly big brand in mens basketball and that would go away.

Comment

What does Ohio U average in attendance - about 20k for football and 6k for mens hoops in the thriving metropolis of Athens - UC should be approaching 2x those numbers...

Comment

My point is why do we need these things? We can still enjoy football without these things. I go to football games to watch the game, not worry about if somebody in Pacoima, California is watching the Bearcats on a major network.
          Dude, the MAC sucks. If you want to watch MAC football go to Ohio U, BGSU, or Miami. Our programs aren't even comparable anymore.

The rest of us enjoy seeing a higher level of football.
          "The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by Helicopter View Post
            Dude, the MAC sucks. If you want to watch MAC football go to Ohio U, BGSU, or Miami. Our programs aren't even comparable anymore.

The rest of us enjoy seeing a higher level of football.
            The MAC may suck, but UC did lose to a MAC team this year. And that MAC team did not win the MAC either. And it got blown out in its bowl game. So, before we go claiming superiority to the MAC, let's remember the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
              The MAC may suck, but UC did lose to a MAC team this year. And that MAC team did not win the MAC either. And it got blown out in its bowl game. So, before we go claiming superiority to the MAC, let's remember the facts.
              Since joining the BIG EAST in 2005 the Cincinnati Bearcats are 11-2 against the MAC. Since UC has joined the BIG EAST there has been an ever widening gap between CINCINNATI Football and MAC football. This year's Toledo loss was due to awful quarterback play, a coach who didn't believe in making adjustments, a defensive line ravaged by the flu, and a blind squirrel who actually found his nut.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div....php?year=2010

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div....php?year=2005
              Last edited by True Bearcat; 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM. Reason: add links

Comment

Who cares if we are not "big time". I think the biggest issue these days is we worry so much about what everyone else thinks about the football program. If you enjoy the sport, enjoy going to football games, and enjoy rooting for UC then who cares what anyone else thinks?
                That is valid question: Does UC benefit from the national exposure big time athletics, especially football, provides. I think the university has found that it does indeed, starting with the exposure itself, from a greater number of applications, to higher quality students, to a more geographically diverse student population, to additional donations to name a few.

And many of us here have been at Nippert with less then 10,000 attending, and a disinterested, mostly empty student section. If when you attend you don't feel that there is a vastly different experience with that as opposed to 30,000+, etc., then I suppose REjoining the MAC would be OK - but after a brief go at that we couldn't wait to get out the last time - why would it be any different this time.

In truth perhaps all college athletics should be handled the way the Ivies or Division 3 schools do it. But UC is not Harvard or Penn, nor is it Otterbein - if Duke, Northwestern and Stanford and UofL (to move to the other end of the spectrum) can compete at the highest level of athletics I'm not sure why UC should not also be able to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post
                  Since joining the BIG EAST in 2005 the Cincinnati Bearcats are 11-2 against the MAC. Since UC has joined the BIG EAST there has been an ever widening gap between CINCINNATI Football and MAC football. This year's Toledo loss was due to awful quarterback play, a coach who didn't believe in making adjustments, a defensive line ravaged by the flu, and a blind squirrel who actually found his nut.

And...the BE as a whole during that time was 39-7. To say the BE isn't a step up is ridiculous.

Comment

Sorry, but 1 loss to a Mac school does not make us a Mac team. Several large programs lost to mid majors but that didn't make there fans decide they should move their programs backward.

I was at UC in the early 90's when we had one of the worst teams in the country. We went to all the games but we went for the beer and social aspect because our team was horrible. There simply was nothing to watch on the field and no passion in the stands.

That has changed dramatically over the past decade. We may not win an NC but we came damn close to getting to the game in 2009. Never would have thought that was possible.

Our program has grown by leaps and bounds over the past decade. It's called competition and in competition you want to be the best. I just don't get the "lets go play lower tier competition so we have a better chance to win" mentality.

Lets not aspire to mediocrity. People including young kids being recruited want to play against the best so they can see how good they are. Fans for the most part are no different. I hate, literally hate when Cincy is dismissed as not belonging at he table when we've had one of the winningest programs over the past 5 years. And during that time we played some big traditional teams and we were in the game until the end. Not like the early 90's when we were invited as the cupcake for those same teams. We are better and should keep trying to be better.
                    Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
                      That is valid question: Does UC benefit from the national exposure big time athletics, especially football, provides. I think the university has found that it does indeed, starting with the exposure itself, from a greater number of applications, to higher quality students, to a more geographically diverse student population, to additional donations to name a few.

And many of us here have been at Nippert with less then 10,000 attending, and a disinterested, mostly empty student section. If when you attend you don't feel that there is a vastly different experience with that as opposed to 30,000+, etc., then I suppose REjoining the MAC would be OK - but after a brief go at that we couldn't wait to get out the last time - why would it be any different this time.

In truth perhaps all college athletics should be handled the way the Ivies or Division 3 schools do it. But UC is not Harvard or Penn, nor is it Otterbein - if Duke, Northwestern and Stanford and UofL (to move to the other end of the spectrum) can compete at the highest level of athletics I'm not sure why UC should not also be able to do so.
                      Exactly!!! Very well said.
                      Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

Let's also remember we have a top 25 all time Basketball program that will probably be ranked in the top 10 this week. That goes away if we joined the MAC and in all likelihood Mick Cronin leaves for a program that supports him.

Personally I would drop my 4 season tickets for football if we joined the MAC. Who cares about watching a team beat Central Michigan? Can't talk to anyone around the water cooler when most wouldn't have a clue that UC played since the score isn't on ESPN, no national recognition at all. I would rather we drop football all together and join the basketball only league, at least it will play a higher brand of hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post

Ah, my favorite theory.
                          RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

I am not arguing that UC should join the MAC. See my earlier post below for my position on that question. I was merely pointing out that UC lost to a MAC team this season in response to others posting how awful the MAC is.

UC's revenues are not far above those of MAC programs. Yet, its travel expenses for non-revenue sports are far greater than they would be in the MAC. But, recruiting in men's basketball and football would drop off considerably in the MAC. At least for the next couple of seasons, UC can offer recruits the "seat at the table." But once the BCS AQ bid vanishes, will UC still hold that advantage over MAC programs? Probably not. So, recruiting may suffer anyway. The MAC may be a good fit geographically for UC and would provide some natural regional rivalries with those schools. But, in my opinion, joining the MAC would basically be saying UC gives up and concedes that it is not a big-time athletic program. I am not ready to make such a concession, despite what the financial aspect of UC athletics may dictate.

Comment

As a UC fan, I guess I just don't see why the MAC can't be an option. I know everyone thinks that being big-time, competing for mythical national championships and all is great, but to me the in-game experience at Nippert, strong regional rivalries, and playing to win your conference are much more valuable to me than trying to get television viewers. When you go to a high school football game, do you care where the high school is ranked nationally or how it's going to play outside the metro area? No, you go to see a football...pure and simple.

I think the MAC offers the potential for great regional rivalries and exciting football games. Will we get the best recruits? Probably not. Will we get national exposure? Maybe, maybe not. Will we get in big-time bowls or the new tournament? We would have an outside shot. But what we would get is exciting football games to go watch, and the regional and in-state rivalries would do better to fill Nippert. And we would challenge for the conference championship on an annual basis. In the end, what is wrong with that? You would have a fun and exciting football program, a great basketball program, and most importantly, a well-regarded institution that refuses to sully itself to make (or probably lose) big bucks by turning itself into a football factory.
                              How can UC fans ever complain about other people not taking our athletics seriously when apparently a portion of our own fan base doesn't even take us seriously?

The scary thing about this post is I've heard like 10 people in the last few weeks mention UC and the MAC. The fact that I'm even having to type this is a joke.
                              Last edited by Fear the Binturong; 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X