X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten expanding again?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...be_coming.html

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...son-media-days

Here we go again. This time Texas is being mentioned to the BIG with UCONN, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma as #16.

http://kentsterling.com/2013/07/25/t...ten-expansion/

Lets just imagine Texas and Missouri going. All of the sudden the SEC is need of a team, and a market for their SEC Network. Message board chatter for all conferences in need of replacement everyone has mentioned our CINCINNATI BEARCATS as the first team to fill the holes left by the teams going to the Big 10. Should we hope and pray that Mizzou takes the BIG and we sneak in? Whatever happens I think Cincinnati is going to benefit in this next wave.

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post
    Lets just imagine Texas and Missouri going. All of the sudden the SEC is need of a team, and a market for their SEC Network. Message board chatter for all conferences in need of replacement everyone has mentioned our CINCINNATI BEARCATS as the first team to fill the holes left by the teams going to the Big 10. Should we hope and pray that Mizzou takes the BIG and we sneak in? Whatever happens I think Cincinnati is going to benefit in this next wave.
    Uconn and Cincy are obviously the next men in and will benefit from any renewed conference shuffling BUT UC to the SEC makes little sense as it does not expand the SEC's viewing or marketing footprint at all. Nor does UC's budget match that of other eligible programs (looking toward the Big12 or even a legal challenge to the ACC's media agreement).
    McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

I'm not saying this as a proponent of UC going to the SEC at all, but there are many things that could be argued as to why the SEC would want UC. It does at a market that has very few viewers currently (UK fans). It also provides the SEC with a direct recruiting line into the midwest and Big 10 country. The SEC would love nothing more than to steal recruits from Big 10 teams.
      Nate Shelton

Now Is The Time, This Is The Place

Comment

Originally posted by nbshelton View Post
        The SEC would love nothing more than to steal recruits from Big 10 teams.
        Considering that the SEC already is the #1 football power conference in the country, with fertile recruiting grounds throughout the South, I doubt if they lose much sleep over not getting the best of the crop in the Midwest. (They still have gotten a few gems over the years out of this area, but it's not a driving force.) They also wouldn't be interested in the rest of the crop in the Midwest. Those players go to the MAC.

As big of a UC fan as I've been since the 1960's, I don't see the Cats getting even a sniff from the SEC brass ... or the B1G, for that matter. Our best hope is for the ACC to come calling or even the B12, should the B1G raid them again.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          Considering that the SEC already is the #1 football power conference in the country, with fertile recruiting grounds throughout the South, I doubt if they lose much sleep over not getting the best of the crop in the Midwest. (They still have gotten a few gems over the years out of this area, but it's not a driving force.) They also wouldn't be interested in the rest of the crop in the Midwest. Those players go to the MAC.

As big of a UC fan as I've been since the 1960's, I don't see the Cats getting even a sniff from the SEC brass ... or the B1G, for that matter. Our best hope is for the ACC to come calling or even the B12, should the B1G raid them again.
          If you noticed, I did state that I am not posting that as a fan of UC going to the SEC, as I am not. But I do find it quite clear that outside of a few southern states, Ohio is as fertile a recruiting ground as any other state. You can't tell me that the SEC would not love to have an in directly into the backyard of Ohio State. They would get visibility in Ohio with many of those teams player here on a yearly basis. I was just pointing out that the SEC does have plenty to gain if they were to at UC. I do not feel that going to the SEC is best for UC though as the ACC and Big 12 would both be much better fits.
          Nate Shelton

Comment

If the top teams from the Big 12 leave, then I see the Big 12 falling from the "power five". I am not sure if I would want UC to go there if they lose their brand teams.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              If the top teams from the Big 12 leave, then I see the Big 12 falling from the "power five". I am not sure if I would want UC to go there if they lose their brand teams.
              I have a hard time seeing the Big 12 losing the "power 5" label since they have been one of the leaders in the "4th division" stuff. They have too many well-known teams to ever lose that prestige in my opinion as well. I could see 1-2 teams leaving for greener pastures, but when you have Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Ok. State, West Virginia, Baylor, TCU....thats a lot of football power to not include in the power 5. Even without 1-2 of those teams, I still see it as at least on the same level as the ACC, if not better.
              Nate Shelton

Comment

If the B10 goes to 16 - we won't be the next man in; we will be competing with the B12 teams for a spot in the next rotation. All the BE teams except UConn have been picked before us.

We should be hoping for 5 power conferences of 14 (70 teams); but if TX goes to the B10 - that isn't going to happen.

If the BIG goes to 16 - then I think the elite programs shrink to 4 power conference of 16 (64 teams).

In the P5 there are currently 64 teams - Big (14), SEC (14), B12 (10), PAC (12), ACC (14)

In above scenario - you'd have
                SEC looking for 2 - OU and TT
                PAC looking for 4 - Kansas, OSU, KSU, BYU
                ACC looking for 3 - UWV, UConn, UC (hard for me to imagine ACC going for TX teams, but if they do - we could be left out).

Teams that lose out - USF, Memphis, Baylor, ISU, TCU, BSU, Air Force . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat_DF View Post
                  If the B10 goes to 16 - we won't be the next man in; we will be competing with the B12 teams for a spot in the next rotation. All the BE teams except UConn have been picked before us.

We should be hoping for 5 power conferences of 14 (70 teams); but if TX goes to the B10 - that isn't going to happen.

If the BIG goes to 16 - then I think the elite programs shrink to 4 power conference of 16 (64 teams).

In the P5 there are currently 64 teams - Big (14), SEC (14), B12 (10), PAC (12), ACC (14)

In above scenario - you'd have
                  SEC looking for 2 - OU and TT
                  PAC looking for 4 - Kansas, OSU, KSU, BYU
                  ACC looking for 3 - UWV, UConn, UC (hard for me to imagine ACC going for TX teams, but if they do - we could be left out).

Teams that lose out - USF, Memphis, Baylor, ISU, TCU, BSU, Air Force . . .
                  I have a hard time believing that if there are 4 groups of 16 to reach 64 in the 'chosen' group, and since like you said above, there already are 64 in the P5, that anyone else would be let in (i.e. UC and UConn). It seems like the B12 would just get split up and redistributed to the other 4. I probably oversimplified it though.

Comment

damn it must feel good to be....

Wake Forest
                    Duke
                    Washington State
                    Baylor

Such great programs all in one breath!

Comment

Wish the pair of Ohio senators gave a hoot like these chaps in IL do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...51--ncaaf.html
                      "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Yeah, especially since Cincinnati is already there with athletics and academics.
                        In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                        Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Maryland having issues. ACC having issues with Maryland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...ting-nasty.php
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            Maryland having issues. ACC having issues with Maryland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...ting-nasty.php
                            I'm as ready for another round of realignment as anyone, especially if it means UC is in the conversation; however, I vehemently disagree with this author on Grant if Rights. The exit fee case in Maryland v ACC is the difference maker!

As I understand it, it doesn't matter which conference televises a game or even if the school has a stand alone contract to televise some home games. There's no doubt in my mind that B1G would get revenue for a Michigan game at Texas. However, with GOR, Texas would not receive any revenue. The portion allocated to Texas would go to Big 12, not Texas and B1G keeps rest for conference and Michigan.

I wish GOR was a house of cards, but I see it differently than this writer and believe the judge in Kansas or Iowa would see it as I do.

Any lawyers out there wish to comment?
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Another source says Maryland believes the ACC was trying to lure Big 10 schools and that ESPN was at the heart of it. It will be interesting.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/mary...-and-espn.html

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X