Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    replied
    Richard, this is totally opinion on my part but my take on Texas is that they are stubborn and entitled and that the university is basically controlled by rich donors who are very conservative in regards to the school and want to protect the university's stature in both the academic and sports world. UT is dealing with an admissions scandal right now where the scenario was that wealthy donors and politicians were allowed to completely bypass the admissions office to get the kids in that they wanted in. This is Texas politics in a nutshell and I think that the political climate down here is playing a big role in the way the university brass is addressing the expansion topic. It's basically an attitude of "We're bigger, better and richer than you and we'll do what we want to do." I fully expect them to still be fiddling in a fire if the conference falls apart.

This is an op-ed but it highlights the problem. http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallas...missions.html/

Leave a comment:

• richard k.
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    I think if he going to evaluate expansion properly on behalf of WVU he has to remove himself from the Ohio State thing and vote in the best interest of his university which would seem to be adding a travel partner in eastern time. I think it's just as important that David Boren is on the committee. He's the biggest voice in favor of expansion of the university presidents. It's also important to note that Texas does not have a voice on this committee. That could be good for us and bad for the conference depending on how things shake out.

Something else that came out yesterday was in an Article from Foxsports that stated that the Big 10 had five teams ready to bolt from the big 12 during the last go around and That OU and Kansas are likely to jump to the Big 10 if the Big 12 starts to fold up.
    If that is true, and it is a HUGE "IF" then perhaps they are, at long last, truly looking out for the long term interest of the conference via the expansion committee. While it is hard to know exactly what the thinking is at UT, it is hard to believe that they don't recall their previous conference's situation when it imploded because no one outside the state of Texas gave a hoot about it - and if OU and Kansas left the Big 12,. with Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri already gone they would be faced with the same scenario. It is equally hard to believe that the administration at UT could be that dense, unless they have another P5 conference invite in hand - but I doubt it would be as cozy/generous a relationship as they currently have with the Big12.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    I think if he going to evaluate expansion properly on behalf of WVU he has to remove himself from the Ohio State thing and vote in the best interest of his university which would seem to be adding a travel partner in eastern time. I think it's just as important that David Boren is on the committee. He's the biggest voice in favor of expansion of the university presidents. It's also important to note that Texas does not have a voice on this committee. That could be good for us and bad for the conference depending on how things shake out.

Something else that came out yesterday was in an Article from Foxsports that stated that the Big 10 had five teams ready to bolt from the big 12 during the last go around and That OU and Kansas are likely to jump to the Big 10 if the Big 12 starts to fold up.

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca2099
    replied
    I don't know about anyone else but I hate that Gee is on this. He has said in the past that we like the city of Cincinnati, but we want it to be an Ohio State city. He is not going to support us as an expansion candidate if he still cares about OSU which I'm sure he does

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    I think it is good that WVU is well represented on the expansion committee. It's a good sign there is an expansion committee! How does Gee being on the committee help or hurt the Bearcats?

Is he going to be loyal to his fabled Buckeyes or see getting a foothold into this state as a way to expand both TV markets and recruiting areas? Does Gee see UC as "One of the Little Sisters of the Poor"?

Gee will play his moves smart, not letting anything out until he's ready to let it out.

Also - any insight on the goal of the committee? Did all members of the Big 12 agree to look at potential expansion candidates or just see it as a good thing to have the formal information in their back pockets?

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    And now comes this. The Big 12 has actually, finally, formed an expansion committee. President Ono's friend Gordon Gee is on it.
    http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article...GZ02/150729694

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X