X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Exec Vincent discusses need for D-League

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...pmental-league

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-possibility/

I think this makes sense for footbal & basketball players. This is also good for the Pro Leagues as well as for colleges. Out of the thousands of football recruits and nearly a thousand basketball recruits, only a small percentage will go this route straight out of high school. The top few might even have a shot at making a developmental team. The rest of the developmental players will come from college grads up to around 25 who haven't made a pro roster.

A three year minimum on campus would send a few kids to paycheck now, even if in the D-Leagues. Those kids were going to be gone from college as soon as possible anyway.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

What would be the difference between the D-league and Canadian football (other than a few rule changes)?
    Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
      What would be the difference between the D-league and Canadian football (other than a few rule changes)?
      There would be a few differences with respect to NFL and CFL:

1. Pro teams would have the rights to the D-League player and could control calling up the player. This is essentially an extension of the 5 man practice squad with ability to play games too.

2. The teams could only protect 58 players on the roster and during offseason there would be a "rule 5 draft", which of course would be televised and marketed.

3. Some players would have potential to make more money directly out of high school - any players "called up" during the season would get at least league minimum pay.

4. Not playing in Canada!! or other Northern locations.

5. Money!!! Marketing of teams and games. A star player could take a rehab assignment. The games would absolutely be televised.

6. As the NFL expands to 18 regular season games, I could see each team play an exhibition game against their minor league team - every team still gets two home exhibition games while only playing one away exhibition game. In this way the 2 extra regular season games would truly be extra revenue.

7. Players who could use just a little more seasoning before playing as a rookie. There is a huge jump between college and NFL. I expect there will be a big difference between D-League and college. This gives players a chance to prove their worth and get used to the game. A first round draft pick could play first 4-5 games in D-League if not the whole season.

8. NFL rosters could be expanded for games 17 & 18 to allow play-off teams to rest the stars and losers to see what "the kid" has got to work on during offseason.

NET: Everyone wins with this. Players get automatic extra two games pay, based on their existing per game pay. Teams get extra home games in regular season. League gets extra tv money deals and opportunities. Fans get to see less of the "practice games" and more football. Fans in non-pro towns would get a team as there would be a need to add a minor league team for every NFL team.

The losers in this would be traditional college football powers as the five star recruits would most likely opt to try-out for the draft.
      Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Good breakdown. I'd question #1 though. That's not how the NBA does it, correct? (not saying they have to do it like the NBA)

With alot of good points you made, I guess it really comes down to would people pay enough money to watch these games and make it profitable for the owners.
        Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
          ...I guess it really comes down to would people pay enough money to watch these games and make it profitable for the owners.
          This is not a "if you build it, they will come" guarantee. The direct competition will be college football in areas that do not currently have an NFL team. The graduates of most schools will continue to be true to their alma mater. Many fans who follow and support the local U, do it for a variety of reasons. If those fans see the NFL D League as a step up in entertainment, then this could fly.

The NFL Network and ESPN will get media exposure. I believe fans will fill the stands for minor league football. Unlike, NFL Europe, the fans in the U.S. don't seem to be able to get enough football. High School football is on tv because people watch it.

Which cities would be likely to get a team?? I would think you would want to target areas with larger military bases nearby and avoid cities with major college football as best as possible - while still hitting major population areas. You also want to be not too far away from the NFL parent team - maybe even share the team name so that brand recognition is spread to new areas. I can even see the NFL owners owning their minor league team. Here's a few I can see out of the gate.

Fresno, CA
          Sacramento, CA
          Portland, OR
          Las Vegas, NV
          Salt Lake City, UT
          Fargo, ND
          Sioux Falls, SD
          Omaha, NE
          Witchata, KS
          San Antonio, TX
          El Paso, TX or Lubbock, TX
          Shreveport, LA
          Little Rock, AR
          Iowa City, IA
          Milwaukee, WI
          Louisville, KY or Lexington, KY
          Memphis, TN
          Knoxville, TN
          Birmingham, AL
          Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL
          Fort Myers, FL or Orlando, FL
          Savannah, GA
          Charleston, SC
          Duram/Raleigh, NC
          Annapolis, MD
          Columbus, OH
          Erie, PA
          Harrisburg, PA
          Syracuse, NY
          Albany, NY
          Atlantic City, NJ
          Portland, ME or Bangor, ME

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
            This is not a "if you build it, they will come" guarantee. The direct competition will be college football in areas that do not currently have an NFL team. The graduates of most schools will continue to be true to their alma mater. Many fans who follow and support the local U, do it for a variety of reasons. If those fans see the NFL D League as a step up in entertainment, then this could fly.

The NFL Network and ESPN will get media exposure. I believe fans will fill the stands for minor league football. Unlike, NFL Europe, the fans in the U.S. don't seem to be able to get enough football. High School football is on tv because people watch it.

Which cities would be likely to get a team?? I would think you would want to target areas with larger military bases nearby and avoid cities with major college football as best as possible - while still hitting major population areas. You also want to be not too far away from the NFL parent team - maybe even share the team name so that brand recognition is spread to new areas. I can even see the NFL owners owning their minor league team. Here's a few I can see out of the gate.

Fresno, CA
            Sacramento, CA
            Portland, OR
            Las Vegas, NV
            Salt Lake City, UT
            Fargo, ND
            Sioux Falls, SD
            Omaha, NE
            Witchata, KS
            San Antonio, TX
            El Paso, TX or Lubbock, TX
            Shreveport, LA
            Little Rock, AR
            Iowa City, IA
            Milwaukee, WI
            Louisville, KY or Lexington, KY
            Memphis, TN
            Knoxville, TN
            Birmingham, AL
            Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL
            Fort Myers, FL or Orlando, FL
            Savannah, GA
            Charleston, SC
            Duram/Raleigh, NC
            Annapolis, MD
            Columbus, OH
            Erie, PA
            Harrisburg, PA
            Syracuse, NY
            Albany, NY
            Atlantic City, NJ
            Portland, ME or Bangor, ME
            It's funny that you mention Columbus on here - I was listening to the local sports radio guys on my way home from work last night and they were discussing this. They don't seem to think it will impact schools like OSU - only some of the lesser schools. Using their example, a school like Purdue is going to lose out on its chance to get a 4-5 star left over recruit because that guy will go straight to the D-League to start making money...
            I agree with what red-n-black said before, that the bigger schools like OSU are going to feel it first, but I think it will just trickle down from there (where it would impact UC). Imagine, a star QB recruit that OSU would normally pursue decides to skip NCAA completely. So, the next in line is the under the radar guy that UC would normally have a chance at, is now being pursued by OSU and UC - if things hold true and OSU has more TV exposure, they're going to win on the middle of the road guys and leave slimmer pickings for everyone else. Essentially, everything will stay the same, college football in its entirity would just be watered down.

Comment

Originally posted by mjv780 View Post
              ... that the bigger schools like OSU are going to feel it first, but I think it will just trickle down from there (where it would impact UC). Imagine, a star QB recruit that OSU would normally pursue decides to skip NCAA completely. So, the next in line is the under the radar guy that UC would normally have a chance at, is now being pursued by OSU and UC - if things hold true and OSU has more TV exposure, they're going to win on the middle of the road guys and leave slimmer pickings for everyone else. Essentially, everything will stay the same, college football in its entirity would just be watered down.
              I agree with your point that bigger schools would go after the best remaining available recruits; however, there are two things to consider as this will affect the playing field in college.

1. No recruit is can't miss. That said, the higher rankings are generally more likely to contribute. In general, schools like 'Bama, USC, TX, OU etc.. will win recruiting battles for available players; however, they will not win them all.

2. Only a handful high schoolers will try this route and not all will make it. The D-League will focus on getting almost ready NFL players ready for the NFL. Most high schoolers will not be physically ready to compete in the D-League because it will not just be against their peers. Most of the D-League players will be college grads.

3. Recruiting is about relationships. The big schools will still target 4 and 5 star guys first. If these kids decide to opt for draft straight out of high school, the big schools may find it difficult to win over a kid who was their second choice.

You are correct, there will be a drop in talent at the college level (I think it will be relatively small) and the big schools will find a way to "lure" the best remaining talent. The end result will be a strong NFL, a strond D-League product, and an ever stong college football presence.

This will dramatically change the face of college basketball!

Comment

The main reason it will not happen is that the players coming into a developmental league will need great coaching to get them ready. It is not always just about the physical side of things. The best coaches for that job are currently in college football. Can the NFL afford to pay the next-best tier of coaches (the step below NFL head coach) that is not in college to be in the developmental league? I doubt it.
                In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

I think we are forgetting a number of things. Who will watch these D-League games? Not me. Lack of stadiums and amenities could result in little or no attendance? I understand some of the money will come from ESPN or TV deals. Who will be watching? How much will that be? Will the teams have to rely of local advertising and how much will that be?
                  I like the idea of NFL teams looking at these players in the early stages of their careers at college and the NFL team pays the player a small amount of money towards a contract and has input on the players development while in college. For instance, lets say Gilbert from Princeton High School enters UC as a freshman. A NFL team likes his talents and attributes, drafts or signs him to a contract. While he is at UC, he gets his degree or works towards the degree, he also gets rights from jersey sales and he gets a contract with benefits from an NFL team. If he is ready by his junior year (limit junior or senior only) then he can go to the NFL and play. If not, he continues, gets his degree and the team can pick him up after graduation or allow his contract to run. This would benefit UC because schools in close proximity to NFL teams may have an inside track to players and coaches in the NFL.

Comment

Nobody watches the NBDL either. hat's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                      Nobody watches the NBDL either. hat's your point?
                      The NBA (and hence) the NBDL are no where near as popular as the NFL. The reason Buffalo vs New Mexico is on tv Wednesday night is that people will watch football on tv. It is almost irregardless of the level. You won't see minor league baseball, Fall League or even much of the early spring training games on tv either.

The NBDL is not as good to watch as college for several reasons. The NFDL would be equivalent to or slightly better than college. The player salaries would be equivalent to minor league baseball and the revenue would be largely on fan attendance (as it is in minor league baseball).

Is there a tv market for NFDL? Who knows! Probably, if done right. The games could be on Tue/Wed/Thur to allow for openings. The development teams could play in the same city, use the same schedule/stadiums. D Bears would be vastly different from Da Bears

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X