Wichita St coming to AAC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita St coming to AAC?

John Rothstein in a write up for Fanrag SPorts is saying that WSU could be a basketball only addition to AAC shortly. They are in the process of starting an FBS football program as well.

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/sour...-addition-aac/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

can we add them this basketball season still ?

Comment

Seems odd to me that Wichita State would want to leave the Missouri Valley Conference. On the other hand I can see why the AAC would want them..........the multi-billionaire Koch brothers have been huge benefactors to Wichita State for years. Something tells me there will be strings attached to any deal that brings them to the AAC (like having conference tournaments at their place, scheduling, future conference membership for their football team, etc).
      Last edited by blackattack; 12-15-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I think it's the conference membership for the football team that's the goal here
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

From today. We actually had a really good rivalry with them in the 1960's when we were in the MVC.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...low_twitter_si
          Last edited by longtimefan; 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Looking more and more likely this will happen. Also hearing rumors that VCU might be heading in our direction as well. Neither school currently plays FBS football.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...139945788.html
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

assuming smu can keep their success going and uconn rebounds - adding the shockers (and vcu) would make a solid basketball conference.

Comment

Funnny you should mention SMU. Jankovich's name has come up for Ok St.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I wish we would add Dayton as well.

Comment

We will be adding NKU to our schedule for "x" number of years per our arena agreement. At least we can say that they were a 2017 NCAA team.

Comment

I"d much rather play the local teams than ones which are from far flung smaller schools. You can argue that their is nothing to gain and everything to lose, but at least it's interesting. Dayton and Nku are tourney teams now, so it's only been enhanced.

Comment

Wichita St is now saying they will accept an invitation for Basketball and Olympic Sports if one is formerly offered according to Andy Katz. No mention of restarting the football program at this point. Works out well because they would balance Navy on the other side of the ledger.
                        Last edited by Lobot; 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I finally starting to believe it (Wichita State -> AAC) might really happen, but I don't get it. Where's the value? I talking money. Won't it dilute TV revenue shares? Isn't that why BIG12 (really Big10) didn't expand? How does anyone other than Wichita State profit? I'm convinced it's all about the dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
                            I finally starting to believe it (Wichita State -> AAC) might really happen, but I don't get it. Where's the value? I talking money. Won't it dilute TV revenue shares? Isn't that why BIG12 (really Big10) didn't expand? How does anyone other than Wichita State profit? I'm convinced it's all about the dollars.
                            Remember that AAC TV talks are starting up behind doors in the next year (our initial contract was very short, only 5 years I think?) Plus Wichita has Played in March for 5 years straight now so if they continue that in the AAC that is more basketball dollars each year for the conference and those add up.. If we can have 3-4 teams getting to the Bracket every year and at least 2 of them getting past first round, that's some nice extra cash each year.

Plus it just balances basketball and all the other Olympic sports with 12 teams instead of 11 since Navy only plays football in AAC.

Comment

Looks like it's going to happen, as soon as this year.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...issouri-valley

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X