Let's Talk Big 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Big 12

Because of the latest developments within the ACC, does the Big 12 become more relevant? I would think that Whit would at least have some insight into what the Big 12 is thinking. To me, it seems like the way to go now--gives a partner for WVU, etc. Any news on this front?

They are going to wait on the appeal that would allow them to have a conference championship game with only 10 teams. If the appeal is denied, our chances are looking good again. If they win, well.....we might want to start putting up AAC signs.

I dont know where the status of the appeal is currently. Anyone hear anything?

Comment

Yea, a road trip to Lubbock for the 'Cats could get ugly for Coach TT

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
        Because of the latest developments within the ACC, does the Big 12 become more relevant? I would think that Whit would at least have some insight into what the Big 12 is thinking. To me, it seems like the way to go now--gives a partner for WVU, etc. Any news on this front?
        I really do not think the Big 12 wants to stay at 10 teams for the next 15 years. I would guess their number one target is BYU. Other potential targets, UC, USF, UCONN, and Air Force.

Comment

I always figured hiring Whit was similar to hiring Goin to get to the Big East, in that his Big 12 connections would help us get to the Big 12.

We're a much better fit for the ACC for a million reasons, but I will take the Big 12 over the American any day.
          U.C. Law '09

Comment

let's face it, they will do nothing to dilute their current $'s unless they absolutely have to or are in a situation where they face others leaving for some odd reason. wv being on an "island" is of little real relevance to the others regardless of what people think. there are not a lot of alternatives for wv so they do not have a lot of leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
              let's face it, they will do nothing to dilute their current $'s unless they absolutely have to or are in a situation where they face others leaving for some odd reason. wv being on an "island" is of little real relevance to the others regardless of what people think. there are not a lot of alternatives for wv so they do not have a lot of leverage.
              Exactly. To answer an earlier poster, yes the Big 12 absolutely wants to stay at 10. The question is whether they are allowed to say at 10; my guess would be no. Aside from BYU, none of the schools they could possibly add have enough value to make it worth it. The other 9 schools don't care about WV's situation all that much. They basically said "ok we'll try to schedule it better next year, now shut up."

Our hope right now is that they are forced to add more. We haven't heard that we are "next in line" like we heard about the ACC, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where we aren't in their next couple choices. Hopefully they expand to 14 and all will be right in the world again.

Anyone know when the appeal is supposed to be decided?
              What I really wanna say I cant define

Comment

End of July is what I thought.
                In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Scheids21 View Post
                  Exactly. To answer an earlier poster, yes the Big 12 absolutely wants to stay at 10. The question is whether they are allowed to say at 10; my guess would be no. Aside from BYU, none of the schools they could possibly add have enough value to make it worth it. The other 9 schools don't care about WV's situation all that much. They basically said "ok we'll try to schedule it better next year, now shut up."

I think the correct legal and fair answer would be no also (i think we are all biased here though). Although with all the talk of the major colleges breaking off from NCAA, I wonder if the NCAA will make an attempt to scratch the back of the biggest athletic program (Texas) and let them win this battle.

Comment

Inventory

I think the Big12 will have to expand eventually for inventory reasons. They will see the amount of games that other conferences will be able to provide and Fox will need to fill time slots.

End game = bringing in 2 more teams at least to fill those needs. Fox can make them expand if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatSeminole View Post
                      I think the Big12 will have to expand eventually for inventory reasons. They will see the amount of games that other conferences will be able to provide and Fox will need to fill time slots.

End game = bringing in 2 more teams at least to fill those needs. Fox can make them expand if need be.
                      Perhaps a long time Big 8/12/SWC fan will correct me, but I am under the belief that one of, if not THE, prime reason(s) for the demise of the old Southwest Conference was that no one outside of Texas, Oklahoma, and perhaps Arkansas, gave a hoot about what was happening in the conference. Merger with the old Big 8 was supposed to take care of that, but with the recent defections and additions they are moving increasingly closer to that happening again. Despite UTexas not wanting to divide the pie more than is necessary they may discover that adding a couple of teams in new heavily populated areas would be extremely beneficial. (And I am not so sure, despite the GOR, if the Rutgers/Maryland add works out, you will not see the Big Whatever take a run at Georgia Tech, etc.)

Comment

I have always believed that the Big 12 was more iffy than the ACC. I still believe that Texas will break or make that conference.

Interesting last week hearing about the new SEC Network. A long time friend and Tennessee fan told me that once this is in place their goal would be to expand their presence up north. Would they ever look at UC?
                        Last edited by ME80; 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Texas will break it. They've already broken the Big 12 once. They pissed everyone off with LHN and DeLoss Dodds has an ego the size of the state itself.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by ME80 View Post
                            I have always believed that the Big 12 was more iffy than the ACC. I still believe that Texas will break or make that conference.

Interesting last week hearing about the new SEC Network. A long time friend and Tennessee fan told me that once this is in place their goal would be to expand their presence up north. Would they ever look at UC?
                            If and only if they want to take on the BIG whatever head to head in their own back yard. The SEC and Big 12 are already winning most of the recruiting battles with the BIG whatever. I just don't see SEC adding our Bearcats evev in that scenario. I would place the odds at very slim. Though I will take any hope at all.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              Texas will break it. They've already broken the Big 12 once. They pissed everyone off with LHN and DeLoss Dodds has an ego the size of the state itself.
                              Texas & ND...the 2 most powerful programs who can dictate the rules.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X