ACC Network / Grant issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACC Network / Grant issue

According to John Ourand, Raycom and Fox own the ACC TV rights until 2027. The Grant of Rights was written with the understanding that each school would gain money from a TV network partnership with ESPN.

So, if you look at options:

A) ESPN buys out the Fox and Raycom contract
    B) Grant of Rights gets renegotiated
    C) Grant of Rights goes up in flames and it's open season on expansion again.

Cross your fingers.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I've got some gas and matches. Anybody have any kindling to get the fire started?
    RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
      I've got some gas and matches. Anybody have any kindling to get the fire started?
      I'm right there with you. Let's get this party started!!

Comment

Terps Moving To The Big Ten

Sounds like Maryland is going to pay the 50 million.

Moving Out: Terps Moving To The Big Ten
        Debt is the answer to that question. Maryland stated that in 2012, they operated with $21 million in debt, from what they called “past financial decisions” and that the ACC was withholding $15 million dollars in revenue from Maryland. In order to leave the ACC though, they will have to pay $52 million dollars in exit fees. So, by my math, they are about $37 million dollar in debt.

In order to cut costs, Maryland has also cut seven sports: Men’s and women’s swimming; men’s tennis; women’s water polo; acrobatics and tumbling; and the school’s men’s cross-country and indoor track and field. The cuts are estimated to save the ‘Terps $17 million dollars by 2017.

The big reason why Maryland chose the Big Ten is the conference payouts. When Maryland joins the Big Ten for the 2014 season, they will immediately make $32 million in revenue, $12 million more than the ACC’s $20 million payout to their schools. The Big Ten’s payout to Maryland will increase to $33 million in 2015, $34.5 million in 2016, and then it will jump to $43 million in 2017 after the Big Ten renews their TV contract. Then the payout will increase to $44 million in 2018 and $45 million in 2019.
        http://baltimoresportsreport.com/ter...ten-44526.html

Comment

that's interesting math on the "debt". not sure how he interpreted that but by my read they would be 58m in debt at the most favorable interpretation. 21m+exit fee, less the w/h revenue. either way, a lot of jack. you have to love the fact checking world of the slimmed down media business.

Comment

Interesting take on the Maryland issue. It may now be moving somewhat closer to resolution.

http://frankthetank.me/

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              According to John Ourand, Raycom and Fox own the ACC TV rights until 2027. The Grant of Rights was written with the understanding that each school would gain money from a TV network partnership with ESPN.

So, if you look at options:

A) ESPN buys out the Fox and Raycom contract
              B) Grant of Rights gets renegotiated
              C) Grant of Rights goes up in flames and it's open season on expansion again.

Cross your fingers.
              I hadn't heard news/rumors of ESPN buying out the Fox/Raycom deal with ACC. It makes sense that they want their beloved Dookies on ESPN as much as possible. Could you share sources?

If the GOR goes up in smoke, it's all bets off on the race to four super conferences. I'd like to believe these super conferences would limit themselves to 16 teams as it becomes a scheduling nightmare for sports not named football. My money is on the Big 12 surviving, there's too much oil money in Texas and Oklahoma for a Big 12 failure.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

There is a lot of Oil Money in Alaska, but I never hear a peep about their college athletics... so I am not sure what you mean by that.
                In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                  I hadn't heard news/rumors of ESPN buying out the Fox/Raycom deal with ACC. It makes sense that they want their beloved Dookies on ESPN as much as possible. Could you share sources?

If the GOR goes up in smoke, it's all bets off on the race to four super conferences. I'd like to believe these super conferences would limit themselves to 16 teams as it becomes a scheduling nightmare for sports not named football. My money is on the Big 12 surviving, there's too much oil money in Texas and Oklahoma for a Big 12 failure.
                  Yep agree about the Big 12 surviving. As the old saying goes "he who has the gold makes the rules" and Texas has certainly got the gold. I find all the speculation about Texas joining another conference almost comical. Texas, in both academics and athletics, is far to rich, proud and powerful to ever put themselves in a position of being subordinate to another conference.

Comment

Maryland, ACC reach $31 million settlement

The sides agreed that the ACC will keep a $31,361,788 sum that it had been previously withholding from the school, and that Maryland does not need to make any more payments to the league.

The release says that other lawsuits filed in North Carolina and Maryland will be dismissed, including a $157 million counterclaim that the state of Maryland filed in January, alleging that the ACC's initial fee and decision to withhold league revenues ran afoul of league rules.
                    http://www.si.com/college-football/2...lawsuit-update

ACC, Maryland settle legal dispute over Terrapins' departure for the Big Ten for $31.4 million
                    Under terms announced Friday, the ACC will keep the roughly $31.4 million it had previously withheld from Maryland and the school will not owe the conference any more money.

In addition, lawsuits filed by both sides will be dismissed.
                    http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/ar...spute-for-314m

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X