Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful What You Wish For

2013 college football preview: BCS ending, but segregation here to stay

In their wisdom, college football's power brokers have systematically eliminated the Cinderella factor in the sport. Not that there was much of one before the BCS. For all the buzz Boise State created these last few years, it never played for a national championship. Hawaii brought 25,000 fans to New Orleans a few years ago for the Sugar Bowl. The odds of Hawaii ever getting back to New Orleans -- the bowl is now owned by the Big 12 and SEC -- are slim.

No matter how neutral, the new selection committee in '14 will have to subjectively consider a one-loss LSU is more deserving of such a berth than an undefeated Hawaii.

Meanwhile, those BCS programs live to play at the highest level of the game based on such nebulous terms as ratings, market share and footprint. In essence, Michigan at 6-6 is much more desirable than an undefeated Fresno State.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...era-winds-down

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
    2013 college football preview: BCS ending, but segregation here to stay

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...era-winds-down
    Every school has access to the grand prize here...the problem is with the assumption that step 1 = an undefeated season.

The real step 1 is in building a program with lasting success. All schools play by the same rules on this one. You must first have credibility before you are considered.

If you can show repeated success over time, you will be considered. This is why a 1-loss LSU team is in the discussion, while a 1-loss Kentucky or 1-loss Vanderbilt team would not be.

While being in an "elite" conference may help to build a reputation more quickly...the door is open to all. Consistent winning will do wonders for a program.

If Cincinnati goes undefeated this year, it will be taken a lot more seriously than, say, USF would be. Why? Because of being champions 5 out of the last 6 years...and they have a coach, TT, who has been there before.

It's not easy climbing the mountain...but it's possible

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
      Every school has access to the grand prize here...the problem is with the assumption that step 1 = an undefeated season.

The real step 1 is in building a program with lasting success. All schools play by the same rules on this one. You must first have credibility before you are considered.

If you can show repeated success over time, you will be considered. This is why a 1-loss LSU team is in the discussion, while a 1-loss Kentucky or 1-loss Vanderbilt team would not be.

While being in an "elite" conference may help to build a reputation more quickly...the door is open to all. Consistent winning will do wonders for a program.

If Cincinnati goes undefeated this year, it will be taken a lot more seriously than, say, USF would be. Why? Because of being champions 5 out of the last 6 years...and they have a coach, TT, who has been there before.

It's not easy climbing the mountain...but it's possible
      Exactly. In fact, I'd venture to guess that an undefeated UC team would be taken more seriously than an undefeated Purdue, Illinois, Syracuse, or pretty much any lower-tier power conference school (except an SEC team simply because of who they'd have to beat).

Well, maybe not this year because of our weak schedule. But next year, when we play OSU, definitely.
      UC MBA '08
      Purdue '15

Comment

Dream on!!!!

An undefeated P5 team will always carry more weight in the rankings than an undefeated UC or any other team on the outside looking in.

Is it right? No.

Is it true? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
          Dream on!!!!

An undefeated P5 team will always carry more weight in the rankings than an undefeated UC or any other team on the outside looking in.

Is it right? No.

Is it true? Yes.
          Quoted for truth.

UC has been shunned, thrown out to the wolves by the big boys. Until/unless they get an invite to one of the big boy playboxes, UC will always be on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainProbasco View Post
            Exactly. In fact, I'd venture to guess that an undefeated UC team would be taken more seriously than an undefeated Purdue, Illinois, Syracuse, or pretty much any lower-tier power conference school (except an SEC team simply because of who they'd have to beat).

Well, maybe not this year because of our weak schedule. But next year, when we play OSU, definitely.
            Could not disagree more. This is the very essence of the problem UC has faced up to this point and will only become more difficult to overcome once the shift of power to the P5 conferences occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainProbasco View Post

I know your ventured guess would be wrong. Let's look at 2014.
              UC would have a win over OSU, UConn, USF, Miami (OH) then who?
              Purdue would have wins @ND, Iowa, @Illinois, MSU, @Minn, @NEB, Wisc
              or
              Illinois would have wins @Wash, @NEB, Purdue, @Wisc, Minn, @OSU, Iowa, PSU
              or even
              Syracuse: wins @ND, FSU, UofL, NCSU, @Pitt, @Clemson, @WF, @BC

for future schedules you can look here - http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/2014...-schedules.php

A P5 undefeated season is ALWAYS going to be judged to be a stronger resume than any undefeated UC season or any team outside of the P5+ND.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post

I agree that the first step is building a strong program. Unfortunately, there are structural inequalities built into Div 1 football - P5+ND have advantages in terms of money, exposure, scheduling, and access to bowls. Over time, these structural inequities will impact recruiting and performance. If UC doesn't get over to the P5 side soon; we will be back to the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat_DF View Post
                  I agree that the first step is building a strong program. Unfortunately, there are structural inequalities built into Div 1 football - P5+ND have advantages in terms of money, exposure, scheduling, and access to bowls. Over time, these structural inequities will impact recruiting and performance. If UC doesn't get over to the P5 side soon; we will be back to the 80s.
                  I agree. However some of the comments by CTT recently have me wondering. On more than one occasion he has stated that "UC Football will be fine, but the rest of the AAC has to also pull their weight for the conference to be a success". Does he believe that UC football can still thrive outside the P5, or is it that he believes that UC will ultimately find their way into the P5??

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                    I agree. However some of the comments by CTT recently have me wondering. On more than one occasion he has stated that "UC Football will be fine, but the rest of the AAC has to also pull their weight for the conference to be a success". Does he believe that UC football can still thrive outside the P5, or is it that he believes that UC will ultimately find their way into the P5??
                    I can't imagine him saying that UC football won't be fine in public. Can you?

It would cause too much uncertainty and create a situation where it would be difficult to raise $$ and recruit. I think behind the scenes, CTT is doing all he can to get UC to a P5 conference - though it looks like we may be heading to a P4 world and looking for the next opening in the P5 world (SEC or B10).

Comment

Look, it's a situation that i have maintained for many years. If fans want this to progress, they have to support the program almost blindly. The "competition" you are trying to align yourselves with has that kind of loyalty. It's a given that folks have to turn out, or it will be very difficult to get included in whatever transpires moving forward. They can only do so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat_DF View Post
                        I can't imagine him saying that UC football won't be fine in public. Can you?

It would cause too much uncertainty and create a situation where it would be difficult to raise $$ and recruit. I think behind the scenes, CTT is doing all he can to get UC to a P5 conference - though it looks like we may be heading to a P4 world and looking for the next opening in the P5 world (SEC or B10).
                        Obviously, CTT isn't going to express any doubts he has publicly. However, if what you're implying is true, why did CTT come here in the first place? The idea that he willingly walked into an untenable situation is crazy. The man obviously believes he can be successful at UC or he wouldn't be here.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                          Obviously, CTT isn't going to express any doubts he has publicly. However, if what you're implying is true, why did CTT come here in the first place? The idea that he willingly walked into an untenable situation is crazy. The man obviously believes he can be successful at UC or he wouldn't be here.
                          You make the assumption that CTT sees this as a long term engagement and not a 2-3 year pit stop.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                            You make the assumption that CTT sees this as a long term engagement and not a 2-3 year pit stop.
                            Even so, he needs to win at UC to garner the attention he would need to move on to a higher profile school, if that is his intent. If he did not believe he could win at UC to position himself to advance, why would he come?

Comment

Dan Wolken's write up on his visit to Higher Ground: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nnati/2650521/

"Tuberville was supposed to be president of the American Football Coaches Association this year, but he asked to have his term delayed because of everything that came with changing jobs. That responsibility instead has fallen to Texas' Mack Brown this year, but Tuberville will be president in two years, which could be interesting timing given all the talk of a separation within Division I."
                              Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X