Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realignment coming?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...e-realignment/

To be honest maybe a court forced structured realignment might be the best thing for UC. It would get some of these smaller schools that can't afford COA out of our way during the next wave. You can't tell me that Wake Forest can keep up with Clemson and FSU on spending. I don't think we can either but I think we'd have a better chance of doing so than a school like Wake.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This stuff makes my head spin. There are so many things that I'd like to say on this topic, but my head can't sort it out right now. The fact that public institutions of higher learning are treated as private sports organizations always makes me feel weird. I know some fans don't see their favorite college football team as a University extra curricular activity. Perhaps the money generated by one public University should be spread to all public Universities within the state, and managed by the state education dept. That might stop the mighty programs from being able to manipulate things the way they do. Although, when was the last time Alabama gave a rats you know what about education. Basically, if you want to professionalize the sport, then do it. But don't pretend that it's about the STUDENT-athlete or academics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
        This stuff makes my head spin. There are so many things that I'd like to say on this topic, but my head can't sort it out right now. The fact that public institutions of higher learning are treated as private sports organizations always makes me feel weird. I know some fans don't see their favorite college football team as a University extra curricular activity. Perhaps the money generated by one public University should be spread to all public Universities within the state, and managed by the state education dept. That might stop the mighty programs from being able to manipulate things the way they do. Although, when was the last time Alabama gave a rats you know what about education. Basically, if you want to professionalize the sport, then do it. But don't pretend that it's about the STUDENT-athlete or academics.
        Yep my sentiments exactly.
        I just don't see much changing in terms of conference realignment going forward. The big boys like it the way it is. Yes it's true that schools like Boston College, Wake Forest, Rutgers, and Vandy wont be able to keep up with the spending and arms race but you have to wonder if the big boys like having those schools in their conferences so they can pad their win-loss records.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Yep my sentiments exactly.
          I just don't see much changing in terms of conference realignment going forward. The big boys like it the way it is. Yes it's true that schools like Boston College, Wake Forest, Rutgers, and Vandy wont be able to keep up with the spending and arms race but you have to wonder if the big boys like having those schools in their conferences so they can pad their win-loss records.
          Yes, padding their records with victories over “Power 5” teams. Just because they are in a Power 5 conference does not make those schools a Power 5 program. Just like there are schools outside the Power 5 that are clearly superior on an annual basis than those same Power 5 programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
            I'd go a slightly different route. If enough Universities wanted to form a semi-professional or professional sports program on campus to generate money, go for it. This would be no different than holding a major concert or allowing FC Cincinnati to rent Nippert. Each school is a minor league affiliate of the pro teams, there is a separate high school draft and pro team dictates if a player goes to single A (Vandy/Wake), double A (Boise, Bearcats), or triple A ('Bama, tO$U). The players would attend classes and have the opportunity to work toward a degree, but get fairly compensated to do so. The schools that do not affiliate with pro teams keep the current collegiate model. There would not be games between the two types of schools, i.e. only paid player programs play against each other. The Bowls could choose traditional collegiate model (no play off not even in the current format) or to be playoff sites for the professional minor league teams. The major consequence would be an end to recruiting violations as5 and 4 star rated players are drafted to level the playing field between schools. Limit the draft to 3-5 rounds so the coaches can still recruit diamonds in the rough so-to-speak. Non-drafted players could elect to sign as free agents or go the traditional collegiate model. Players could be called up to the parent team after spending time in the minors (minimum time could be set differently by NFL and NBA as agreed upon by players unions). This is really the only way to prevent teams like 'Bama from getting all of the top players at each position and ensure they are playing against teams or relatively equal caliber.

The networks and media services would pay top dollar for a league in which Texas had a schedule of Oklahoma, 'Bama, T A&M, tO$U, Michigan, Houtson, USC, and Notre Shame

On a funny aside, this might be the only way the Browns become relevant again as their triple affiliate could be tO$U

Jack Swarbrick had similar thoughts in 2015:
            https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-associations/
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X