X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope so!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...llegiate-model

I especially like the following quote from the article:

In an ultimate irony, an organization that fights so hard against recruits being paid under the table on the front end will have to pay them legally on the back end. And if the whole thing goes through as presented Friday, look for another round of mind-bending, tradition-crushing conference realignment.

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...llegiate-model

I especially like the following quote from the article:

In an ultimate irony, an organization that fights so hard against recruits being paid under the table on the front end will have to pay them legally on the back end. And if the whole thing goes through as presented Friday, look for another round of mind-bending, tradition-crushing conference realignment.
    Right after that quote, he went on to say " The elite of the elite will cluster together". That's probably not good for us. And in my opinion not good for college football in general.
    Last edited by blackattack; 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

In a way, I almost would like to see all schools not associated with the big 5 to refuse to schedule them. I know that this would mean losing a big payday for many. However, teams like UC could still schedule quality out of conference opponents such as Boise, BYU, etc. So the best of the rest could schedule each other and flip the big 5 the finger.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        In a way, I almost would like to see all schools not associated with the big 5 to refuse to schedule them. I know that this would mean losing a big payday for many. However, teams like UC could still schedule quality out of conference opponents such as Boise, BYU, etc. So the best of the rest could schedule each other and flip the big 5 the finger.
        I'm with you. The non-P5 schools should stick together now and refuse to schedule the P5. Make this exclusive money grab by the P5 schools as painful as possible on the field. Forcing the P5 to play only P5 schools would accomplish several things including: (1) making it difficult for the big boys to schedule 6 home games every year (2) it will create a permanent underclass of schools like Wake, Duke, N.C. State, Utah, Wash State, Illinois, IU, Purdue, Minn, Northwestern, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa St, UK, Vandy, Syracuse, UVa, etc. Going 4-7 or 3-8 every year will get old real quick for these perennial bottom feeders, no matter how much money they're making.

Comment

One thing for certain is that this will be/is a mess. It will be interesting to see how the fans react over the next decade to all of this. Schools/teams with the upper hand can only go so far unless they plan on going into the business of media production full time as if you hurt the entire product(all the lessor schools) a lot of current tv content will be damaged/obsolete. The national networks have to really be concerned about how all of this and the conference networks are going to hurt them as well. The blizzard of issue and likely litigation is large and likely long term. Casting aside many regional rivalries and altering the current balance will likely hurt the product long term.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
            I'm with you. The non-P5 schools should stick together now and refuse to schedule the P5. Make this exclusive money grab by the P5 schools as painful as possible on the field. Forcing the P5 to play only P5 schools would accomplish several things including: (1) making it difficult for the big boys to schedule 6 home games every year (2) it will create a permanent underclass of schools like Wake, Duke, N.C. State, Utah, Wash State, Illinois, IU, Purdue, Minn, Northwestern, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa St, UK, Vandy, Syracuse, UVa, etc. Going 4-7 or 3-8 every year will get old real quick for these perennial bottom feeders, no matter how much money they're making.
            Make me a third subscriber. The only issue is that UC has scheduled games against P5 schools into 2021, and maybe beyond. Does UC cancel these agreements in light of this new development and the continual f***ing that UC and all non-P5 schools are about to get over the next few years? If all non-P5 schools cancel those agreements, then those P5 schools will suddenly have open dates to play each other. So, it does not necessarily hurt them, long-term.
            Last edited by London 'Cat; 08-10-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

It looks like some shedding of the "dead weight" may well occur. It could eventually boil down to four conferences of eight teams each. They will then schedule each other similar to how the NFL does it now. Then the other 100 or so teams will be playing a game that more resembles college football the way it has always been. BTW, when it comes to watching pros, I would much prefer the NFL.

Comment

What if the non big-5 fans and alumni just refuse to watch the big-5 games on TV?

Comment

What if the non big-5 fans and alumni just refuse to watch the big-5 games on TV?
                  Count me in.

Comment

EXCELLENT IDEA!!

Comment

So, contact your cable provider and demand less big 5 games and more American games? Hit the boards and forums of other conferences and spread the word? I am sure that there are more of us than the big 5. I do hate boycotts but just maybe? Oh, what happens if or once UC is invited to a big 5? It is interesting that the b5 are squashing the rest of the conferences but what happens when the b5 starts to feast on their own? When the bottom feeders are deemed not to be holding their own and draining the all might dollar will they be discharged with yesterday's garbage?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X