Idaho & NM State Probably Headed To FCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho & NM State Probably Headed To FCS

When the Mountain West raided the WAC, the latter lost four schools and eventually disbanded for football. The WAC is struggling to stay viable in other sports.

Two schools that were put in untenable positions were Idaho and NM State, which had to settle for moving to the Southern-based Sun Belt Conference. The Sun Belt recently informed those schools, in light of the NCAA's decision to allow 10-team leagues to have a football championship game, that their 4-year contracts will not be extended after 2017.

It appears that Idaho already have concluded that they have no viable alternative but to become the first school to drop from FBS to FCS, most likely by rejoining the Big Sky Conference, which housed the Vandals for 30 years before they moved up. They're still considering staying in FBS as an independent, but that seems unlikely.

NM State is really in a tough situation. The MWC and Sun Belt don't want them and they are geographically a long way from almost every Big Sky school except Northern Arizona (and they aren't that close). Still, their FBS future is probably doomed. Their athletics department is in financial distress. This won't help. I can see why Marvin Menzes would jump at UNLV's basketball head coaching job. Get out of Dodge!

One of the problems these schools will run into on the short term, if FCS is in their futures, is that they must drop from 85 to 63 scholarship players.

Lots of luck!

Idaho pulled the trigger and became the first FBS program to demote themselves to FCS. The Vandals will rejoin the Big Sky Conference for all sports.

By contrast, NM State decided to sit tight as an independent in FBS, as soon as their contract with the Sun Belt terminates following the 2017 football season. They're hoping for further conference realignment that could open a slot. The Aggies are dead meat.

Comment

It's a result of a bigger problem that we face here in Ohio with osu striving to monopolize the entire state market. The article yesterday by i believe Stuart Mandel talks about a surviving model of 20 or 25 programs to compete against the nfl basically. We're obviously left out of that group, but ultimately this is going to have a detrimental impact on the college game really limiting the overall competitiveness of the playing field. HIs take is that at some point, these big schools will just be playing each other for all the money. Crazy, but not so far fetched. Greed rule$ the day.

Comment

I think there will be more than 20-25 programs but eventually the top 50-60 or so will hog all of the money in football and every other conference and school will be irrelevant. It will be interesting to see what happens in basketball. You know they would like to control all of the money but you need more programs then 50-60 in basketball. The new Big East is doing well and even Villanova wins it all last year. Would the big schools cut them out of the tourney in the future? I guess it depends on the what type of TV contracts the big east, AAC, etc. are able to negotiate. If those conferences can stay financially relevant then they will still have a seat at the table.

Comment

I attended a NCAA conference a few years ago and I was surprised that they are almost entirely funded by the television rights (CBS) for the basketball tournament. Without that I not sure if the NCAA would be able to survive.

Comment

Basketball is a different animal. Rosters are only 13 guys, and 5 to play. In theory, if they raised the scholy limits it would make it harder for the non big boys, but you can only do that so much as kids don't want to sit the bench.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X