Clear All

• Not Good

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ions-expansion

This is not good. I think we may be stuck for awhile

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-to-go-all-out

Another take from BYU's perspective.

Comment

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...t-in-expansion

And the Big 12's quick response. Yikes!!!

Comment

This set of quotes says all that needs to be said about Big 12 expansion -

"Luck added that there are no "available teams" -- schools from the non-Power Five leagues -- that would add value to the Big 12's per-school revenue.

At the Big 12's annual spring meetings last week, the league announced a record $220.1 million in distribution revenue, earning the Big 12 more per school in revenue than the SEC and ACC.

"Our denominator is 10," Luck said. "The more you split it up ... I don't think we can find a partner who's available right now to stay at the value we have (per school) or let alone increase what we have. That's the consensus we have (staying at 10)."

Unless a Championship game is required for entry into the playoff, the Big 12 is happy to have the largest per school payout, with a tougher schedule than any other Power 5 conference.

Sadly, the "Not Good" thread title is appropriate.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Bad news for UC expansion (in the short term) but lets be honest.. did anybody really think UC was going somewhere in the next 2-3 years.. Earliest I saw anything happening would be after playoffs expand to 8 teams (it will happen, 4 isn't much different than previous system). BUT, this gives UC time to continue grow and be the dominate team in the AAC in football/basketball so when conferences look for 1 more we are high on the list.

Also, this leaves BYU desperate for a home as SEC and ACC Will not schedule them anymore and there is a very strong possibility that BYU could partner with The American the way ND does with ACC and they could schedule a minimum of 5 AAC teams each year (they almost did this year), or even better just join the AAC in football only. So I really don't see any of the information above as that bad of information for UC in the long run.

Comment

The Big 12 has been saying for awhile now that they want to stay at 10 schools. So, this really isn't "new" news. It's just outright saying what we already new. And with them splitting "a record $220.1 million" this year. These greedy colleges are definitely not going to give that up.

Moreover, if Coach Tubs and Mick can keep recruiting the way they have been, it going to force someone to take a look at us. I say let's grow our brand more here in the American, maybe even develop a loyal fan base. Last thing we need right now, is to go to the Big 12 and get stomped a la WVU.

Comment

We got screwed, plain and simple. Now we just have to live with it. I am to the point where I don't really watch or care about college football anymore, with the exception of UC and the AAC. The unfairness is really depressing though, since some schools have never really been competitive even with all the extra money from the big time conferences. With our top 25 football teams over the past decade we far surpass the likes of Indiana, Purdue, Wake Forest, Maryland and so many others in football. In basketball we are definitely big time and always have been. But we picked a really bad time for so many fans to stay away from the program as a protest to the Huggins firing, which might be one reason why we are still on the outside, among many others.
              Last edited by longtimefan; 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Well, I believe that our academic standings for student-athletes has to be better than the pearl of the ACC - http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...h-roy-williams .

I am actually proud of the way UC has turned their attention to academics utilizing staff, students, and volunteers to mentor and tutor our athletes.

Comment

At this point, it might actually be better if the big 12 breaks up with the issues with texas. It will like put the rest of the schools in play(although) not likely all of them, to form a conference with the uc's, uconn's etc. of the world. It's not ideal, but the options right now are pretty much in the hands of those who offer media contracts. No one is going to give up $'s, unless they can see more $'s.

Comment

UConn has a very highly visible brand name in basketball both men and women. However, do they have that same name in football and do they have the TV market to warrant one of the big 5 to court them? I still believe that UC is located in a hotbed of football talent that basically only tosu and ND get. I know, UM, Boston College, some others but who would you want if you were looking for dollars? UC or UConn? I know that I am highly biased but the Bearcats seem to offer the market that UConn can not and now it is all about the money. Maybe tosu is privately steering the other conferences away from UC?

Comment

The only thing Ohio State steers away from UC is state money on the same scale. Otherwise you are over selling the influence of Ohio State in regards to other conferences. I doubt the Big 12, the ACC or the SEC care at all about what opinion Ohio State has.
                      In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                      Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Maybe the best thing to do is enhance the AAC TV contract when that becomes available (five years). Also, taking a look at BYU as a possible member is another thought I think a few above have touched on. If we can't join em, beat em. the AAC is a solid football conference and in time, the AAC should have a solid basketball conference too. One could argue now that the AAC is also solid in basketball with the national champion coming out of the AAC. Maybe making the AAC stronger is the best, most viable option we have???

Also, alot of people seem to forget that not everything hinges on the big 12 or 10 whatever they are, expanding. If the real Big 10 expands and takes from the ACC or Big 12, then the doors open again. This could happen without question. The SEC could also expand. It's all possible
                        Last edited by vince8290; 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I suspect that the power 5 conferences are in communications and conspiring to keep the other schools/conference out of the power. I also think that there is some collusion going on there and a thought of taking a monopoly of college sports. Why else have pretty much all of the power 5 conference taken shots across the bow of the NCAA. They have threatened to leave the NCAA and set up shop elsewhere, they want to pay their players and the know that the poorer schools without the huge revenue will never keep up. So, if one does not believe that tosu is not conspiring to keep UC down, one must be confused. Why would they pay a million bucks to get out of a game with UC the year that UC went 12-0? Why else do they refuse to play us in b-ball except the year after the Huggins fallout? They do not want to have any competition within the state. It is all about money, recruiting and perception and as long as UC is not in a power 5 conference, tosu wins that game. Yes, there is a monopoly in college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            Well, I believe that our academic standings for student-athletes has to be better than the pearl of the ACC - http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...h-roy-williams .

I am actually proud of the way UC has turned their attention to academics utilizing staff, students, and volunteers to mentor and tutor our athletes.
                            Criminal Justice is a pretty easy major that shockingly, most basketball and football players major in. Happens here too.

Comment

It used to be an easy major. Most of the FB and BB athletes used to major in it but last I checked our CJ program is #3 nationally. It's not a "garbage" major anymore. Even the guys that majored in it way back and didn't go into pro sports at some level, ended up using it provided that they got their degree.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X